Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas Hill Country/ROT Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Texas Hill Country/ROT Rally

I'm heading to the ROT Rally this June, I am leaving a week early from the panhandle of Florida in order to get some good Texas Hill Country riding in prior to the rally. I need some good route/scenic road and stop recommendations. I plan to meander along route 84 through Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana until I hit the Texas state line, from there anything is game for me. I have no planned stops other than the couple of nights at the rally site. I'm game for most anything!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

Texas is a big place, can it be possible that no one from Texas is surfing this site?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Navy, I'll go first. I'm from Houston and have family in Savannah so I've taken 84 through Ms, Al & Ga over there and back. After coming through Natchez on the return I split off 84 and take La 28 through Alexandria to Leesville where I pick up 8 to the Tx border then 63 to Jasper. 190 out of Jasper to Huntsville. From Leesville to Huntsville you go through national forest so some shade and a bit cooler in June when you'll be riding.

You can take 30 out of Huntsville to Bryan. If so, you'll go through Carlos, don't blink you'll miss it. Flashing light at rt 244. Turn right on 244 go a few hundred yards and you can stop at a biker place called Yankees Tavern. Good burgers, cold beer.

Out of Bryan take 21 going southwest all the way to San Marcos avoiding Austin traffic. Take 12/32 from San Marcos to Blanco from there 1888 to Luckenbach for another stop which is just off Hwy 290 at Fredericksburg. Take 16 to Kerrville. Great riding all around there. We have used Kerrville as our base when going to the hill country for a weekend of riding. City of about 15,000 so good options for motels, camping etc.

Many options from Kerrville, 39 through Hunt is really nice or stay on 16 great riding down to 337 through Vanderpool. Bandera a bit east is a cool little town w/ good eats and bars. Must do is the three sisters. Ranch roads 337, 336 and 335. Leaky is the jump off point for that loop of around 100 miles if memory serves. Great little diner (name escapes) in Camp Wood which you'll go through on the loop.

Various ways to get back over to Austin for the ROT.

So many ways to go hard to say which is best other than stay out of Houston and San Antone traffic.

I'll try to come up w/more later, maybe others will post other options.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Ditto!

Ditto on 335, 336, 337 (Twisted Sisters), Bandera, Kerrville, Fredericksburg...all are some of the best areas in Texas to ride. My second piece of advice would be to stay away from the ROT Rally...but then again, I guess thats why you are coming. I'm just not much of a rally person.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Hanzman
Advanced
Default NavyPT Welcome to TEXAS

Agree with others. Might add that we have great riding and biker friendly places here. Just pick a rode south of LLano, west of Johnson City and north of Bandera and you will have picked a good one. FM 965 takes you by Enchanted Rock that is cool.

Must stop in Luckenbach for a beer and listen to some good bands. Most every weekend, I think...

+1 on avoiding ROT unless you like crazies and traffic jams...

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
weelbur2
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

navy pt......try this site: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/tx.html
it's interactive.....anywhere west of San Antonio and back up towards Austin (hill country)

Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

Macker,

Thanks for the local insider advice. I am going to use that and the link provided by weelbur2 to fine tune my route. I really appreciate the support.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Macker
Tourer

No problem, here is some more info. I'm getting old so some of this stuff takes some time to come back to me.

The diner in Camp Wood is called BJ's cafe. Great food and home made pies. Open for breakfast and lunch, can't miss it right on the main drag in town which is less than 1,000 people I'd guess.

Also, you might want to check this place out, just north of Vanderpool off 337.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Finally, as mentioned, Fredericksburg is a neat old German town close to Luckenbach. Good riding around there but you being a Navy man might want to check out the Chester Nimitz naval museum. The great Admiral was raised there.

http://www.nimitz-museum.org/Index.asp

pm me when you think you might hit Texas north of Houston. Maybe I can round up a couple guys and give you some company for part of the trip if you're interested.