Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Srurgis in Sept?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can still have a great trip that time of year if you stay in the Black Hills and the front range for your mountain riding. There are great roads near Ft Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo. But going through Yellowstone on bikes that time of year is iffy at best. Even the Black Hills can have bad weather. I remember one year during rally week riding from Buffalo to Sturgis and seeing my breath when we stopped to warm up at Spearfish.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Late in the year for this ride.

Originally Posted by vanman59
My road crew and I were planning to make teh Sturgis area in mid to late Aug (after the Rally) but due to commitments beyond our control we can't leave until after Sept 20th. Here is our itinerary: Day 1; leave Clt NC to St Jo Mo. (Iron Butt). Day 2 St Jo to Badlands. Day 3; Badlands to Ellsworth AFB. Day 4; Devils Tower, Spearfish Hwy, Deadwood. Day 5; Custer SP (most roads), Crazy Horse Monument. Day 6; Hill City, Sylvan Lake, Custer, Iron Mnt. Road, Mt Rushmore (day and night viewing), Deadwood. Day 7; Ellsworth AFB to Battle of Little Bighorn, Billings Mt., Red Lodge Mt. Day 8; Red Lodge up over Beartooth Hwy to Northeast entrance of Yellowstone NP (staying in Mammoth CG). Day 9 & 10; Yellowstone and Jacson Hole Wy. Day 11; Jackson Hole to Cheyenne Wy. Day 12; Cheyenne Wy to RMNP and Denver Co. Day 13; Denver to Kansas City. Day 14; Kansas City to Nashville Tn. Day 15; Nashville to Clt NC. I am most concerned with Yellowstone and RMNP but any help and advice is appreciated. Thanx.
I believe it's to late in the year for some of these places. I took the wife ( in the car ) Mount Rushmore in late September. It was at the end of the season and places where closing up. Weather in the Badlands wasn't bad but we run into freezing rain while trying to see Devil's Tower. For what it's worth, that's a month to late. I'd pick a southern trip and try this earlier next year.