Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Central Kentucky??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Central Kentucky??

I'm ging to meet my brother in Central Kentucky this year for a 3 or 4 day ride. Whats the best places, roads, H-D dealer, etc. to see in that area. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a 4 day trip down there last summer. We used Somerset for our home base. There is some good riding southeast, south, and southwest of there.

About where do you plan to meet your brother? Somerset area? Lexington area? Bowling Green? Or will it depend on what you find out here? Let me know and I can give you some ideas.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:10 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Probably around the Elizabethtown area is where we'll meet up.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Here are some ride plans I made on the HD site. Click on the "View or Edit Ride plan" button so you can zoom in for more details.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...6&locale=en_US

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...3&locale=en_US

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...9&locale=en_US

The first one I made from some recommended roads I was told about. I haven't done this ride yet.

The second one I did last year. The ride over Pine Mountain on 421 was great! And 92 was great too! I think I heard some banjo music as we rode by some of those hollers!

The third one includes a great road, 192 east of Somerset. You could start this loop from Russell Springs. You also want to ride to Cumberland Falls. I did this area last year too, and enjoyed it a lot! The plan doesn't include this, but you can continue west of Cumberland Falls on that road as well.

By the way, most of Kentucky is dry, so if needed, be sure to bring your beer. There are some spots to buy, mostly in larger cities.

If you decide to meet your brother further north, we have some great rides in southern Indiana as well. Let me know if you need any information.

Last edited by Ozoneman; 01-22-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Thanks for the help! Is there any good H-D dealers in the area? What about cool stuff to check out along the way?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

H-D dealers are few in KY, 2 in Louisville off I-65 and one on a by pass, 1
I-65 at Bowling Green, 1 near I-75 in London. Dealers in Paducah, Lexington and Ashland.
I believe a dealer in nothern Ky area.
Good area to ride and visit.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Yeah, my brother is riding down from Cincy so we figured we'd meet and the middle and hang for a couple days. I guess we are just looking for things to do and see while we are out riding.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Haywired
Road Master

We camped (no scooters) by Bardstown a couple years ago and enjoyed that area. Right along the Bourbon Road. Lots of distilleries to tour in the area. The Civil War Battle Field at Perryville was very interesting. Downtown Bardsttown has the old Talbots Inn with about 80 kinds of Bourbon to sample, had good entertainment while we were there. My Old Kentucky Home state park is right in town and was a nice clean small park. The terrain in the region would be good riding along the backroads. Took the Bluegrass parkway out of there and that was a nice drive heading west.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Haywired
We camped (no scooters) by Bardstown a couple years ago and enjoyed that area. Right along the Bourbon Road. Lots of distilleries to tour in the area. The Civil War Battle Field at Perryville was very interesting. Downtown Bardsttown has the old Talbots Inn with about 80 kinds of Bourbon to sample, had good entertainment while we were there. My Old Kentucky Home state park is right in town and was a nice clean small park. The terrain in the region would be good riding along the backroads. Took the Bluegrass parkway out of there and that was a nice drive heading west.
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to check out the Talbots Inn.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scorchedearthpolicy
Thanks for the help! Is there any good H-D dealers in the area? What about cool stuff to check out along the way?
Along I-65 you have the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave north of there. The Cumberland Falls trip is very worthwhile. New HD dealer in London.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/

http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/cf/

Quick Reply: Central Kentucky??