Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Good Route Thru Fla. - North to South

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Route Thru Fla. - North to South

Tomorrow I'm leaving from the NC mountains to Savanna, Ga for a couple of nights and then down to Key West for a few days. Looking for a good off interstate route thru Florida down to Miami, I'd appreciate some suggestions from those who live thee or have done this. Thanks all.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From Savannah to Florida take US-17. When you reach Yulee, Fla. turn east on SR-200 to Fernandina, Fla. From there, pickup A1A. That will take you to the ferry crossing at Mayport ($2 & about 30 minutes). Then ride A1A to Daytona, then alternate between US-1 & A1A all the way to Miami & Key West.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM
marshrat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Savannah you can take HWY 17 all the way down to Yulee and pick up A1A to Fernandina and Amelia Island. Then take the ferry across to JAX and A1A on down to at least Daytona. Another way thru JAX is continue on at Yulee and take 9 across town and pick up 1 or A1A to St. Augustine. There are some great stopping places along there in FL for eats and drinks. This route takes from 5-8 hours to get to Daytona, depending on stops, etc. The I-95 route rings in around 3-4.

I'm not as familiar with south of Daytona, but cutting inland of I-95 might be worth a look. The traffic from Ft Lauderdale on down is horrendous.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhud
Tomorrow I'm leaving from the NC mountains to Savanna, Ga for a couple of nights and then down to Key West for a few days. Looking for a good off interstate route thru Florida down to Miami, I'd appreciate some suggestions from those who live thee or have done this. Thanks all.

Once you're close to the Keys, take the cutoff road that crosses the Card Sound Bridge. It puts you further north in the Keys and there's a great motorcycle cafe called Alabama Jacks that worth the stop for lunch and some gentle lubrication.

It's a great ride. Enjoy and Ride Safe.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
marshrat
Advanced
Smile

Dang Jinks, great minds run parallel, but you type faster!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

US 27. Takes you west of Lake Okerchobee and down. Pick up the Turnpike north of Doral and 41st St. Follow this to US 1 and continue to the Keys.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the trip last year and a1a is nice. We went inland about 80 miles south of Daytona cant remember the route but inland Florida is not pretty at all. Stay along the coast and you will see much more attractive sights.
Card sound road with a stop at Alabama Jacks is a good route to take once you get to the keys.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

WAAAAAAHHH !!!! I wanna go!!!!...
Sounds like a great trip....Ride Safe!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marshrat
Dang Jinks, great minds run parallel, but you type faster!
I lived in Jax for over 30 years, & have moved to Daytona so I've ridden the area a lot. Your mention of takin' 17 on into Jax & then down to St. Augustine is also good. In fact I could recommend one or two biker friendly bars along the way if mhud was inclined to visit those kinds of places.

If he rides A1A from St. Augustine to Daytona he'll pass within a block of my place. I probably should have mentioned that & offered to buy him a beer if he PM's me.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jinks
From Savannah to Florida take US-17. When you reach Yulee, Fla. turn east on SR-200 to Fernandina, Fla. From there, pickup A1A. That will take you to the ferry crossing at Mayport ($2 & about 30 minutes). Then ride A1A to Daytona, then alternate between US-1 & A1A all the way to Miami & Key West.
This is a very pleasant ride. Switching from AIA to US1 is a no brainer and is very well marked. You will enjot this ride! Several great stops along the way such as bars, shops and open wilderness along the beaches.
Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, Vero Beach are also nice riding areas.
The wife and I are leaving Saturday morning and taking A1A down to Fellsmere to attend the Frogleg Festival. It will be about a 5 hour ride with stops and all.
Once into Palm Beach County, be VERY cautios of the drivers especially on A1A. Have a safe trip. You will have a blast
PM me if you need some specifics.

Last edited by Our07Ultra; 01-20-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added more info

Quick Reply: Good Route Thru Fla. - North to South