Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Good Route Thru Fla. - North to South

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A1A in Florida all the way south to Daytona beach Shores (north of daytona) then jump on US1.
The only slow spot will be in St. Augustine and Marineland. Maybe Flagler beach...but there is a bar/grill that is a must stop. Don't remember the name, but everyone in town knows where it is. It's just north of the pier.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
four40cuda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the bar called that has dollar bills hanging all over??

Old 01-22-2010, 05:57 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
This is the way I would do it and lived in FL 60 years ... While some beach scenery is nice like being able to go more than 5 miles without a red light ..
Agree with you wholeheartedly if there's traffic light every 5 miles or more and cruising along the beach scenery...I would've rode that route.

Thorey

Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Thanks guys, 17, 19 and 27 it is. I like riding, it's been a long winter so far and the bike and I are ready to move, not poke along in traffic. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM
four40cuda
Intermediate

I am in Florida now just waiting on my bike to get here (Thursday). We are heading to the keys also..Cant wait!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:19 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by four40cuda
I am in Florida now just waiting on my bike to get here (Thursday). We are heading to the keys also..Cant wait!!!
Have Fun with the New Bike ... Nice Mopar there.. Brings back Memories.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by four40cuda
Whats the bar called that has dollar bills hanging all over??
You are thinking of the No Name Pub in Big Pine. Some people think the pizza is good, they are wrong. Indeed, the food is not worth ordering (they use imitation crab and call it lobster/artichoke dip) so don’t bother. The beer is cold so stop in long enough to take a photograph of the dollar bills but don’t get anything to eat. If you are hungry wait a few miles and stop in at The Wharf, it will be gulf side just as you are coming off the bridge onto Summerland Key. Otherwise wait until you are in Key West.

Last edited by SA315B; 01-25-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
A1A or 1 got lots of traffic lights for the most part as I do not know if you got the time to cruise from Jax to Miami.

Would suggest you to ride from Jax to Ocala National Forest (17)
From north of Jacksonville to south of Orange Park there are traffic lights almost at every intersection for 20 miles or so. The street changes in downtown Jax just to follow 17 can get almost anyone lost. Good luck on taking 17 thru Jax...I hope you don't go past the navy base at shift change, It'll be stop and go for five miles.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

WE went from SC over thanksgiving and ended up going interstate to Jax then 301 and onto 27 then Krome Ave (nice name for a Harley ride. ) Krome is a very good ride, few lights. Watch the aqua colored bridge just south of the passing zone. Cops on both sides. Count on 3 good hours to get from Florida City to Key West and the same on the return. We caught the Fla turnpike coming out and had very littel traffic coming back. We jumped off where it turns to go to Orlando and caught 95 back. What a night and day experience.

Make sure to see Mallory square, eat a Pepe's . Hogs Breath saloon, avoid margaritaville, except for shirt if you like. Lots of great stuff to do and try a chocolate dipped Key Lime pie....awesome.

There are lots of gays and homeless on Key West. Neither group bothered us, just were there. Lots of tourist traps. catch the Olde towne Trolley or the Conch train. Trolley you can get on and off all day, Conch train you can't.

MAke sure to catch the sunset at mallory square. Street buskers and lots of fun.

Enjoy the trip

Bub

Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
WE went from SC over thanksgiving and ended up going interstate to Jax then 301 and onto 27 then Krome Ave (nice name for a Harley ride. ) Krome is a very good ride, few lights. Watch the aqua colored bridge just south of the passing zone. Cops on both sides. Count on 3 good hours to get from Florida City to Key West and the same on the return. We caught the Fla turnpike coming out and had very littel traffic coming back. We jumped off where it turns to go to Orlando and caught 95 back. What a night and day experience.

Make sure to see Mallory square, eat a Pepe's . Hogs Breath saloon, avoid margaritaville, except for shirt if you like. Lots of great stuff to do and try a chocolate dipped Key Lime pie....awesome.

There are lots of gays and homeless on Key West. Neither group bothered us, just were there. Lots of tourist traps. catch the Olde towne Trolley or the Conch train. Trolley you can get on and off all day, Conch train you can't.

MAke sure to catch the sunset at mallory square. Street buskers and lots of fun.

Enjoy the trip

Bub

Hope the OP has made it to the Keys by now, he left on Jan. 20th. Still great info anyhow.

Quick Reply: Good Route Thru Fla. - North to South