Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Louisiana Highway 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Louisiana Highway 1

We are planing a trip to Southern Louisiana in May. The Harley Map book list Highway 1 as a scenic road.

Anyone rode it? If so can you give me your opinion on it (places of intrest, sites, ect.)

We will be heading North to South.

Thanks Ya'all

Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Boring, boring, boring. Hwy 1 is a terrible pick for roads. Natchitoches is a nice place to visit on Hwy 1. I would take hwy 71 instead. Then follow 190 east to 77 south if going on south or stay on 190 if going to Baton Rouge area. I live in North La now, but am from central La. This is the better ride.......unless you are in a hurry. Oh and you can still visit Natchitoches off 71 as it is only 8 miles one way over to it.

Just so you will know...it is pronounced "Nack-a-tish"........I know I know what can I say.

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 01-18-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On hwy 71, I believe its Lecompte there is a restaurant.. I can't remember the name, butt, you will see the signs.. It serves some of the best red beans and rice and had great homemade pies.. Now I have not been there in nearly 20 years but surely not much has changed.. also in Lebeau there used to be a truck stop.. great atmosphere..I see they have built an Interstate and all those places have probably closed and moved to a nearby exit.. hope someone from there will update..

Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree on taking 71 South. Their is a BBQ place about 60 miles south from Bossier City (Pronounced BO-Shur) on 71 24 miles South Coushatta on the left hand side) (pronounced Coo-Shatta) called Graysons that has awesome BBQ. I have ridden 71 as far as Alexandria several times, but no farther. Nice ride and as stated above, Natchitoches (Pronounced Nack-O-Dish) is a great little college town. If memory serves me right Terms of Endearment was made there.

Was invited to take a ride down to Alexandria today but rode into East Texas for some mexican food instead.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 01-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RutRoo
On hwy 71, I believe its Lecompte there is a restaurant.. I can't remember the name, butt, you will see the signs.. It serves some of the best red beans and rice and had great homemade pies.. Now I have not been there in nearly 20 years but surely not much has changed.. also in Lebeau there used to be a truck stop.. great atmosphere..I see they have built an Interstate and all those places have probably closed and moved to a nearby exit.. hope someone from there will update..
The resturant in Lecompte (pronounced La-count) is Lea's. Still there and serves the best homemade pies in the world. The truckstop in Lebeau (pronounced La-bo) is still there also.
The atmosphere has changed from 20 years ago. It is run down pretty bad and the hamburgers are not near as good as they used to be. It is still a great ride.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain

In the town of Natchitoches, I can't remember somewhere there they serve some of the best meat pies you will ever get.. I think they have a meat pie festival.. I just remember the meat pies.. I believe I am going to plan me a ride and eat my way thru the South.. starting in Louisiana, going thru Mississippi, into Alabama.. well, maybe not Alabama..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cajun King
The resturant in Lecompte (pronounced La-count) is Lea's. Still there and serves the best homemade pies in the world. The truckstop in Lebeau (pronounced La-bo) is still there also.
The atmosphere has changed from 20 years ago. It is run down pretty bad and the hamburgers are not near as good as they used to be. It is still a great ride.
Oh, yeah I remember the hamburgers.. Cajun King, I spent the night in Lafayette one night courtsey of the local LEO.. it seems not being able to touch your nose on the side of the road in the middle of the night is a crime, but anyway, while I was not doing the sleepover I went to a resturant that had Cajun music every night with a center dance floor and was very family friendly.. great food and good time.. what was that place? and while we are at it there is a town south of Lafayette that all the stores down town would close except this one oyster bar.. Tue or Wed was all the oysters you could eat.. cold beer, oysters, music, women, and maybe that was the night they asked if I could walk the line.. That is acrime there if you fail to do it correctly..Damn, I sure had fun in Louisiana..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys....look like highway 71 is the road of choice.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, yeah I remember the hamburgers.. Cajun King, I spent the night in Lafayette one night courtsey of the local LEO.. it seems not being able to touch your nose on the side of the road in the middle of the night is a crime, but anyway, while I was not doing the sleepover I went to a resturant that had Cajun music every night with a center dance floor and was very family friendly.. great food and good time.. what was that place? and while we are at it there is a town south of Lafayette that all the stores down town would close except this one oyster bar.. Tue or Wed was all the oysters you could eat.. cold beer, oysters, music, women, and maybe that was the night they asked if I could walk the line.. That is acrime there if you fail to do it correctly..Damn, I sure had fun in Louisiana..
I think the resturant you are talking about with the dance floor is Randol's. It has been here in Lafayette for years. Still open and has great crawfish dinners.

The oyster bar had to be Blacks in Abbyville. Man I wish it was still open. There is one across the side street from it but I can't remember the name. Does not have the atmosphere that Blacks had.

Now as far as the good night sleep courtsey of LPD...If I had known you then, I would have either bailed you out or joined you.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the town of Natchitoches, I can't remember somewhere there they serve some of the best meat pies you will ever get.. I think they have a meat pie festival.. I just remember the meat pies.. I believe I am going to plan me a ride and eat my way thru the South.. starting in Louisiana, going thru Mississippi, into Alabama.. well, maybe not Alabama..
The restaurant you are talking about is Lasyone's. It is a couple of blocks off the river in downtown. It is a hole in the wall, but dang those meat pies and dirty rice are good. We stop there every year on our way to Florida.

Quick Reply: Louisiana Highway 1