Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Deleware Water Gap Nat Rec Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:08 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Deleware Water Gap Nat Rec Area

Planning my trip to Maine and the ride planner has taken me through the Deleware Water Gap National Recreation area by way of 209. I see what looks to be an interesting ride on the other side of the river called 'Old Mine Road'. Any advice here? Is this all paved road or one I should avoid? Any interesting stops through here? Thanks

Old 01-16-2010, 05:19 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rt 209 used to be a good road back when I was driving cross country for a living, but they closed it down to local traffic only, and the last time I drove that road, it totally stop & go most of the way from I84 down to I80. Don't think I'd do that one again...

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
bjpharmd
Advanced

check out old mine rd. it's pretty cool and scenic. there's an abandoned village called walpack center. the land was purchased by the us gov't when they planned to build a dam on the delaware river. That entire area was going to be flooded, so the entire town was relocated. The dam was never built, and nothing was ever done with the land. As far as I know, the village is still standing for the most part. could be a pretty cool detour off of the interstate for a while. I've been camping up there a few times. one of nj's neat places to visit.
check out tock's island dam project or walpack center on the internet. pretty neat.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 PM
lonerider560
Advanced

Old Mine Road is a great run up the jersey side of the river. The lower part has pot holes and such, but can still be done without a problem take it up to 206, go north on 206 over the Milford bridge and you can pick up 84. Where do you plan on picking up 209?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by lonerider560
Old Mine Road is a great run up the jersey side of the river. The lower part has pot holes and such, but can still be done without a problem take it up to 206, go north on 206 over the Milford bridge and you can pick up 84. Where do you plan on picking up 209?
We are going to stop at York, PA for the factory tour and then I am thinking of taking 501 out of Lancaster up to 443 and then heading towards East Stroudsburg where I thought about crossing in to New Jersey to take Old Mine Road as we head up to the eastern side of New York.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
HarleyChick1234
6th Gear

Thats my stomping grounds they recently repaved that road it is a great drive. Watch out for critters!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Rainman
Tourer

I would not ride 209 between Shroudsberg and Dingmans Ferry on the weekends. It's a parking lot due to the flee market up there. Otherwise it's a beautiful road.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
JimS
Intermediate
Default Old Mine Rd.

I live about 45 minutes from Old Mine Rd. When are you planning your trip? I was on the road last Fall and there was some good size potholes that we had to go around, by now, they should be fixed. Other areas and roads in Northwest NJ are RT23, High Point State Park the highest point in NJ, Hawks Nest in NY, about 1/2 hour from High Point. If you are of age and interested, the Woodstock Museum is about 1 hour from Hawks Nest. PM me with your email, I owe a "traveler" a favor...

Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by JimS
I live about 45 minutes from Old Mine Rd. When are you planning your trip? I was on the road last Fall and there was some good size potholes that we had to go around, by now, they should be fixed. Other areas and roads in Northwest NJ are RT23, High Point State Park the highest point in NJ, Hawks Nest in NY, about 1/2 hour from High Point. If you are of age and interested, the Woodstock Museum is about 1 hour from Hawks Nest. PM me with your email, I owe a "traveler" a favor...
PM sent

Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
Planning my trip to Maine and the ride planner has taken me through the Deleware Water Gap National Recreation area by way of 209. I see what looks to be an interesting ride on the other side of the river called 'Old Mine Road'. Any advice here? Is this all paved road or one I should avoid? Any interesting stops through here? Thanks
Hey etstrine ---- You can do better. Personally, I wouldn't touch the Water Gap & Jersey with a 10 foot pole --- too much New York City idiot-driver traffic over there. It'll be a great ride if you stay west of the Poconos in PA, eastern NY, NJ, and even southern CT --- it's all NYC traffic. I live in upstate, N Central PA. From York, I'd take 30 west over to 15, and then 15 all the way up into Corning NY & then work my way up toward Watertown NY, over to Lake Placid, and take the ferry across Lake Champlain, at Fort Ticonderoga, into VT. Then you have upstate VT, NH, and into upstate ME. You can still get over toward the coast & get a few lobsters for dinner (you might even see a moose or 2), but you don't have to mess with 95, New York traffic, etc. Great riding in upstate PA & upstate NY. It'll be a much more relaxed way to get into New England. If you want to avoid idiots & road rage, that's what I'd do, but I'm not a city rider ---- I can do interstates, but you have no idea what traffic is like until you get over near New York. Even the water gap is bedroom NY. Hope it helps. Just my opinion. People who live over there & ride in that traffic might have a different opinion. Just depends on how you want to ride.

Quick Reply: Deleware Water Gap Nat Rec Area