Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Kinda new to Dallas TX, Can yall give me some road trip ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
b. luke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda new to Dallas TX, Can yall give me some road trip ideas?

Ilike to have a few plans. A one day trip up to a multiple day trip.
Any suggestions? Im on an Iron 883 with my girl.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link with a few ideas. I haven't done any of them yet as I haven't had my bike very long, but I plan to this summer. Where are you?

http://www.sportryderrentals.com/Ride_Maps.html

Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
stustrain
Novice

Ride down to Galveston Tx and ride along the gulf right on the sand! Awesome! Near East Beach Dr. I did it last year on Jan. 27th.
There are pics from my trip to galveston in this post.
Road Trip - New Orleans Jan. 2010

Last edited by stustrain; 01-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 PM
b. luke
Intermediate

Weet: Thanks for the link. Thats the kinda stuff Im looking for. Stuff that shows you how to get places using back roads. I know how to get around on the freeways out here, but thats more of a chore with our traffic than it is fun. Id like to see a galveston sometime but getting there needs to be fun cause its a long ways away.
Any one else got any ideas, or rides youve done?

Thanks, guys, Luke

Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
jman2122
Intermediate

We like to take Hwy 80 out of Dallas and go east. You can take roads off 80 and get into some beautiful country. I have been told about a hamburger joint in Mineloa that has awesome burgers. We may ride out there on Monday since I am of for MLK day. Hwy 175 east is also a good ride takes you to Athens then you can head out to Palestine and all thru there. I hope you enjoy it here especially when it gets over 100 degrees.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM
weeT
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going east, a better one than the burger joint in Mineola is The Shed in Edom http://www.theshedcafe.com/ Great place for good ol' down home cookin'. Lots of bikers usually there on weekends. Many back road ways to get there from DFW area, just look at google maps or the like & plan your route. Last time we went, we made a 250 mile round trip out of it through the countryside.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Save the Galveston trip for the Lonestar Rally next fall IMO. Lots of good riding a LOT closer, South and East. Read up on Texas Hill Country. Visit some motorcycle route sites for ideas.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Grandbury/Glen Rose area is very nice.
Lots of scenery and good roads.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FM4 west of Ft Worth is a good day ride. I'm close to Lake Ray Hubbard and we have made it a good day trip. Also lots of good back roads out around Lake Lavon and up through Blue Ridge.

For multi-day you have to go to the hill country west of Bandera. Also, a good over nighter is riding the Talimena Skyway in Ark and OK. We ride to Mena AR on Friday evening and then up Saturday, ride the skyway and be back in Dallas around 7 pm.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
b. luke
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
FM4 west of Ft Worth is a good day ride. I'm close to Lake Ray Hubbard and we have made it a good day trip. Also lots of good back roads out around Lake Lavon and up through Blue Ridge.

For multi-day you have to go to the hill country west of Bandera. Also, a good over nighter is riding the Talimena Skyway in Ark and OK. We ride to Mena AR on Friday evening and then up Saturday, ride the skyway and be back in Dallas around 7 pm.
Im by Lake Ray hubard too. Rockwall/heath area. Can you give me more info about the rides youve mentioned?

Quick Reply: Kinda new to Dallas TX, Can yall give me some road trip ideas?