Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

lake okochobee to keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
slack20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lake okochobee to keys

going to see in laws at okochobee in late march whats the best scenic route from there 2 the keys me and wife are gonna ride down to the keys for couple days appx how long will it take from a- to b thanks cold in OHIO.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I guess that depends on what you consider to be 'senic'.

IMO, there really isn't a scenic route from Okeechobee down to Key Largo (where you enter the Keys). I've left Orlando, traveled 91 to 15/441 and into Okeechobee. Then went down the east side (441, 15, 27), at the time (albiet it was in 2004) the road was rough around the cane fields. I mean knock stuff off the bike rough. Not to mention there really isn't a view of the lake on that side, as it's all bermed. Hwy 27 is a 'straight shot' through the 'glades. After you've seen five miles of Everglades, trust me, it all looks the same. I jumped off 27 at I75 and took I595 into Fort Lauderdale to spend the night. When I left FLL, I took the turnpike down to Homestead and then got on the US-1 to Key West. Once I got to Key Largo it started to get 'scenic'. The best part of the trip to Key West, IMO, is the ride over Seven Mile Bridge.

I've also come back north up the west side of Okeechobee, along 27 and then through the numerous orange groves (and stop lights in Sebring) on my way to Orlando. And I've ridden from Key West to Kissimmee (Turnpike) in around 8 hours.

Plan on taking at least 4 hours to get to Key West. This is all traffic and construction dependent. And whether or not you stop and eat or whatever. I would guesstimate, that it'll take you a minimum of six hours to get from Okeechobee to Key West.

There's a whole bunch of Floridian's on this forum they'll jump in and provide some more details.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 AM
slack20
Tourer

thanks didnt figure there wiuld be much scenic proably just looking for the best route aand roads anyone else care to chime in.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 AM
krountre
Cruiser

I've taken 27 down to Krome Av (997) which takes you around Miami traffic and through the produce farms and nurseries into Homestead. The ride from Key Largo to Key West is a definite "don't miss" ride.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Jim Gumbel
Tourer

If all works out I hope to make it to Key West this winter also. Maybe late February.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Route

I live in Fort Lauderdale. I ride up to the lake several times a year. I love to look at the wild life that lives there. No mountains but lot's of thinks to look at found no where else in the world. I guess you just got to know what you are going to look at. As far as getting knocked off your bike I would suggest replacing the worn out or junk suspension.

You may wish to venture west of the Lake and Access to Government Road, Snake Road, Florida State Miccosukee Indian Reservation, through the Reservation and wind up here on the alley than go east for 25 miles. Great ride. LINK TO ROUTE

Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

slack20 Ride down the west side of the lake on 78 till you get to hi 27 and then to hi 80, turn west and ride about 3 miles to county road 833 and run south to county 846 to immokalee.. Turn south on hi 29 and this road will take you us-41 ,the old tamiami trail off us-41 you could ride on south to the city of Everglades City and Chokolaskee. Check the Rod and Gun Club down there if you do ,this is one of the last parts of really old Florida . Great resort for a nights stay and great food. Ride east on us41 toward miami and watch for Monroe station and Loop Road. If it's been dry for a couple days you can ride the loop and it will take you back to us41. It does show on most any map as county road 94.
There is also oais ranger station if you just ride by loop raod. If you do a bit of research just on us41 there is several places to see and things to do.. Get your selfs and airboat ride at a small place just before county road 92 that is the real thing and marco h island has hills on the east side and a great beach that you can typicaly walk way out in to the water on south barrier islands that are allways moveing. Once back on us41 heading toward miami you will want to turn south on county 997/khrome blvd and run that down to us1 on south toward the keys. Theres more to the everglades than most try to find and only ride by.
Also with some extra time ,Ftmyers area has sanibel/captiva islands and the ft myers beach. Lovers Key is south on the beach road a few miles and you can ride on south from there toward Naples ,,,just don't spend time there ,,expensive damd town.. I use to live there. Good bike shop at the I-75/951 business park,everglades cyle. If you get that way and need something. And for the one that wants to see key west but not the ride there are high speed ferries that run out of naples and ft myers and run to key west. You can ride from the north end of the lake to key largo area in about 5 hours just cover'n ground. The keys have taken me 4 hours and 7 hours, all depends on traffic and site see'n. For future trips ,to save time on the long ride down to key west there are a couple of high speed ferries that run down there out of ft myers and naples too. 8 of us did that last to times so we did not have to deal with the darn traffic.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

I grew up in Okeechobee and either way you go around the lake, you're in for long flat straight roads through cane fields, pastures dotted with hammocks, swamp land and a vast expanse of nothingness. I was down there in December and rode quite a bit with my dad. The quality of the riding is no where near as varied as it is here in the Georgia mountains - this is a motorcyclists heaven - but if you can appreciate the Florida landscape it is beautiful in its own right. I love how you can set your watch by the summer thunderstorms and how you can see them coming from a long way off (they suck riding your bike though).