Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northeast trip this summer: Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northeast trip this summer: Need advice

I am trying to plan a trip through the northeast this summer and hit all of those New England and Atlantic states where I have yet to ride my Road King. We will be leaving the Charlotte area through North Carolina and Virginia by way of the BRP. Once I get off of that I want to take a few of the back roads through Maryland and hit York, PA for the factory tour. Following the tour I want to head up the eastern side of PA and NY, then go through the northern side of VT, NH and Maine. Then head home down the coast. This is where I really need some help. What is the best way to get through Southern New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Delaware (I think I've listed them all) and get back to Virginia, missing as much of the heavy traffic as possible? I don't mind taking motorcycle friendly ferries. I know this may be impossible but I thought if anyone could help it would be this group. I am going to have two weeks to do this. Any help with places to stay, things to do, etc., would also be appreciated but mainly just help get me through this alive by staying away from as many frustrated cagers as possible. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like fun , sorry dont have any advice i have not traveled much. just wanted to say hi....good luck

Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

coming in and out of boston is a pain. done it for 31 years. plan early morning or after the evening rush than ends around 7:30 pm. when you get south of boston you can pick up rt 138 and take it right through ri then pick up rt 1 and head over th mistic seaport ct. thats all i got for you. hope it helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you have a need to see the big Apple I'd avoid NE Jersey like the plague. Scariest riding I've ever done has been up there on the NJT and GSP. Of course it is the most direct route down to DE.

A more scenic route would be down either side of the Delaware. Some nice history and little towns along the river down to Trenton. 2 lanes, mostly no passing zone all the way down.

From Trenton easy hop E to route 539 which will take you thru the NJ Pinelands to the GSP which is nothing like the GSP up North. Straight shot down the GSP to Cape May where you can then take the ferry to Lewes, DE.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 01-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Default NY

NY Adirondack State park is awesome with over 6 million acres. Once get to Utica or Glens Falls area go north throught the park. Check a Rand McNally map for scenic routes. There is a senic route listed that goes by Sagamore a historic Great Camp. It winds through Blue Mountain Lake where the Adirondack Museum is. Lots of little towns, lakes, streams, rivers, and winding roads. Work your way to Lake Placid where you can go to the Olympic Training Center, and and watch future winter athletes trin on ski jumping and ariel ski jumping into pools (in the summer). There is also Hockey and Figure Skating venues and you can ride a gondala up Whiteface or ride your bike up the road. Take a wheeled bob sled or luge down the bob sled run. Tail of the Pup is a bike destination for hot dogs, a beer, outside dining, a beer, etc. There are a number of Bed and breakfasts, a Best Western on Mirror Lake, and a Crowne Plaza on the hill overlooking the town. Go to VT via Asuable Chasam great walking tour and then cross on a ferry to VT just down the road. in VT the only place i have been is where they raise the Morgan Horse Breed through University of VT. Enjoy!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

York plant tour is worthwhile. Amish country to the E. And Gettysburg to the W. I'd probably head N. from there maybe checking out the PA Grand Canyon area and Finger Lake region in NY. Most direct route is 15 along the Susquehanna River. From there you can head to the Adirondacks and into Vt.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Thanks everyone. Some really good suggestions here. I will definitely be avoiding NYC. Been there a few times and have no desire to see it from the seat of my bike. I hope to hear from some members that live in Maine as I want to get that far north at a minimum. Maybe new Brunswick and Novia Scotia if we have the time but that may be pushing things. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Been as far north as the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Rained the whole time but still enjoyed it. But if you get that far may as well take the ferry to Newfoundland.

We crossed into Canada at Calais and took 1 thru New Brunswick to the Trans Canada HiWay. Great roads and light traffic. Very scenic and relaxing trip. We came back on the TCH to 95.

Would love to take the wife next time and take 1 along the Maine coast thru Acadia NP which we had to bypass this trip.

Pic is the NE leg of the Cabot Trail.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 01-26-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817

Pic is the NE leg of the Cabot Trail.

Great Pic. I don't mind riding in the rain as long as it's not a monsoon. What is the best summer month to avoid the rain in the northeast?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Avoid rain in New England?????? That's a funny one

Lately it has been late July....But you run the risk of Thunderstorms if we have a high humidity summer....

Plan for rain and hope for the best...

Quick Reply: Northeast trip this summer: Need advice