Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northeast trip this summer: Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all really great info. I am going to have to look up some of this stuff on Google (Kancamagus Hwy?) and try to plan it in to our trip. I never thought about the Laconia Bike Week. If we go at that time of the summer I will try to work that in to our trip. Once I let all this info filter through that gray matter in my head, I am going to set down at the computer and use the ride planner to map it out. Keep the suggestions coming. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ri is an easy ride. If you have time take rte. 138 off 95 and head to newport. Great scenery here and easy ride

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Next time up that way I'm going to try to take my time and avoid the Interstates, especially 95. Rt 7 looks interesting but has anyone tried Rt. 22 which parallels it on the NY side all the way up to Burl. Vt. Reason I ask is that it's listed as a "scenic route".

I'm definitely going to give it a shot next trip to Americade.
Let me know before you head up. I live 2 miles off 22 and have ridden it from the CT border to the tip of VT. There are some very scenic and great parts (foothills of the Berskshires - I could ride this 100 times and never get tired of it), and others, going past the A&P on a Saturday morning, you probably want to avoid. Also,the upper part in VT can be a little monotonous after 70 miles of farms and getting stuck behind a tractor on a one lane road with no where to pass for 20 miles...believe me...that said, I usually ride a section on the way back from Americade. Last year we did the whole trip back without hitting a highway and it was great.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
mudsnark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off the Blue Ridge Parkway, take the Skyline Drive up to Front Royal, Va. From there, work your on Rt 81 until you pick up Rt 15 North...take that to Rt 14, then into the upstate New York/five fingers area. Then work your way thru the Adirondack mountains into VT. Pick up Rt 2, which will take you across NH and into Maine...(Bar Harbor). Pick up the ferry to NS. Once you're done with the Cabot Trail (counter clockwise recommended), then work you're way back into Maine via Rt 1. This is THE way to go and avoid traffic. I would be going in July if I had a choice. May is void of tourist, but the weather can be problematic.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by mudsnark
Off the Blue Ridge Parkway, take the Skyline Drive up to Front Royal, Va. From there, work your on Rt 81 until you pick up Rt 15 North...take that to Rt 14, then into the upstate New York/five fingers area. Then work your way thru the Adirondack mountains into VT. Pick up Rt 2, which will take you across NH and into Maine...(Bar Harbor). Pick up the ferry to NS. Once you're done with the Cabot Trail (counter clockwise recommended), then work you're way back into Maine via Rt 1. This is THE way to go and avoid traffic. I would be going in July if I had a choice. May is void of tourist, but the weather can be problematic.
I was going to try to pick up the ferry to NS but I called to inquire about rates and they told me that the runs from Bar Harbor and Portland were being discontinued. The lady said that there is a chance this may not happen but as of right now those runs will not be available this summer. Too bad. I really wanted to go in to Nova Scotia but I don't think I would have the time to ride that far around the channel.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Phatgal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by etstrine
I was going to try to pick up the ferry to NS but I called to inquire about rates and they told me that the runs from Bar Harbor and Portland were being discontinued. The lady said that there is a chance this may not happen but as of right now those runs will not be available this summer. Too bad. I really wanted to go in to Nova Scotia but I don't think I would have the time to ride that far around the channel.
We took the ferry from Portland when we went to NS so that would be an option, but it would definitely increase the time needed for your trip!

We are going to ride from Maine to Ohio this summer so will be looking for directions that way. Definitely want to avoid as many major cities and highways as possible.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM
smcdmc
Cruiser

If your headed toward Bar Harbor they have started construction between Bangor and Ellsworth. Better off going from Bangor to Bucksport then Ellsworth to skip it. Lots of slow moving traffic and chewed up road. Once in Bar Harbor the park loop roads in Acadia are nice.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by smcdmc
If your headed toward Bar Harbor they have started construction between Bangor and Ellsworth. Better off going from Bangor to Bucksport then Ellsworth to skip it. Lots of slow moving traffic and chewed up road. Once in Bar Harbor the park loop roads in Acadia are nice.
We've decided to reverse our trip by traveling up the coastline to Maine and return home through VT, NH, NY and PA. Our intention is to stay on 1 or 1A as much as possible for the trip north. I think NJ is the only place Rt 1 does not follow the coast and we will leave it to follow the coast. We are going to drive up Long Island and take the Orient Point Ferry to New London, CT where we will again pick up Rt 1 to go through Boston and head up to Bar Harbor. Any construction to be aware of if I follow this route?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 AM
jaxbusa
Cruiser

How many days are you going to try and do this in? Give us a ride report with pictures when you're done.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by etstrine
We've decided to reverse our trip by traveling up the coastline to Maine and return home through VT, NH, NY and PA. Our intention is to stay on 1 or 1A as much as possible for the trip north. I think NJ is the only place Rt 1 does not follow the coast and we will leave it to follow the coast. We are going to drive up Long Island and take the Orient Point Ferry to New London, CT where we will again pick up Rt 1 to go through Boston and head up to Bar Harbor. Any construction to be aware of if I follow this route?

Thanks
OMG please try and avoid boston any time of day more construction than you can shake sticks at.
your best bet would to be pick up rt 1 north of boston in topfield. form there it will take you right into nh and maine.

Quick Reply: Northeast trip this summer: Need advice