Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Northeast trip this summer: Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hspring03
Avoid rain in New England?????? That's a funny one

Lately it has been late July....But you run the risk of Thunderstorms if we have a high humidity summer....

Plan for rain and hope for the best...
Wishfull thinking on my part. When it comes to riding vacations I have a cloud hanging over my head. Two years ago we came home from Key West through Georgia and South Carolina with a hurricane/tropical depression dumping on us for the entire ride. My turn signals quit working about 2 hours from home. When I checked them out the next day, each one was full of water. That water actually got past those rubber seals to entirely fill up those housings. Still it beat the best day at work!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Phatgal
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good news is: I have done this trip many times. The bad new is: you have to start from our house! LOL Actually we would love to show you some of the best riding in and around the White Mountains if you are interested. When do you plan on coming this way?

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-Sj3tffZOLmpe

Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by bobstah
The good news is: I have done this trip many times. The bad new is: you have to start from our house! LOL Actually we would love to show you some of the best riding in and around the White Mountains if you are interested. When do you plan on coming this way?

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-Sj3tffZOLmpe
Thinking either the weeks of 5/31 & 6/7 or 7/5 and 7/12. We would probably be coming in on Route 2 from NH and then making our way over to Novia Scotia, time permitting. Going home by way of route 1. Would appreciate a tour guide anywhere along the ride and if we could meet up that would be great. Can you recommmend a few places we should put on our 'do not miss' list? Any B&Bs we should check out? Any places to make sure we avoid? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Phatgal
Intermediate

Route 2 is not too far from me, relatively speaking. We could meet you over in the NH side on the other and take you through at least one of the notches (you have to see Mt. Washington) and into Maine. There are two seasons here just so ya know: Wintah and Construction. When the time gets nearer you'll have to remind me so we can find out which roads you'll want to avoid. The month of May can be (will be) chilly but it is inbetween tourist seasons so you will find accomodations easier and cheaper.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
roaddog
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did a similar ride last summer. Starting in NJ thru NY, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME. I found that route 7 which I picked up in CT and road thru CT, MA, VT was a great road. If you get the chance to ride the Kancamagus Hwy in NH do it. Best road I have every been on.

Attached Thumbnails Northeast trip this summer: Need advice-11.jpg  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Phatgal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roaddog
Did a similar ride last summer. Starting in NJ thru NY, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME. I found that route 7 which I picked up in CT and road thru CT, MA, VT was a great road. If you get the chance to ride the Kancamagus Hwy in NH do it. Best road I have every been on.
The Kanc is a great road. Although there is "that one corner" that every biker who comes to the ER tells me they went down on. Now every time I ride it I wonder, "Is this the corner?" on ever curve! You just have to watch your speed, sand early in the season, and the tourists who are looking at the views and not for you.

There are a lot of beautiful rides here in NH/Maine. We have a group of friends coming from all over during Laconia Bike Week and are looking forward to hosting some great rides.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

If you get the chance, a tour around the Finger Lakes region is not to be missed. If you have 2 or 3 days to hang around the lakes, you won't be sorry.
Simply fantastic riding, beautiful scenery, nice stops along the way and it's wine country if that suits you.
Buttermilk Falls, Robert Treman State Park, Cornell University, Ithaca College, Watkins Glen, Corning Glass Museum, probably close to a hundred mom and pop wineries, incredible restaurants, etc, etc... You could make a vacation just in this area..

Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roaddog
Next time up that way I'm going to try to take my time and avoid the Interstates, especially 95. Rt 7 looks interesting but has anyone tried Rt. 22 which parallels it on the NY side all the way up to Burl. Vt. Reason I ask is that it's listed as a "scenic route".

I'm definitely going to give it a shot next trip to Americade.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use to live in the Philly area
Here is a route I went back in the 80's
There is no "easy way" over the the pa/nj line.
but I have traveled up rt 32 (started at I95 rt 32 at border)
Along the Delaware river North on 32 turns into 611 to delaware water gap (east Stroudsburg, 209 north to Port Jervis, to Kingston,ny then 9w up the hudson, cross the river at Catskill,NY, then you pick the roads twoard Pittsford,Ma (rolling hills 2 laners) Keene,VT, Nashua,NH and make your way over Rt 1 along the coast to Bar Harbor (acadia Nat'l park).
Northern return rt 2 out of Bangor over to the White mountains, If I recall it was Rt 4 back over to Glen falls ,NY I then travel to NE Pa and just whittled my way back .

This gives you an idea but I really can't remember the exact route but it avoided 90% over the Ny,Boston or large metro areas.

Plenty to see along the way here's few 32/611 Delware Wtr Gap old canel,Washington's crossing the delaware st park, north of water gap Poconos along the river, Catskills in NY Pittsford,Ma area is Norman Rockwell area,then the classic rocky coast of Maine along rt 1.
Rt 2 the "northern return" route give you the white mountains,conway,kanamangus highway, green mountains of VT, the the adirondacks of NY. NE pa is coal mining turf with classic 2 laners.
Hope this helps somewhat, I do miss that area
That trip was approx 10 day total on my '73 Sporty back then

Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

from york pa head NE towards the poconos and delware watergap. then east to the catskill mountains. Won't be to far from OCC if thats your thing, then north thru the andirondacks to lake placid, olympic museum, ski jump center where you can go to the top of the jumps. Airport in the area $50 a person for 45 min flight in a little cessna the mountains just don't seem to end looking down at all of them one stops another starts. Whiteface mountain region ride up the memorial highway, at the top they have a cave to the center of the mountain and then an elevator ride to the top to an observation weather station. Awsome views, and the ride up is great wait till you look down on the road you won't remember making that many s turns. Continue south east to Lake George, from there take the ferry across lake george into vermont Rt 9 travels north or south, we followed Rt 9 south back down to conn. Lots of interesting stops that don't take very long, and gets you back on the road for the main attraction great riding. I have all the routes we took I can forward if you'd like. Its was a nice trip but we liked the BRP better.

Quick Reply: Northeast trip this summer: Need advice