Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Route 66

Most of the information that I've searched for on Route 66 shows that the road exists now in bits and pieces. I'm planning a trip from St. Louis into Arizona and then back over the mountains (denver maybe) and I'm wondering what parts of Route 66 are worth seeing.

I need to make time on the Interstate, but I also want to get off and catch some good historic stops and ride the best parts of the route. Any ideas or tips would be great! Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 PM
US66harley
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link that you can click on the different states for directions and points of interest in those states.
http://www.historic66.com/description/

Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the route 66 that I have seen or ridden on is not well maintained.. some in New Mexico that go thru small towns are ok but I have seen some in Az that are pain in the butt,literally, and a test for you shocks..the one really good section is from Kingman Az going east until it meets I40 again... it's still has Route 66 designation..

Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
US66harley
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RutRoo
Most of the route 66 that I have seen or ridden on is not well maintained.. some in New Mexico that go thru small towns are ok but I have seen some in Az that are pain in the butt,literally, and a test for you shocks..the one really good section is from Kingman Az going east until it meets I40 again... it's still has Route 66 designation..
Around here its a lot of busy streets and an old historic marker sign every now and then. Nothing to really see.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by US66harley
Around here its a lot of busy streets and an old historic marker sign every now and then. Nothing to really see.
I've done most of rt66 although it's been in bits & pieces, by far IMO the western section is the best.. from east of seligman az to needles ca is where I would spend my time. You can run I40 (it's replaced the largest chunks and parallels alot of whats left) west and see alot of it and still put some miles on each day. My advise since you're heading to az is to do the section from Exit 139 of I40 west of williams az to kingman then down thru oatman to needles. From there you can head to phoenix by going thru Lake Havasu (gonna be hot if summer)Parker and quartzsite and running I10 east to phx. If that seems a bit out of your way and you just want a scenic ride from I40 to phx take either 89A south from flagstaff thru prescott then 89 to wickenburg and hwy60 in to phx.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

old rt 66 also goes thru Winslow, Az.. might as well stop and get your picture on the corner.. and if you have time you can shoot prarie dogs on BLM nearby..

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chain of Rocks Bridge
St. Louis Gateway Arch
Meteor Crator
Cadillac Ranch
Bug Ranch
Painted barn
Round barn
About 500 old gas stations and diners
The Grand Canyon Skywalk
and finally.. Vegas!

Still beats riding through Illinois and Indiana. Just might do this, thanks for the tips.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tao3535
Chain of Rocks Bridge
St. Louis Gateway Arch
Meteor Crator
Cadillac Ranch
Bug Ranch
Painted barn
Round barn
The Grand Canyon Skywalk
and finally.. Vegas!

Still beats riding through Illinois and Indiana. Just might do this, thanks for the tips.
you're gonna love the skywalk..it's an adventure just to get there..

Last edited by flhxkiller; 01-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tao3535
Chain of Rocks Bridge
St. Louis Gateway Arch
Meteor Crator
Cadillac Ranch
Bug Ranch
Painted barn
Round barn
The Grand Canyon Skywalk
and finally.. Vegas!

I hope you dont have your heart set on riding over the Chain of Rocks. It's for foot and bicycle traffic only now days. Until it re-opened to foot traffic a few years ago it was just a place for the East St. Louis type folk to dump bodies into the Mississippi...no joke. Of course it was also a common news story to hear about yet another lad who willingly jumped to end it all. It was quiet, dark, and no one knew you were there.

Last edited by tumbleweed883; 01-05-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
KR57
Road Master
Received 1,597 Likes on 398 Posts

Here's another good link: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

I have traveled some of Route 66 in IL and MO. It will take you on and off the interstate and join with other highways here and there.

I love the signs on the rural highways in MO.

"Speed limit 65"
"Slow Curve 55"

Of course when in MO you have to stop see Jesse James Hideout -Meramec Caverns. http://www.americascave.com/

Have a great trip!

Quick Reply: Route 66