Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis reservations

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:07 AM
jimmie d wad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melodymaker
Ok, I know room availability will slim if not booked now in Sturgis but I want to know how room availability is on the road getting there. Should I plan my trip by booking rooms along my route getting out there from Chicago or will this be a problem at the nicer motels/hotels along the route? I'm sure the interstates/highways will be full of bikes that weekend of the rally and just don't want to be caught short pulling into some motel in the evening to find NO VACANCY.
i woldnt worry.if your coming through western nd some towns might be full like dickenson.(lotsa extra people out there due to the oil boom).let it get to 5 ish stop some where.if they dont have a room ask for a phone list or ask them to call thier motel in the next town.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Joe P
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binford6100
I made a reservation at the Iron Horse Inn:

http://www.ironhorseinnsturgis.com/

They advertise as being 5 1/2 miles from downtown and the rooms looked to be fairly nice. They also offer a shuttle service to downtown and a few other places. No sense taking a chance on a DUI...or worse!

I just made the reservation right before Thanksgiving and at that time they had 200 rooms available. The rate was $1400/per for 7 days and we're sharing with another couple so the cost was reasonable, IMO.

I spoke with John who said he was the manager. He was very, very helpful and answered all of my questions before I made the reservation. I've spoken with him since and he has been just as helpful. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be 'too good to be true'.

Ken
We did the same thing, spoke with the same guy and hope it turns out as good as it sounds too, First time to Sturgis, never see much about the Iron Horse on the board.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by melodymaker
Thanks Chris, that is probably not a bad idea to book now. I think Mitchell SD will be a doable days ride providing it's not raining.
There is a Holiday Inn in Mitchell (that's where I'm doing the overnight on the way out and back). As of now, they do have rooms at $114/night. Not sure how many rooms they have, but there is availability. Personally, I don't like the idea of "winging" it and hoping that the next town will have a room. Plan ahead a bit, and then don't worry.

By the way, the Corn Palace SUCKS!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
wayno224
Stage I

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
52 miles away... ridiculous... I've camped less than three miles from town for years and have never heard a burnout or a band... the only thing I ever hear is the freeway noise and after the first year I got used to that....
i camping at elkview campgrounds looks pretty cool

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes Elk View is very nice accomodations. They have good food, Cold Beer, and also have music going to relax to. More laid back and enjoyable

Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

This year being the 70th Anniversary attendance may be up. I went in 2000 and it was the 60th Anniversary and had the largest attendance before or since. With the economy still in the *******, rally attendance has been down at all the major rallies so I suspect Sturgis may be affected as well. My first trips to Sturgis was all about staying there for the week and the rally but now I go for a few days and then push on to enjoy riding in Wyoming and Montana. Maybe I am just getting old but dont need a week long drunk anymore or topless trailer park queens. I havent made any reservations yet but dont expect a problem finding a place to stay as a lot of bookings get cancelled.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stayed in campgrounds, motels in Sundance, cabins and rented houses. Other than camping the cost is about the same. We rented a house ten blocks south of main for $2800.00 for 6 people so it's less than $500.00 each for the week of the rally.