Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis reservations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
FXSTC_Bill
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh, the way you guys talk about how bad the crowds are, I'm thinking of splitting it up and go a half week before and a half week during for my first Sturgis trip. Anybody do that?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
kopp
Novice

Thats exactly what we do.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
kopp
Novice

It wasnt a crowded mess where we stayed,just a little crowded,but thats what I exspected,if I didnt want to see people and bikes and do some partying I would have stayed home.We would get up in the morning and go riding until mid to late afternoon come back to Deadwood and every one would do there own thing.I usally ended up at #10, (I am an old fart that still likes to laugh and have a good time)and some of our group would stay at the house and relax.It was perfect for every one.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kopp
It wasnt a crowded mess where we stayed,just a little crowded,but thats what I exspected,if I didnt want to see people and bikes and do some partying I would have stayed home.We would get up in the morning and go riding until mid to late afternoon come back to Deadwood and every one would do there own thing.I usally ended up at #10, (I am an old fart that still likes to laugh and have a good time)and some of our group would stay at the house and relax.It was perfect for every one.
When I go the week before the raly, there is literally hundreds of thousands of bikes there. We enjoy seeing all of them and partying a little with all the other riders, but still, you can get around fairly easily and see all the sights. Deadwood, Custer St. Park Wild Life Loop (but watch out for the male bisons - they do charge bikes occasionally. Don't ask how I know.) Easy to get in to see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and all the rides like thru Needles Highway, Wind Cave, are a breeze when you go the week before the raly. The folks at Custer St. Park are very accomodating too. I shipped a bunch of gear there via UPS and it was waiting for me when I got there. Made the stay very enjoyable.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
melodymaker
Novice

Ok, I know room availability will slim if not booked now in Sturgis but I want to know how room availability is on the road getting there. Should I plan my trip by booking rooms along my route getting out there from Chicago or will this be a problem at the nicer motels/hotels along the route? I'm sure the interstates/highways will be full of bikes that weekend of the rally and just don't want to be caught short pulling into some motel in the evening to find NO VACANCY.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I rarely make hotel reservation along the way because I never know exactly what route I will be taking. I just kinda wander, sometimes going a few hundred miles out of my way to avoid rain. Ocassionally, I have some trouble finding a room, but have always managed to find one. At around noon, when I have a pretty good idea where I will be wanting to stop for the night, I use the cell phone to call the Holiday Inn 800 number and let them find a hotel with a vacancy.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melodymaker
Ok, I know room availability will slim if not booked now in Sturgis but I want to know how room availability is on the road getting there. Should I plan my trip by booking rooms along my route getting out there from Chicago or will this be a problem at the nicer motels/hotels along the route? I'm sure the interstates/highways will be full of bikes that weekend of the rally and just don't want to be caught short pulling into some motel in the evening to find NO VACANCY.
You'd better hurry and make your reservations. I've been looking along the way. I'm leaving from Milwaukee with a group and we're stopping for the night in Mitchell, SD. It was filling up when I made my reservation this past weekend.

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
melodymaker
Novice

Thanks Chris, that is probably not a bad idea to book now. I think Mitchell SD will be a doable days ride providing it's not raining.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by melodymaker
Thanks Chris, that is probably not a bad idea to book now. I think Mitchell SD will be a doable days ride providing it's not raining.

Plus the "corn palace" is opened until 9pm.....lol

Christian

Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

I've been to Sturgis several times. I've stayed at Glenco, Buffalo Chip, last few times at cabins that were close by.
If you can get 3 or 4 people to split the cost of a cabin for a week, you can get down close to the cost of camping out, roughing it and showering with 10,000 of your fellow campers. ( not me , ever again )

I'll take the cabin every time ! Move quickly the good ones get snapped up fast.

Quick Reply: Sturgis reservations