Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for new "base camp" in Smokey Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always been a fan of Cherohala Motorcycle Resort in Tellico Plains, TN - a bit west of the Smokies, but at the western end of the Cherohala Skyway, so perhaps worthy of some consideration.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alleghney Motel, Sparta, NC just off the BRP

Old 12-29-2009, 05:17 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 487 Likes on 253 Posts

Iron horse, and Kickstand lodges.... both have cabins, and private rooms.

Check out Ridgetop Motel, in Bryson City NC. biker friendly, and several dining spots just down the road (and I do mean DOWN the road...LOL)
There's plenty of adult beverages available in town....and the second story deck is a nice place to hang out after dinner, while the sun sets, and those adult beverages take effect

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
krountre
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn at Cherokee. They have a great restaurant on site but Peter's Pancake House in Cherokee is hard to beat for breakfast. Older rooms, but I like being able to park the bike right outside my door. From there you can ride north through the park, east to the Dragon/Skyway or west on the Parkway.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
scottburns8ball
Cruiser

In Maggie Valley is a small hotel called the Applecover Inn. I know the owners. They are great people and are bikers. They host a motorcyle rally for us every year. Is it the nicest place on earth? no, but is very clean and cater to the needs of bikers. VERY reasonable prices. Gives you more eating or spending money. Lot's of things to do while in Maggie Valley as well. wwww.applecoverinn.com
they have pics on the website

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look around Maryville, Tn. It's straight north of The Gap on 129. Has direct route to Gatlinburg area, plenty of places to eat, etc. but not the traffic hell of Sevierville. Dealer is great (Same company owns the Seviereville Shop and Gatlinburg t-shirt store) but they also have a stage and performers every weekend during riding season. Easy to get to, and quick into NC and all the twisty roads. I think it's a great compromise place to base out of for riding the Smokeys.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I'll suggest Maggie Valley, NC if that's not too far south for you.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

THANKS for all the replies. You've given me a lot of ideas for places to stay in the Smokys. Here's my next question: What ELSE is there to do? This ride has become an annual event for us, and we all agree that this area provides THE BEST riding that any of us could want. But .... We've been to Clingmen's Dome. Seen Bald River Falls. Done the Dragon backwards and forwards multiple times. Been to Wheels Through Time museum twice. Visited Cherokee during the rally. Rode Cherahala Skyway and Foothills Parkway. Stayed in Pigeon Forge. Saw some shows in Gatlinburg. Done the Comedy Barn. Dixie Stampede, etc, etc. What else have you done that made your last trip to the Smokys memorable? I'm counting on you guys to come up with some ideas to keep this trip interesting.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

The Iron Horse in Stecoah is by far is the best place to stay! Central to all the great ride spots, great accommodations, good prices.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
THANKS for all the replies. You've given me a lot of ideas for places to stay in the Smokys. Here's my next question: What ELSE is there to do? This ride has become an annual event for us, and we all agree that this area provides THE BEST riding that any of us could want. But .... We've been to Clingmen's Dome. Seen Bald River Falls. Done the Dragon backwards and forwards multiple times. Been to Wheels Through Time museum twice. Visited Cherokee during the rally. Rode Cherahala Skyway and Foothills Parkway. Stayed in Pigeon Forge. Saw some shows in Gatlinburg. Done the Comedy Barn. Dixie Stampede, etc, etc. What else have you done that made your last trip to the Smokys memorable? I'm counting on you guys to come up with some ideas to keep this trip interesting.
Here are a few quick thoughts!
- a tour of the Bristol Motor Speedway
- a ride down the Snake (rt 421 starting near Bristol to Shady Valley to
Boone, NC)
- a tour of the Biltmore Estate
- a ride down US 28 to Dillard, GA for lunch at the Dillard House
http://www.dillardhouse.com/index.php
- Ride the Wayah Road in NC
- Grandfather Mountain just off the BRP

Quick Reply: Looking for new "base camp" in Smokey Mountains