Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning West Coast Hwy 101 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
HD66FLH
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take 101 into northern CA. Get off for the Avenue of the Giants. Make sure to find the park at Founders Tree. Do some reseach on the Lost Coast. Plan on a day to do it. Only about 80 miles but it takes the good part of a day. Stop in at Honeydew if you make this loop. Buy a beer at the only store there to sip on at the one lane bridge. Locals are good people.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

You'll love the air in Oxnard.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:15 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
+1 on the Redwood Highway!

Simply an awesome picture.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey Steve, there is some great info posted already.
The guy from Toronto has some good points.
The G/F and I rode two up from Vancouver to San Fran last summer.
It was great fun, easy ride till you get north of San Fran , the cagers are running between 90 and 100 MPH from about 2 North of the Bridge and if you aint doing 90 over the Golden Gate your going to slow.
I do not recomend trying to keep up, but rather watch your ***!
There was this Great little Mexican Restaurant in Oric Ca. that was spectacular, Fresh Salsa and Chips and a great Breakfast.
Shoot me a pm with your email addy and I can fill you in on some more details if you like.
If I where to do it again while Southbound, I would turn right at Ft Bragg and hit the coast from there.
I know we missed some great vistas from there for sure and if we had more time I would head south to Carmel and Big Sur. It was 25 years since I had been down that far and then we where on bicycles during Spring Break here in Vancouver.....
Ahh the Memories
Rob

Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
VI KRUZER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input so far, i'm already starting to mark the map with some of the ideas. So I figure by the time we go in the summer we should be stopping about every half hour to see something of interest. LOL--The pics are great. The big Redwoods remind me of the big Cedars in Cathedral Grove here on the Island. Thanks again to all --Steve

Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did this fabulous route in '06, but we came UP the Pacific Coast Highway entering it from the south end of California after coming out of New Mexico. Our trip planing was "follow the teeny tiny dotted line North"! As long as it was near the water, we were there, having to come inland and do the interstates near Los Angeles and San Francisco. This kept us on the 'Rock Wall' side of the road; heading South, you will be on the 'Water' side!!!!! And its Straight Down!!!! Beware of the oncoming rv's and tour busses who consider the yellow line optional, every bend has one coming at you.

Did the Hearst Castle, the Redwood National Park, Monterey's Aquarium, San Diego Zoo, Santa Lucia Range and the Golden Gate Bridge, take your camera, the trip is visual overload, you'll have to digitally record to remember it all.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HD66FLH
Take 101 into northern CA. Get off for the Avenue of the Giants. Make sure to find the park at Founders Tree. Do some reseach on the Lost Coast. Plan on a day to do it. Only about 80 miles but it takes the good part of a day. Stop in at Honeydew if you make this loop. Buy a beer at the only store there to sip on at the one lane bridge. Locals are good people.
Yup!
http://www.takemytrip.com/07orcal/07_13a.htm

South of Carmel about 30 miles stop at Nepenthe for lunch.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Little town of Brookings, Or is the Banana Belt of the oregon coast, beautiful town nice shops.
When you get to Eureka go out to the Somoia house, It's an old lumber chow hall, they feed you on long tables kind family style. The food is incredible and there is way more than you can eat. Way cool place!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I did 'er both ways in '95, on a Honda 750 Magna. Down on the 101, 1 and side roads, back on the I 5.
The Magna had the worst seat ... 45 minutes at a time was my limit, but I had to refill then anyway. 100 Klicks and the tank was geting low.
Parts of the Olympic peninsula were nice, but lower Washington & Oregon on the 1 and 101 was a waste of time, and until I hit Newport Beach, I was regretting not going I 5. I also found out in the coast parks down there, fill up every chance you get. At the time there could be 150 mi between stations.
Would I do it again? Sure. See my new post.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I did 'er both ways in '95, on a Honda 750 Magna. Down on the 101, 1 and side roads, back on the I 5.
The Magna had the worst seat ... 45 minutes at a time was my limit, but I had to refill then anyway. 100 Klicks and the tank was getting low.
Parts of the Olympic peninsula were nice, but lower Washington & Oregon on the 1 and 101 was a waste of time, and until I hit Newport Beach, I was regretting not going I 5. I also found out in the coast parks down there, fill up every chance you get. At the time there could be 150 mi between stations.
Would I do it again? Sure. See my new post.

Quick Reply: Planning West Coast Hwy 101 Trip