Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ride Parkway - north to south, or south to north?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Blue Ride Parkway - north to south, or south to north?

ETA: Meant Blue Ridge Parkway in title.

Last month, I posted asking for input on a solo ride out to SD, MT, and CO. Wife had told me she didn't want to go on such a long ride from Indiana. So, I have been steadily planning my trip for this coming beginning of August, since I have 2-3 weeks off of work then.

Of course, now she wants to try a long bike ride, but only if we go to the Blue Ridge Parkway area. She hates long rides, cold, rain, sleet, etc....but she states that she would be willing to do this ride and I have no problems doing this ride either. We have plenty of gear to keep her warm and dry already. Knowing her "back and forth" thoughts, I'm now planning two rides...one to the CO area, one to BRP. If she decides she doesn't want to go in August, I'm going solo on the trip out west.

For planning the BRP ride, I'm trying to plan a 9 to 10 day adventure. Is there any advantage out of going one way or the other to do the BRP, Deals Gap, Skyline Parkway rides?

We live near Indianapolis. I figured if we work our way north, we'd take the interstates to get us to the Deals Gap area, and work NE and then west back home on the interstates. If we want to take the sourthern path, I'd take US 50 out of Indiana over to Winchester, VA, and work our way south and then back up the interstates home.

Any advantage to going one way or the other on BRP? I think we are going to plan stops by ear...without making hotel reservations (we just got a Garmin GPS, so we'll call around when we want to find a motel). This should give us around 7-7.5 days in and around the BRP. I've already called and received quite a bit of info packs for activities in the area, which the wife has been going through.

Thoughts?

Last edited by mastery; 12-21-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't think of any real advantage one over the other. Most guidebooks go north to south since the zero milepost is on the north side. But I have ridden it both ways and enjoyed each equally.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget the Cherohola just south of Deals Gap. Or maybe Route 28 " the Helbender" from Deals Gap to the south end of the parkway. Stop and talk to the old fellow at the Fontana Dam. He lived history and made a little of it too. Rode the Foothills Parkway and wasn't too impressed.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not go both ways? Just don't make any stops on the southbound leg, just enjoy the scenery.
Make metal notes and talk with your wife about places to stop on the northbound leg.

And don't forget to

Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Why not go both ways? Just don't make any stops on the southbound leg, just enjoy the scenery.
Make metal notes and talk with your wife about places to stop on the northbound leg.

And don't forget to
Thunder: It will take us a day to get to the area, day to get back...that will leave us around 7 days to do the entire ride (along with side rides like the Cherohola and Skyline) and to hit some side stops. We just don't want to be rushed on this trip. I figure that will give us plenty of time.

Jay: Thanks for the input. Where I live, it's flat...corn and soybean fields everywhere. I'm sure the Foothills has to be better than that

Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Thunder: It will take us a day to get to the area, day to get back...that will leave us around 7 days to do the entire ride (along with side rides like the Cherohola and Skyline) and to hit some side stops. We just don't want to be rushed on this trip. I figure that will give us plenty of time.

Jay: Thanks for the input. Where I live, it's flat...corn and soybean fields everywhere. I'm sure the Foothills has to be better than that
Short answer....
3days south bound, one day in the Deals Gap-Cherahola-Nantahala-Hellbender,then 3 days north bound, with a half day spent at the D-Day memorial, in Bedford VA, should be just about right.... you COULD spend the whole time in one direction, but this way... you cover 150 +/- miles of BRP per day

You'll spend more time at the general store, buying t-shirts,stickers, etc than you will on the Dragon. Schedule your arrival there mid week, morning, and you can do the whole area, and be heading back to the BRP with ease (unless you decide to loop through a few times)
Leaving Cherokee on US-74 past Bryson City, to NC-28 (Hellbender) to US-129 (Dragon) to TN 72, to US-411 to TN 165, to TN/NC-143 (Cherahola) back to 129, to 74, back to cherokee... is just over 200 miles, which makes for a pretty long day, if you aren't used to curvey-a$$ roads. a good night's sleep and a six pack, will ease you back on the parkway the next day.

Weather plays a LARGE role in your plans... and frankly, if you do get rained out.... you've gotten one run on the BRP.
And expect at least some rain...

Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

East Tn. and Western NC have a lot of fun roads.. You may want to start at the southern end of the BRP and allow 2-3 days in the area.. Then hit the BRP and when you get to the Northern end you will have done about 2 weeks worth of riding in about 8 days.. Either way, your in for some good peg dragging time..

Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

skootchnc is spot on. It may sound crazy but if we had had the time his route is exactly what we would have done. Make notes on the southbound and visited on the northbound. The posted speed limit makes riding in the rain possible and even somewhat enjoyable. It DOES get chilly in the rain at elevation. Layer up and ride. I think that your significant other will truely enjoy the experience. I know that my wife certainly did. Even the part when some dumby left the lights on while we were eating and ran the battery down. All part of the trip.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

skootchnc gave you some good advice.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah - don't forget the great roads inside Great Smoky Mountains National Park!

Quick Reply: Blue Ride Parkway - north to south, or south to north?