Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ride Parkway - north to south, or south to north?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pastor: That's the problem...I keep doing research, and finding tons of great riding roads to try out in TN, NC, and VA. Tough trying to figure out a "route" for the overall trip!

Skootchnc: Thanks for the ride suggestion. Definitely will take it with more than a grain of salt. I don't mind the rain, we have plenty of gear to keep us comfortable regardless of weather. Wife doesn't care much for rain...but I'm hoping that the scenery may numb the complaints

Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Where I live, it's flat...corn and soybean fields everywhere. I'm sure the Foothills has to be better than that
Of all the roads I rode in the Smokies, I thought the Foothill Parkway was the least fun. I'd have to say our southern Indiana roads are better than the Foothill Parkway. It was like riding down a slightly curving road with trees on both sides so you really didn't see anything. Maybe I was disappointed with the Foothill Parkway because the other roads were so great.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I rode back from SMNP stayin on 2 lanes up through Indiana on up to Michigan a few years back. You can do it in reverse from Indiana in the same 2 days. Then about 3 days will get you a northward trip up the BRP on up into Penn.. 3 days back from Gettysburg stayin on the superslab. I say this because I have mapped and planned a ride much like that from here in Ohio stayin on 2 lanes strictly, or as near as humanly possible without wastin too much time. So I'd head south over into NC then back northward on into either MD or Penn then back home. You'd run the full expanse of the BRP, see the Smokeys, maybe the Dragon, and Gettysburg maybe.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
If we want to take the sourthern path, I'd take US 50 out of Indiana over to Winchester, VA, and work our way south and then back up the interstates home.

Thoughts?
We took 50 coming back form Washington DC Ride to the Wall earlier this year. It was great! There was one section of the road when crossing the mountains that reminded me of the Smokies.

Another way you might consider is going down through Kentucky and use 25E through Cumberland Gap and Tennessee. This is the way I went last August. 25E is mostly 4 lane and you can make pretty good time without riding the Interstate the whole way.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We went in 08 from Baltimore, it's 550 miles. The Blue Ridge is two pretty long days but a great ride, we blew home on the interstate, one day about 12 hours. Great riding out there, we are going again this summer. This pic is on the Skyway, the only drag is I think we saw a dead guy that went flying past us and about 1/2 hr later saw him on the shoulder, looked dead. So many people were already stopped the police were making people drive thru. Ride safe, this guy was not.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info everybody, thanks for your input.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Theres nothing but good riding most anywhere down there. Just watch out for the fools.....and have fun!