Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need ideas for a summer road trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009 | 10:21 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Do what we do...Chase the sun and see where the road takes you.

Old 12-19-2009 | 12:18 AM
oregonkickstart
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by deluxeroad
Have you guys been to the rally in Baker City in June? That's a good rally with several very nice poker runs. Also through eastern Oregon into Idaho Falls, Idaho (Craters of the Moon National Monument) and east towards Alpine Junction, Wyoming and then north through the Tetons and into the Yellowstone country is great riding. Late spring and early summer weather may still be unsettled. Check the posts under the Yellowstone thread. Also, what part of Oregon are you folks from?
We are from the Eugene area, but out in the stix about 30mi.

Old 12-19-2009 | 03:10 PM
MTGlide
Cruiser

Beartooth is worth seeing and it's pretty close to Yellowstone. I'm not sure how the weather is in the springtime or early summer - there was snow on the ground when I rode through Beartooth in August 2008.

Southern Utah has some incredible scenery too.

Old 12-20-2009 | 12:53 PM
oregonkickstart
|
Tourer

The ride to Beartooth sounds like the ticket for us... Yellowstone, Glacier park, etc. Do any of you have a suggested route through the various attractions out there? think I will be sitting down with my GPS software and try to get it figured out.

Old 12-20-2009 | 09:23 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I'm not sure when you mean by spring/early summer, but Beartooth Pass most likely will not be open before Memorial Day. Ditto for Going To The Sun road in Glacier. The Beartooth Rally is in mid-July...this year it's the 16-18th.

Check out the events here: http://www.beartoothrally.com/

Old 12-20-2009 | 09:55 PM
Haywired
Road Master

The parks in Utah below I-70 are well worth the ride. From Yellowstone you could cut through the eastern part of Utah and see some scenic countryside on your way. I was really impressed with the Moab area last fall and want to get back there and spend some more time.

Old 01-09-2010 | 10:27 AM
oregonkickstart
|
Tourer

So I finally plotted a couple of routes... The stops are numbered on the maps... #2 is Boise Idaho; the guys I am traveling with wanted to stop to see some friends there... #3 is the Beartooth Rally on the first map and #4 is the Yellowstone. In the second map Yellowstone comes first followed by Beartooth. I have yet to plot a course thru northern Utah... Just figured I would post these for some feedback... Any other suggestions/stops?

Any ideas?

Last edited by oregonkickstart; 01-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2010 | 01:47 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer

I would say Yellowstone as well or another great ride is Rocky Mountain National park and Estes Park Colorado. That is a great area and in July would be nice. Both offer you great scenery and miles upon miles of natural beauty that you just cannot get anywhere else. You said not around sturgis so I am assuming that you have ridden Needles highway, Custer State park and that entire area. It depends how far you want to travel. You could hit both Rocky Mountain Natioanl park and on the way home swing by Yellowstone. It all depends on how much time you have and how far you want to go. That part of the country to me offers some of the best rides that you can find. Good luck and keep us posted on your choice and follow up with us when you are done. It would be great to hear your feedback on the trip when you return.

Old 06-08-2021 | 03:44 PM
oregonkickstart
|
Tourer

*BUMP*
I just wanted to restart this old thread because summer is pretty much here. I've been gone nearly eleven years and I'm back...

Old 06-09-2021 | 09:15 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oregonkickstart
*BUMP*
I just wanted to restart this old thread because summer is pretty much here. I've been gone nearly eleven years and I'm back...
well, that was one helluva road trip, eh?

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a summer road trip