Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NC to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCoot
Sorry to hear about your friends. Thanks for the info. Do you know the town/area where this happened so I can be sure to add it to my list of places to avoid?
Thanks again,
OldCoot
Tijuana. I know that's pretty far west from you but as someone else said, things are getting pretty bad all across the border. I heard it was even spreading to the resort areas but we don't plan to stray far from the hotel.

Got a great deal and wanted to get some diving in. $1000 for a week at the Rio Caribe. Airfare, food, drinks, tips, everything. And there were even better deals.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Tijuana. I know that's pretty far west from you but as someone else said, things are getting pretty bad all across the border. I heard it was even spreading to the resort areas but we don't plan to stray far from the hotel.

Got a great deal and wanted to get some diving in. $1000 for a week at the Rio Caribe. Airfare, food, drinks, tips, everything. And there were even better deals.
I think that the classic resort towns are pretty safe. We own a timeshare in
Playa del Carmen across the inlet from Cozumel and I wouldn't have any special
concerns about areas like these. But a rider on a Harley crossing into the border
towns??? Not me!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having second thoughts, but I found a lot of resources by some RV travellers in Mexico: http://www.ontheroadin.com/

Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There is way too much to do/places to go in the good 'ol US of A. One side of the Rio Grande is about the same temperature as the other and you have to pass through border towns..by definition...to get to the interior. I travel a good bit both for business and vacation, including Mexico...if vacationing it is by cruise boat or airline to a resort area where you can be quite safe IF you ask beforehand. Mexico is a great place with great people...for the most part...the other part will getcha. From NC I believe I'd head for Key West if you are wanting to get warm, but if you head for South Texas I recommend stopping at the border. John

Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to go across the border at least once a month , when I lived down ion Corpus Christi, Tx. I would enter through Progresso, or Matamorus . Haven't been in 3 years, so it might have changed. But, I never had any problems in 25 years of going. I do know that the Laredo area and Nuevo Laredo is really having problems with drug wars and such. I think it was about 4 years ago, when police Chief in Nuevo was killed. They hired another, and 2 hours later, he was killed too. Bad stuff that direction.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easy to dismiss a lot of the US media stories as being "hype" but the BBC
is not known for overly excited reporting; here is some info from the BBC

Drug-related violence continued to surge in Mexico throughout 2009,
with more than 7,000 people reported to have been killed.
Beheadings, attacks on police, and shootings in clubs and restaurants are a

daily occurrence in some regions.

What is the scale of the violence?
If the violence is judged by the number of homicides linked to organized
crime, the situation appears extremely serious and worsening. The overall
number of drug-relate deaths since late 2006 when the security crackdown
began stands at more than 14,000. There were approximately 6,000 such
murders in 2008. That figure is similar to the number of US soldiers and
civilians killed in Iraq in the same year. The rate appears to have increased
in 2009, with the number of deaths up to the end of November put at some
7,300 by Mexican media.

Where are the worst-hit areas? Is it spreading across Mexico?
Mexico's northern border towns are experiencing the worst of the violence,
with Ciudad Juarez (just across the frontier from El Paso in Texas) standing
out as the country's most violent city with some 2,100 murders in 2009.
High levels of violence have also been seen in Michoacan and Guerrero states.
However, Mexico is a large country, and there are still many areas where
the serious crime rate is unexceptional.

Last edited by Mike Horrell; 12-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Hanzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a shootout between Mexico army and drug gang (Zetas) in Progresso last week......and that place is known for being safe....I lived and worked down on the border since 1984 and would not advise to travel in any border town for awhile...let them find out "who the bosses" are going to be.....lots of riding in the Hill country or Big Bend... and they are biker friendly..JMO

Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Electra Mule
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to get a Cool Photo of my Bike along the Border.... Maybe spend a Night in a Cheap Cantina.. The Adventure...BUT, some good friends in El Paso and South, Explained the REAL Situation.
Young guys wait at Intersections with Bats... When a Harley Rolls up, Smash your head and Ride off with your bike... Many Harley rental Places Will NOT rent a Bike Knowing it could Maybe even go into Mexico... Even with Insurance. Not to mention the Insurance fraud many try to get away with by Over Insuring a Bike, and Then taking it across the Border and selling it or Just walking away from it...saying it was stolen.
I wish kit were Different, But I would Recommend You stay away from Mexican Border Towns. SEŅORITAS and Cheap Beer? Fly to Costa Rica and Rent a Harley for a week... Not your bike, But safer.

God Bless... "Country Fried"

Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn shame what's happening down there. And not just because it makes it a less attractive place for our fun vacations. Alot of good people suffering and dying.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in San Antonio, and that is about as close as I want to get to Mexico. There are a lot of great people there, but until the Federales get the drug thing under control (which may well be never), since a lot of the cops and military are in on the drug deal also. I would stay out of Mexico, resorts and all, very dangerous right now.

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 12-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: NC to Mexico