Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:05 AM
08roady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Florida Keys

I am heading down to the keys in a week or so, anybody got some advice for me?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 AM
brasshatdiver
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of places in the keys. We take Card Sound Road after leaving Florida City and stop by Alabama Jacks (great conch chower) and busy with other riders on the weekend. Keep heading south ($1.00 toll and nice ride thru mangroves) down to Key Largo, our next stop is Holiday Ilses in Islamorada, live music, shops, beach, etc. If hungry and you like sea food go over the bridge and stop at Whale Harbor for all you can eat buffet. This is usually our turn around and we head back home. We head to Key West afew time a year and its a beautiful ride, not sure of the mames of the places we stop, know them by sight only. If anything else come to mind I'll let you know.
We heading back towards the main land from Key Largo stay on US1 back up to Florida City. Helps make a circle out of the trip.

Enjoy the trip, ride safe

Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Might want to post this in the Florida Crew Section Lots of Riders down that way Northern Florida is my turf although been to the Keys many times .. The above post layed it out pretty well ...

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 AM
flasun
Tourer

Originally Posted by 08roady
I am heading down to the keys in a week or so, anybody got some advice for me?
"Irish Kevins" Great place to be...wishing I was there now.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Advice: OK.
1) Follow the toll roads around Miami , Ft Lauderdale etc.... Hook up with AIA south of the city, at Homestead. You will waste way too much time getting through Miami.

2) Count on it taking twice as long riding through the keys as you think.. Traffic and is always slow.. Very few areas to pass. And you will see patrolmen running radar. Just enjoy. If you see some place you like, stop for a beer. No sense in getting in a rush, it won't help.

3. Grab a hotel room in Key west for at least 1 night and enjoy Duval Street.

and finally...

4) Eat at the local places, not the chains. Have a beer at Marguritaville and Hogs Bteath, but eat local. If it is on the water and offers Gag Grouper as a filet or Gag Grouper sandwich, Order it and thank me me when you return.... And for the finest casual dining , hit Louie's Backyard, I can't say enough about how great the place is. South side of the island, on the water under the trees, and the food is 4 star... You have to go to understand. Ranks at the top of all the restaurants I've eaten at anywhere in the US.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-05-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:45 PM
08roady
Tourer

Thank you all for the advice, It will be a great trip I am sure. I will let you all now how it went when I get back!!! Leaving in a week, so got a little time to chart something out.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:37 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

We stopped at the Square Grouper Bar & Grill on Cudjoe Key on our way BACK from Key West. Their grouper sandwich is EXCELLENT! It was a little pricey by our standards but I would definitely stop again if I ever get back down that way. Be prepared for crowds and traffic when you get to Key West. We saw a lot of Key West just riding around looking for a place to park. Bars and restaurants were PACKED!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my advise regarding riding on US1 in the keys is.. watch out for the cages passing on the bridges and keep your eyes open..Lots of cages do really stupid **** all the way down to key west be careful...And once you get to key west stay on US1 till ya see the green parrot bar (1 block from mile marker zero) then pull up on the sidewalk to park your bike and have a cold beer..

Last edited by flhxkiller; 12-12-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The_Dude
Advanced

In Key West..don't miss eating a grouper sandwich at Bo's Fish House or a cold beer at The Green Parrot Bar and Capt. Tony's Saloon. All are right off but not on Duval St. The Bull on duval has good rock n roll every night.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer

I rode down from north Georgia with my son and son-in-law a while back. Great riding through the Keys with the ocean on both sides!! Needless to say, lots of fishing and snorkeling opportunities. Snorkeling the reef was a lot of fun. Also, there is a lot of history so if you have time, do some sightseeing.

Quick Reply: Florida Keys