Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis, 2010, First time there

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
3Deffect
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shipped my stuff out last year and it went off without a hitch. Works really well.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Firedog
6th Gear

We stayed out in Spearfish and had stuff shipped out there waiting for us at the Motel. Don't ship your raingear for you will need it. When it rains it rains hard but never lasted longer than 2 hrs and it warmed right back up.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
I'm going for the first time in 2010... I've booked in Keystone, which is 50+ miles from Sturgis. Anyone have any thoughts on staying here? There were some rooms in Sturgis/Deadwood, but the prices are ridiculous, and my lady friend is not about to stay at a campground.
I've stayed in Keystone twice in the past...great central location, you will like it. No need to stay real close to Sturgis cause with everything to do in the Black Hills you will probably only go into Sturgis a couple times anyway.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Thumbs up We packed our bike for a weeks worth of gear...

We packed a weeks worth of gear for the 3 week trip out and back from NH. Did laundry on the road and what we purchased along the way, we shipped back home through USPS. Just my . You'll have the best time of your lives. I can't tell you how addicting it is!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

been there about 18 times(first time,1979,40,000 people),last 5 times went to race,make sure you make it to the drags @ sturgis dragway,right next to glencoe campground,go to www.ahdra.com for dates
kirby
facebook: kirby apathy

Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
pepper lynn
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how much stuff you really need if you are hotellng it all the way. As someone said there are laundry mats all along the way. The friend that we rode with last year mailed all purchases home so he didn't have to pack them. Between my husband ultra with bags and trunk and my bags and my roll bag on the rack we had more than enough room for a 14 day road trip.

Accomodations, we booked around this time last year and stayed Rapid City for about $200 US/night...a touch on the expensive side but only 25 miles from Sturgis and a good ride. Next time we plan to stay in one of the small towns in the area...yes Keystone looked pretty good.

Just have a great ride and enjoy the venues. I had never seen so many bikes in one place - what a great experience. Ride safe and have fun.

Pepper Lynn

Last edited by pepper lynn; 12-04-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

The hotel should be more than happy to accept the package for you. Most of the campgrounds do the same thing. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

we're going to this summer for our first trip.....gots the tent and everyhting already set aside and ready to go. It'll be a 2 day hard ride there but then going to sioux falls then north to winnipeg then west to the coast again....should be a hell of a run

Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced

Your Motel will exceopt a UPS package for you if you call them and UPS has a location in Stugis for outgoing. You will find that the people of Stugis are going to do everything they can to accommodate you. Sturgis is what you make of it, go with an open mind ready to just have fun. I have been going since 83, I miss some but always look forward to the next trip. If you are moteling and you have stock shocks on that Ultra, you should be able to pack everything you need with a luggage rack on your tourpack. I generaly stop every few days at a UPS store or Post Office and ship things home anyway and that way when you get home you get these packages full of all kinds of cool stuff. I can only envy you for getting to see Stugis and the Black Hills for the first time you are going to have fun. Happy Trails

Last edited by hiwaytime; 12-13-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Kurtismaximus
3rd Gear

Leave the trailer home! Plenty of vendors in Sturgis and anything you might need in Rapid City and Spearfish. Mail your souvenirs home. Bring camera, sunscreen, raingear (yes it will rain at least one day of the rally!!) and plenty of aspirin. Be careful if you're drinking as the cops will be everywhere and they don't have a sense of humor!
On mainstreet Sturgis stop at the Loud American. Awsome bar bands, no cover. Be sure to ride Iron Mountain Road. It's as close to the Dragon's tail as you'll find in the Midwest. Take a day to do Devils Tower and Hewlett, WY for "No Panties Wednesday"

Quick Reply: Sturgis, 2010, First time there