Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

crossing the divide... colorado.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 AM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crossing the divide... colorado.

i have the pleasure of a 30 day vacation this year... well... every year.

i will be traversing the country, and crossing the divide east to west, and again west to east.

can anyone tell me if they have done both the estes park 34 route, and the independence pass route. i would like to know which is a better scenic route. also, have any of you done both as a loop?? 2 to 3 days maybe. i may have the better half fly in to denver?? and loop it with me.

there will be many more questions, as this trip has taken flight, and the planning is getting fun.

rob

Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robreeny
i have the pleasure of a 30 day vacation this year... well... every year.

i will be traversing the country, and crossing the divide east to west, and again west to east.

can anyone tell me if they have done both the estes park 34 route, and the independence pass route. i would like to know which is a better scenic route. also, have any of you done both as a loop?? 2 to 3 days maybe. i may have the better half fly in to denver?? and loop it with me.

there will be many more questions, as this trip has taken flight, and the planning is getting fun.

rob
I have not done both passes but have done Estes Park/RMNP several times. Next summer my wife and I will be doing a similar trip as you; my wife will fly to Denver, I'll pick her up, head through RMNP then to Independence Pass, Aspen, Utah, etc. I would recommend you do both as they can easily be done in two days of riding. I can't yet speak about Independence Pass but RMNP is truly an awesome place to motorcycle. After all, it was designated a National Park for several reasons!!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Both are very scenic.

I'm partial to Independence Pass. Sudden storms can and do set in there. On a dry day, tough to beat.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant miss in Colorado. I agree with Lickmeister, you have alot of time, so southern Utah, Vegas, Arizona, Grand Canyon loop. You also have time to head north to South Dakota, then west to to Wyoming, south to Utah and Back to Denver loop also.

If it was me, i would head to Denver on the Interstates and enjoy the west for as much time as you can. Actually that is what the wife and i will be doing next July for a month..i still say Colorado is the best mile for mile State to ride in....

Maybe a few of these sites will help....

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/weaver/co-byways08/
http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/index.htm
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
http://www.dankalal.net/summary/best_roads.html#arizona

Grab some State maps and mark all the roads that are good in one color, and mark the must do roads in another....we all know routes will change with the weather and you don't want to miss any of the great routes.

Have a great trip...the West is the Best.....

Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 AM
NYBagger92
Road Master

i have a lot of time, but i have high hopes of seeing certain spots. i also have obligatory stops along the way.

quick shot out of the East.
Scenic 14 in Wyoming.
Custer, Dead Presidents, Sturgis (not the meet.) and the other Wyoming stuff
The Denver - Estes - Trail Ridge Rd - Independence Pass - Denver loop w wife on bike.
Vegas for 2 nights.
Desert ride.. i know.. brutal hot.. oh well.
San Fran and LA??
dip my feet in the Pacific O.
run a little of the coast.. not much as i have done it before.
Cali to AZ on 66.. give or take a bit for nostalgia.
dip into TX to see friends in Dallas, and Gardiner.
NOLA to see friends i made after Katrina during the relief effort.
Jacksonville FLA more friends
up through the Carolinas to Charlotte and Ft Bragg - my military days relived.

whatever i have left will be well spent meandering along the the east coast mountains.

still a growing plan, but shaping up nicely.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Lickmeister
Advanced

Originally Posted by robreeny
i have a lot of time, but i have high hopes of seeing certain spots. i also have obligatory stops along the way.

quick shot out of the East.
Scenic 14 in Wyoming.
Custer, Dead Presidents, Sturgis (not the meet.) and the other Wyoming stuff
The Denver - Estes - Trail Ridge Rd - Independence Pass - Denver loop w wife on bike.
Vegas for 2 nights.
Desert ride.. i know.. brutal hot.. oh well.
San Fran and LA??
dip my feet in the Pacific O.
run a little of the coast.. not much as i have done it before.
Cali to AZ on 66.. give or take a bit for nostalgia.
dip into TX to see friends in Dallas, and Gardiner.
NOLA to see friends i made after Katrina during the relief effort.
Jacksonville FLA more friends
up through the Carolinas to Charlotte and Ft Bragg - my military days relived.

whatever i have left will be well spent meandering along the the east coast mountains.

still a growing plan, but shaping up nicely.
I strongly suggest you don't miss Highway 128, between I-70 and Moab, UT. It follows the Colorado River and canyon into Moab. I also suggest Highway 12 in Utah, from Capitol Reef NP to Bryce Canyon NP. You should be able to easily work this in after you do Independence Pass on your way to Vegas. If you do Highway 12, DO NOT miss the Burr Trail road, from Boulder, UT to the Capitol Reef NP boundary. Beautiful ride through an old cattle trail, red rock canyons, etc. You will feel as though you're in an old western movie the whole time on the Burr Trail. You can Google it to get more info, pictures, etc.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master

Lickmeister
thanks
that is the kind of info that i have been looking for. i have seen this suggested in another thread, and it is on my list to check out. i had always wanted to do moab on a mountain bike, but MC will make me just as happy!

thanks

Originally Posted by Lickmeister
I strongly suggest you don't miss Highway 128, between I-70 and Moab, UT. It follows the Colorado River and canyon into Moab. I also suggest Highway 12 in Utah, from Capitol Reef NP to Bryce Canyon NP. You should be able to easily work this in after you do Independence Pass on your way to Vegas. If you do Highway 12, DO NOT miss the Burr Trail road, from Boulder, UT to the Capitol Reef NP boundary. Beautiful ride through an old cattle trail, red rock canyons, etc. You will feel as though you're in an old western movie the whole time on the Burr Trail. You can Google it to get more info, pictures, etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Burr Trail sounds like a plan. To do just the paved section, looks like it's not a loop, but rather an Up and Back ride. Is this right?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

There are tons of options that do not involve the tourist traps that are Trail Ridge and Independence Pass. For the record I live very near Independence and probably ride it 10 times per year on the conservative count. However they must be done as part of your exploration of Colorado. It is part of the deal. I will be hapy to give you some routes off the beaten path that are spectacular. Give me a couple of point a and b points and your schedule and I will work some things up. Also some of the best things you can do is head west from Denver and take any road that looks interesting. Probably won't be disappointed.

F

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Lickmeister
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
That Burr Trail sounds like a plan. To do just the paved section, looks like it's not a loop, but rather an Up and Back ride. Is this right?
Yes, the Burr Trail paved section ends at the boundary of Capitol Reef NP; the unpaved section will take you eventually to a paved road but it's several miles. I believe that most people are probably traveling Highway 12 between Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon and are therefore just taking a little side trip to the Burr Trail. You will regret not taking the time to travel this road; it only adds an extra hour to two but you won't forget it.

Quick Reply: crossing the divide... colorado.