Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
the Marble Falls area is a little farther north and is pretty awesome. it's on the Colorado river.
We met in Damon, TX then to Austin to Cedar Park to Marble Falls to Johnson City to Fredericksburg to Luckenbach - then to Blanco to San Marcos to Luling to Gonzales to Eagle Lake back to Sweeny w/ my Dad then home to Friendswood...

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pics Shawn, There was nine of us went down to Leakey the second weekend of Oct. for 4 day's. Had a blast riding the twisted sisters and all over the hill country. Glad ya'll had a good safe ride. Rain don't hurt, it just keep the dust down. The only bad thing out there is all the deer on the roads, even in the middle of the day.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time. I feel very lucky to live here and have access to all the great places around here to ride.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's great that you went on this ride with your Dad.

Also that he slowed up enough for you to keep up.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pics and ride. Thanks for sharing. I lived in San Antonio and have ridden the Hill Country many times, great riding.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Dude! -- Your bike's on FIRE. Very COOL! Was it like that when you started out or was it just that HOT in Texas?

Attached Thumbnails TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...-dude_yourbikesonfire.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Dude! -- Your bike's on FIRE. Very COOL! Was it like that when you started out or was it just that HOT in Texas?
Thats my Dad and the Bike was Painted by Pevito in Bridge City, TX... I'll tell him your comments.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
ronorr44
Advanced

I live in Abilene and would appreciate some of the details of the trip(i.e best roads, campgrounds etc.). Looked like a blast!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ronorr44
I live in Abilene and would appreciate some of the details of the trip(i.e best roads, campgrounds etc.). Looked like a blast!!!

Hey Ron, 335,336,337 are the twisted sisters. All three are good roads, lots od curves and ups and downs. Take 337 east to Madina and visit the Apple store for some good apple icecream. From there go up to Hunt and visit Stone Hinge, its really a site to see. All the roads in that part of the country are good roads for bikers. Sorry can't help you on camp grounds.

Attached Thumbnails TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...-twisted-sisters-ride-ii-094-small-.jpg   TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...-twisted-sisters-ride-ii-056-small-.jpg   TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...-twisted-sisters-ride-ii-021-small-.jpg   TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...-twisted-sisters-ride-ii-057-small-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ronorr44
First off... IF you want to camp around Austin this is a good state park (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...ey_falls.phtml). The campsites CAN be a bit close together and I might suggest some earplugs to get a good nights sleep. Otherwise request site #79 - it is off to itself and close to the showers...

Okay here's my suggestion for you ~ any other comments may help... For purposes of scenery - from Brownwood I would go 183 into Cedar Park (Avoid the 1 mile toll and stay on Regular 183) Around Walmart in Cedar Park you take 1431 (West/Right) at the light and around the lake you go. Its a newly paved up and down around the curves road with little traffic. Head west to Marble Falls (http://www.marblefalls.org/things_to_see__do.htm) then we headed south to Johnson City - that was a nice wide open newly paved road with little traffic. In Johnson City you pick up 290 and head West (right) to Fredericksburg. There you can pre-request a cabin or tent camp at the highly rated KOA for $26 total. It's the same in State Parks after you pay the "ACCESS" Fee ~ go figure! Surprisingly enough for its location it is extremely quiet. Luckenbach is 4m away and Fredericksburg is 5 miles away. There is the Wildseed Farm about a few miles E. and the "Old Tunnel" bat cave is about 8m or so away and then there's "Enchanted Rock" State Park if you like a good hike up a 640acre rock. And then if time permits... as mentioned above by Glide2005 - the twisted sisters is THE No.1 ride in Texas voted as such by "Club Riders" magazine or something like that. But you have to do that. Now... there is a place in Campwood, TX called Big Oak River Camp that is right on the Nueces River... (http://www.bigoakrivercamp.com/Cabins.htm) they have The Best cabins. Linens provided, its quiet and its enforced~!, right on the River and just a few miles South of Campwood which now has some pretty good eats in town. Hope this helps. Also there is Lost Maples State Natural Area which is rated No.1 in the state. (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...s/lost_maples/)
This should get you started...
Now as far as camping - make life great and get you a nice sized tent some twin inflating mattresses from Walmart $16.88 each, an inflation machine $21.88, and a $10 heater from Walmart. You will be comfortable and warm at night...

Last edited by usmcbay; 11-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: TX Hill Country Ride... Photos...