Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning my first actual road trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 07:24 PM
NSCoyote
|
Club Member
Default Planning my first actual road trip

well im plannign my summer 2010 road trip, and looks liek its gonna be Laconia Bike Week. sent an e-mail off to Pine Hollow Campground to see about booking a spot to pitch a tent, anyone stayed there before ? whats your review of it as far as biker friendly campground?

also being this is my first Official road trip on a bike * not using one as a commuter/get aroudn town bike btu an actual take off for a week thing* what kinda headaches am i gonan run itn oas far as state laws? i am comign from canada and will be traveling through Maine as well as NH. now up here the only issue i get is about my pipes and then its usually the " you should probebly put some baffles in there" cops. the only besides that that i think would be an issue is the fact i have no turn signals, up here its legal cause they wernt standard factory equipment when the bike was built. does the same apply down there?

any tips pointers etc for the trip?
the actual trip it self from here to wiers beach is only going to consist of about
2.5 hours driving give or take a smoke break. that is according to Mapquest.com as i am takign the ferry from yarmouth,NS to Portland, Maine. so outside of the obvious *plugs, points, bailing wire, electrical/duct tape and master links, tools to replace/repair the previous* i shouldnt need to pack to much bike wise right?

as for personal items i have a little travel pouch thats got my hygene essentials, but i figure maybe 3 pairs of jeans 3 shirts a bulk pack of socks *$6 at walmart for 10 pairs*, my leathers, and soem rain gear. soudn about right?

as for sleeping stuff i have a little 2 man tent that packs down to about the diameter of a 2lt of pop and about 16" long as wel las a sleeping bag about the same size. i figure that shoudl be good for a week???

also any of you that have doen this sorta trip how you guys feel about leavign your tent an stuff set up while your in town ? normally if i am camping wetehr on a campground or i nthe bus hi jus tleave my tent set up and my gear i aitn ridign with/using is left i nthe tent while i am otu and about, obviously my valuables come with me but i figure aint many people gonna be after some poor bikers gear right LOL.

anyway fee lfree to offer your input/advice as it is welcome

Old 11-03-2009 | 09:10 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Default Planning

I haven't stayed there, but Pine Hollow is right in the thick of things, right behind Weir's Beach and just down from the Broken Spoke. You better book fast if there's still vacancy for Bike Week.

As I mentioned in other Laconia posts, count on some rain. Be sure your tent is dry, and that you can deal with it in prolonged rain/damp conditions. It won't be easy to just check into a motel, as nearly all in the area will be booked solid that week. The only time vacancies open up is if the forecast is really bad, and people start canceling.

Check the Laconia schedule, and plan your events for each day. There's lots of stuff to do; races, group tours of the Kancamagus, Motorcycle Day on Mount Washington, etc. Bookmark this link: http://www.laconiamcweek.com/schedule/index.htm and use it to plan your week in Laconia.
Here's a link to the Mt. Washington "Ride to the Sky": http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/page-225.html

Leaving a tent at the campsite while you daytrip is the norm. For 1 week, three pairs of jeans/shirts sounds like a lot, but that's just me. Now socks, that's just plain luxury!

Good Luck!
JR

Old 11-05-2009 | 01:59 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
also being this is my first Official road trip on a bike * not using one as a commuter/get aroudn town bike btu an actual take off for a week thing* what kinda headaches am i gonan run itn oas far as state laws?
Hopefully you'll enjoy your road trip as much as I enjoy all of mine. It's not for everyone, so it's good to see you're starting with something reasonable.

Not sure, though, what you mean by trouble with state laws. If you ride reasonable and safe you won't have too much trouble of any kind. Be sure to know which states require a helmet and which don't. There are a number of websites that provide up to date helmet law data ... here's one:

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

It appears, though, that you may also be a bit concerned about pipes. Easiest answer is don't drive like an a$$hole and you probably won't have problems. The loud pipes debate is not the issue ... making so much noise that cops actually pay attention to you is. So don't do it.

Of course, there are some local constabularies that are enforcing the noise ordinances and pipe laws more and more. From my perspective, it's like speeding ... if you chose to break the law then don't whine when you get nailed for it. If I drive 15 over the speed limit (or put on illegal pipes) then I've got no room to complain because I got caught.

But that's just my opinion.

any tips pointers etc for the trip?
Know you limits and ride within them. That means you should ride when you are able to best handle the bike and the traffic around you. If you're tired, sleepy, or just not paying attention you're more likely to have problems.

Have fun ... for some that means covering as many miles as you can without stopping while for others that means stopping every 20 miles. Figure out what kind of rider you are and then adapt to meet the need for fun.

i shouldnt need to pack to much bike wise right?
I wouldn't. For the trip you're talking about a single bag will carry enough. A couple changes of socks/underwear, some fresh jeans, and a couple t-shirts should just about do it. Make sure you have rain gear. I like a dry pair of shoes for when I get off the bike, so I usually take along a pair of athletic shoes in the saddle bags. Other than that, you'll just need what you can get in your shave kit.

as for sleeping stuff i have a little 2 man tent that packs down to about the diameter of a 2lt of pop and about 16" long as wel las a sleeping bag about the same size. i figure that shoudl be good for a week???
I routinely do 21+ day trips with not much more than that. If you're okay in a tent then you can go as long as your back will hold out. Of course, the older I get the more I find that a bed, shower, and a TV at night are good things as well. I think my days of finding a farmer's filed somewhere off a small highway in the middle of nowhere are long behind me.

also any of you that have doen this sorta trip how you guys feel about leavign your tent an stuff set up while your in town ?
I do it routinely, but I never leave anything I can't afford to lose in the tent when I'm gone. In most commercial tent sites there are enough people around that you don't have too much trouble. But I sure wouldn't leave my Nikon D90 or laptop in a tent while I was away.

Of course, I feel the same way about leaving them on the bike when I'm on the road. That's one reason I like the Ultra, the tourpak and bags lock. So I've got a bit more security.

Old 11-05-2009 | 03:10 AM
meatball64
Tourer

In 07 I spent 62 days on the road touring the states all my nights were in camp grounds or KOA's. The days I wasn't on the road or just doing day trips I would leave my stuff at the camp site. Never had a problem with anything being taken. I didn't take a lot of clothes, I took as many old tee shirts as I could carry and discarded them on the road.
Your always picking up new things to ware and if your not careful you'll return with more than you left with. I would say my biggest problem was keeping clean clothes. Keep it light and simple if you need something you can always pick it up on the road.Here's a picture of my FB the day before I left. Enjoy your adventure. O'BTW when I returned I traded up to a EG and used the same set-up on it.

Attached Thumbnails Planning my first actual road trip-getattachmentp.jpg  

Last edited by meatball64; 11-05-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2009 | 02:58 PM
Electra Mule
Cruiser

Coyote,
I Have to Agree with Doc. I wouldn't Worry too much about the Police unless you stick out. "Back in the Day", I rode a rigid frame sporty Chopper with ape hangers and str8 pipes, No- Speedo, No directional lights, primer paint, and with my Tattoos and Bowie Knife hanging off my belt, I was Begging to be Pulled over...and I was. Often. But, EVEN THEN, If I Yes Sir and No Sir the Officers, they wouldn't break my stones. Most sent me on my way with a warning....
Now, 20 Years later, I have my Electra Glide and Look a little more grown up and Don't flaunt or Taunt the law.
I'd Watch the "Clubs" up in New Hampshire... Ride around them, you are begging to be picked off. Vermont has a tough Helmet Law. So if you cross state lines, wear your lid.
The packing sounds right. I like Fresh T-Shirts,,, I can go weeks in a pair of Jeans and even wear socks a couple times... but I need a Tooth brush and a Clean T-Shirt. I Buy the Packs at Walmart. 6 Hanes or FruitLooms for $7.45. I Wear the Shirt, and Wipe the bike down in the morning with it... and put a clean one on...Buy a new pack when I need. I Use a Sleeping bag and a bedroll... Plastic Tarp for tent. I leave my stuff, but like said, NOTHING I cant live without or replace. Most people are Honest, and I find if you ask the people camping on either side of you to keep and eye out, They all police each other.... Keep Honest people Honest.
Ride Safe and God Bless. "Country Fried"