Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Seeking Sturgis routes from Socal please. There and back...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seeking Sturgis routes from Socal please. There and back...

So this trip is in the planning stage and I need some routes. There were some psoted in the other thread but this is the right place for this thread. We are planning on 3-4 days there and 4-5 days back. We'd like to go there through Vegas and back through New Mexico and Arizona. Hopefully we will stay at campgrounds with the little cabins most of the way to save on hotels. Same thing for Sturgis if it's not too late to reserve some.

Regardless, we will be leaving from Los Angeles and up the 15 to Vegas and hopefully through Provo. Some good secondary roads would be much appreciated as we prefer not to ride the super slab most of the time. Good restaurants and such would appreciated too. Thanks. I never even thought would happen, but it is looking like it will now.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there Anubisss

We met at that cooks corner MnG a while back. Check this out...

My BIL and I were planning on hitting Sturgis in '10, but due to a wedding I need to attend in CO first of May, we are planning to hit the Laughlin Run end of April, then from there make a trip thru AZ to CO, back thru UT, NV (vegas) and home.
Here's a link to the route we'll be taking, maybe some of these roads will give you a clue for some of the route you can take.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/268184

IF.... we were going to do sturgis, we would have taken the same route up thru vegas up into UT thru ZION and BRYCE canyons.
Then from Hanksville, UT, we would have worked our way up to the N/E corner of UT and ride thru Flaming Gorge Natl Rec Area.
Not sure where we would have gone from there.

On the way back, I'd say make your way down in CO and thru Colorado Springs. I've been to the springs a few times in years past and there's lots to do and see there depending on what you like and how much time you got.
US Air Force Academy, US Olympic training facility, Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge. Awesome stuff.

From Colorado Springs, make your way back west to Black Canyon of the Gunnison N.P. and to Montrose, CO. Head south over the Million Dollar hwy to Durango.
Then you can keep heading south into NM, or continue on the route I have marked to Four Corners, Mexican Hat, UT (see goosenecks state park), to Grand Canyon, Kingman, and back to Bullhead City.

Hope this helps some. Whatever routes you take, have a great ride. I'll look forward to future reading of how your plans shape up, and then how the trip goes.

Chris
Hockey Stick

Old 11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Bonker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally use Google maps with the "avoid highways" checkbox selected to avoid the interstate.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
the reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the amount of time you have to get out there... I would take I-15 to Salt Lake, jump on I-80 West the whole way to Evanston WY then jump off and head north to Jackson Hole WY. From there head into Yellowstone and either A) head out the East Entrance to Cody WY (killer little cowboy town... go to the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum if you have time) or B) if you are feeling more adventurous, go out the Northeast Corner into a town called Cooke City and take the Bear Tooth Pass... craziest damn road I've ever been on! The peak is almost 11,000 feet! You end up in Red Lodge, MT which is also a great little cowboy town.
From there... head towards Gilette which takes you through Bighorn National Forest which is awesome as well. Then, on to Sturgis... your ride in will take you right past Devil's Tower so stop and take some pictures.

Mainly, just stay away from the side roads through Southern Wyoming... boring... hot... windy as hell all the time... you would just be better off getting back down to I-80 and going 80 mph to get where you are going. On the way home, going down through Colorado and cutting down across Southern Utah would be a fun way to go. Someone else would probably be better at giving exact recommendations for roads on that portion of the trip. I haven't been through that area in a bit.

Make your plans soon and get on the hotel reservations... especially if you are going to stay in Jackson or Red Lodge. Things fill up quick there. If you can, try to stay at the Yodeler Motel in Red Lodge... great people, extremely motorcycle friendly and a short walk to the town center.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I did this trip last summer. I live in Canada, we rode to Vegas, then on to sturgis.

So from Vegas to Sturgis I can give you some good routes. I did a lot of research before my trip and I think I did a great job.

From Vegas ride to Zion national park, go through the park and continue north to Bryce Canyon. You can stay there at a campground called Ruby's. It's big and has all the ammenities.

Then from Bryce head east on the number 12 through Escalante, Bolder and finally to Torry. This is an amazing road, don't miss it. From torry take the 24 east through Capital Reef park to Hanksville. This is where we turned south, you won't have time for the extra distance so turn north and connect with the interstate 70.

Once you're on the 70 head east to Colorado, you'll pass over two high mountain passes on the way toward Denver. This is actually a fun interstate because of the seriously long hills. It's really cool

Don't go to Denver. Stop at Idaho Springs, about a half hour before Denver. If you have time take a side trip up to the top of Mount Evans. It only takes an hour or so up but it's the highest paved road in North America. Lots of switchbacks and riding along unprotected cliff bands, not for the faint of heart. Definately worth the side trip.

Now this is where we were having problems with the people we were travelling with. Lots of infighting, blaming, hard feelings, etc. So we just beamed basically straight for sturgis to minimize problems. But what I wanted to do and what I highly recommend for you is to take the 40 north through winter park then you'll see the turnoff to 34 which takes you to Estes Park. That road is one of the most highly recommended motorcycle roads in the US. Do don't miss it.

By now you'll be running out of time so head east to the I25 and bee line it north to Sturgis.

When you come home, I recommend going south down the east side of the state of Utah down the 191 through Moab. Dont miss the Moquee Dugway...
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ba3c5403bae5bd

Then go through mexican hat and monument valley. You won't be disappointed, I will gaurantee it.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t know how many miles you’re willing to do in a day, but I’m going to guess between 400-500 if you want to get to Sturgis in 4 days. The Yellowstone route proposed by The Rev is a good one, we’ve taken both of those routes together. However, to fit into your 4-day timeframe, I think the Yellowstone route would be best saved for another time. We spent 4 days on that route from SLC to Sturgis…lots to see and do. It all depends on where you want t o make some good time. Choose I-15 north or I-80 east, or do a few hundred miles on both of them. Here’s my route suggestions:

From Vegas: I-15 north to Cedar City. Take UT-14 east to Long Valley Jct. North on US-89 to UT-12. You’ll pass Bryce Canyon, you might want to stop. Continue on UT-12 through Escalante, Boulder & Torrey. From this Junction, you’ll have two options: #1 = west on UT-24 to north on UT-72 to north again on UT-10 to Price/Helper, UT. #2 = east on UT-24 to Hanksville an I-70. East on I-70 about 10 miles then exit north on US-6/191 to Price/Helper, UT. From Helper , continue on US-191 North to Duchese (pronounced Doo-Shane…I wouldn’t want the locals makin’ fun of ya), Vernal, past Flaming Gorge reservoir into Rock Springs, WY (There’s a huge HD dealer here). The section from Vernal to Rock Springs is such an awesome road! Now it’s time to make some time…I-80 East from Rock Springs to Rawlins. North on US-287 to Muddy Gap. East on WY-220 to Casper. I-25 North to Buffalo. I-90 east past Gillette and exit at US-14 north. Take WY-24 north/east…This will take you right by Devil’s Tower. Continue on WY-24 through Beulah and into South Dakota. Take a right on US-85 to Spearfish, SD. You’re pretty much to Sturgis now. I’m not sure where you’re staying, but don’t pass up a ride through Spearfish canyon aka US-14A.

OK, you had a great time in Sturgis. Now it’s time to get home. Here’s a fun way:

Head south any old way to Custer, SD. Take (#1) US-16 west and US-18/85 south to Lusk, WY or (#2) take US-385 south, SD-89 south, US-18 west and US-18/85 south to Lusk, WY. Take US-18/20 west to I-25 south through Cheyenne and Fort Collins, CO. Exit on US-34 towards Loveland and Rocky Mountain National Park. Take US-34 through the park to Granby, CO. South on US-40 to I-70. West on I-70 to exit #195 for CO-91 to Leadville. Once again, you’ve got two options and these are the toughest two route choices you’ll have to make if you decide to follow my directions. Both routes will take you to Montrose, CO. #1 = South on US-24 out of Leadville. West on CO-82 over Independence Pass to Aspen (Aspin, if you’re a “Dumb and Dumber” fan) and Carbondale. South on CO-133 to Hotchkiss. You can go west or south on CO-92 to Montrose, CO. #2 = South on US-24 out of Leadville to Salida, CO. East on US-50 to Montrose, CO. OK,one way or another, you’re in Montrose now. Take US-550 south to Silverton and Durango, CO.

That’s all I’ve got. I don’t really know New Mexico or Arizona too well, but you’re pretty close to both of them from Durango, CO. Good luck and have fun! I’ll let someone else fill in the rest of the trip…

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Mapquest and avoid major highways, and add in stops along the way. It worked good last year.