Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska - Arctic Circle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alaska - Arctic Circle

I am in the process of planning a future trip to Alaska (July 201?) on my 2008 Ultra Classic. I do want to ride the Dalton Highway as far as the Arctic Circle monument, just south of Coldfoot. I am looking for some recommendations from those who have made this trip on a Ultra Classic, Classic or Standard and reached the Arctic Circle area, and how the road conditions affected their ride. I realize the Ultra Classic is not the ideal motorcycle on gravel roads, and that it will be very slow 187 or so miles, but is this last leg of the trip advisable on an Baggger? Anyone with any experiences to share would certainly be appreciated.

A thank you in advance to all who respond!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might check over on advrider.com. Alot of the people on that site have been there but very few Harley riders on that site. Not to many good words for Harley there. But there are many ride report and pics from all over the world.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to do this at some point also, but I may have to wait until I can take more time off at work than 2 weeks at a time.

I've read several trip reports on Alaska trips and most of the riders rode some sort of dual sport touring bike. You could probably make it on a Ultra, but you may have to do some paint work when you get home and you may want to get famiar riding on unpaved roads.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
CFDgrunt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving July 23, 2010 for Alaska from Cleveland. Solo.. I was told by a couple friends that did it last year on BMW's that it was very difficult to navigate the dalton highway. They said once they got up to the circle they were trying to find anyone with a truck to haul their bikes back. They told me it was very stressfull trying not to get swalloed up by the ruts and not get run over by the truckers. i asked them if they thought i could do it on my Ultra and they told me absolutley not. Now thats just what they told me. I'll check it out once i get to Fairbanks and ask around, but if i don't do it on my scoot i'll rent a car.

Hope this helps. Be safe and have a great trip.

check out these trip reports

http://www.epilcher.com/alaska/Default.htm

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthr...t=2211&garpg=2

Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

I must say that i have planned many trips....long trips....but i must say, none of them have had it in the plan to ride on any gravel roads.....certainly not 187 miles worth.....

....but all i can say is that it will make a really great memory and riding story.....

....what else really is there.....

I hope it all come together and you have a safe and eventful trip......eventful meaning only good things happening.....keep the rubber side down....

Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys do it on Harleys all the time.

Is it the best bike for the trip? NO.

Too many miles on gravel/dirt. But if you carry a couple extra belts and practice that before you go.....there may be some piece of mind. Patching tires, too.

A large-displacement "adventure" bike is the best tool for the job, e.g. a BMW R1200GS or GS Adv, a KTM 990 Adv, a V-Strom 1000, a Uly, etc.

You can do it on smaller bikes, too. Many do. But given all the tools, spare tires/parts, etc. you'd have to haul, I like the larger, torquier bikes.

I've never done a trip like that, but I have done a few thousand miles on high-altitude dirt/gravel on my KLR, and have learned the limits of it. It's fine here in the northern Rockies, but for a trip like AK to Deadhorse..........I'd go for an R1200GS.

But if I were just riding to AK on my Harley, I'd take the ferry up there and ride from there.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You to everyone who responded. Since I do want to ride the Ultra up to Alaska, I am now looking into the possibilities of purchasing a KLR 650 from a local dealer here in NJ, with the dealer making arrangements for me to pick it up in Fairbanks Alaska from another dealer, and having it shipped home after returning to Fairbanks. This way I can continue on with my trip from Fairbanks to Cabo on the Baha Peninsula before heading home to NJ.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

One of my customers on a Ultra did it a few months ago. He is an infrequent poster, maybe he can give you a few tips. He said that this summer was an excellent season and encountered few problems all in all. 17,500 miles in 2 months is what I remember. He bought a new bike for the trip and brought along a buddy on another bike, naturally. They just rode alot and criss crossed the USA in no particular order. Started from Stewart FL, went to Key west, across the South, up the left coast, and back down to Sturgis for the rally. I did speak with him in person and I gathered this was the best single event he ever experienced in his life as far as motorcycling. If my facts are wrong than I will stand corrected. Wish he would post the photos he showed me here.

Good Luck

Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
the reverend
Tourer

when we were up there last year, we ran out of time to do the Dalton... most of the roads that we were told were going to be unpassable on touring bikes were just fine. BUT... we talked to a few guys on dual sports and both of them changed tires, so I would avoid it on the touring bike. I would check fairbanks for rentals too.
Try to be in Fairbanks for the Solstice... it's a hell of a party!!!
One other piece of advice... by the best raingear you can! If your trip is like ours, you will be wearing it every single day once you hit Northern Canada.
Send me a PM if you have any other questions about the trip... it's the best adventure I've ever been on.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like the trip of a life! Post some pic's when it's all done... and of course, ride safely whatever bike you decide to ride.

Quick Reply: Alaska - Arctic Circle