Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska - Arctic Circle

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 AM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A short bit of information on the Dalton Highway - The Haul Road.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...87.html?page=5

U-234, Great Post and nice job. You can still keep it though. Radiate on!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced

I rode my 2008 HD FLHTC with spoke wheels and all to the Arctic Circle, Coldfoot and Wiseman in July of 2009. Can be done if you have a goal-it is that simple. There is a secret to the road which I will let you experience and discover just don't stop once you start. It is the "HAUL ROAD" so the truckers have the right away, watch your mirrors. I had no problem but is does get slippery when wet!!! The Alaska DOT don't care about you and that water truck driver should be HUNG!! Don't use your CD player or leave a CD in it There is gas at the Yukon crossing and at Coldfoot, No problem. The Coldfoot Truck stop has GOOD food. The lodge in Wiseman is a pinch yourself. I went up on the Alaska Marine Highway-Strongly recommended. Rode the whole state of Alaska. Rode the Alcan back. The Alcan can be worse than the Dalton. That is where I had a flat and got one of my Hlights busted out. The Canadian DOT have a bazzar notion of what it means to fix a road. This was a great ride-good people all the way. But I have been touring N America on Harleys since 1979 and all people are good if you are. I live in Utah and would like to invite everyone to tour Utah. That Harley wants to go down the highway the only thing stopping it is you. GO FOR IT. Happy Trails to You.

Last edited by hiwaytime; 12-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
08UC
Cruiser

hiwaytime,
what a great first post.

welcome

Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about anyone post that has ridden their Harley touring bike up the Dalton Highway at least to the Arctic Circle. What were the weather conditions and time of year that your rode too? I am planning to ride my 07 Ultra Classic to the Arctic Circle in June/July 2010. I have read a lot of trip reports on ADVrider, but not sure any of them were on a Harley. (Don't read much on that forum that is Harley related, but there are some great pics and trip reports on there!!).

Thanks

Jim
'07 Ultra

Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

July 07 - we had a rental - were NOT allowed on the road to artic circle - mainly because of history of trie problems... have a flat and you are SCREWED... However, we did make the ride but not on the harley... I 'might' try it on my bike??? most likely be ok if it did not rain... rain would make it really rough..

Keep in mind Trucks have the RIGHT OF WAY "ALL" the time..

enjoy..

Last edited by harley0711; 12-17-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I saw a few bikes.. ALL I saw were the types of bikes that were built for dirt/gravel and most had tires and fuel strapped on them... If you are only going to the circle - not as bad as if you were going to dead horse - now that is a different story... very long haul and not really all that fit for a big touring HD - just my opinon... If you really want to do this... contact the HOGG in Fairbanks and talk to them..

here is a contact... "Mike" pres mdkane@alaska.com

Old 12-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Jude1986
Intermediate
Default June-ish trip to alaska

Im looking to make this trip this summer. I will be heading from NY to the start of the Alcan and hanging out for a few days while I do maintenace and get ready for the long trip. I would like to travel with a group, for safety and because it would be more fun. So...

If anyone is going and doesnt mind a stranger tagging along please send me an email.
If anyone else is going solo and wants to met up let me know.

We can meet anywhere between NY and Washingtonm, or we can just meet up there at the start of the highway.

Im free all summer! Let me know.

If anyone knows of a better place to post this that would be helpful also. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
icefogg
Novice

I'm from alaska, hence the name ICEFOGG, nasty if ya ever been in it, currently in NC but the plan is to be home in Soldotna AK this 2010 july. Its a great place to ride and hope to make the trip on my on one day. Would love to show ya some of my home state and we got room ta spare as we do run a hunting-fishing guide service as well in Deep Creek. send me a email if ya plan ta be there that time. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Cummins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Los Angeles to Arctic Circle June 2010

I am heading up to the AC June 2010 and desire to be at the AC on June 21st. Rideing a 2008 Ultra.

This trip is doable on an Ultra, just protect all that you can (I am having clear Bra applied to everything facing forward). Making arrangements to have tires available in Fairbanks shoud they be needed and a spare belt. Chip seal sucks for tire life.

I rode to Tok, AK in 2002 on a Gold wing and it did fine. Camped the every night but one. The Haul road is rough and I expect that truckers will be a force to be reconned with. If they are given the righ of way I am sure they will be fine.

Dan
DLJx2@roadrunner.com

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM
hiwaytime
Advanced

If you are gong to do the Acrtic circle, read my prior post on this forum but I will add. You don't really have to worry about the new belts. The HD shop in Grand Praire,ALB told me they had a full time belt man to replace belts on the older bikes like my 95 but Harley designed the new belts to handle everything and they said that they rarely change a belt anymore. If you put on new tires before you go, you will be OK, I was. But Fairbanks HD has whatever you will need and they are good people. Do not plan on recconing(?) with the truck drivers on the Dalton. It is THEIR road, they are there to make money and they do not give the way to anyone. They have radios and they will decide what they think of you. When I was there in July 2009 the weather was warm and I made a freind on the Dalton and we rode around Fairbanks on my bike in T-shirts. The coast like Valdez and Seward was cold and wet but once you get to the interior it is nice. But listen, if you ride to the Arctic Circle don't stop there. Go up to Coldfoot, the visitor center or the truck stop will call up to Wiseman and make a res. for you. Stay the night up there. Good luck and Happy Trails

Quick Reply: Alaska - Arctic Circle