Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas hill country "need some advice"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:57 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas hill country "need some advice"

We had a trip planned for the end of the week to go up into the Smokies. However the weather may take us to plan "B". We are considering the Texas Hill country. Any help on roads, were to stay, places to eat, points of interest. We will have 7 solid days to ride and explore, so staying in one place is not important. Maybe a couple of days in two or three spots. We would also be interested in San Antonio area for a day to check out the Alamo or other sites. Any help would be appreciated. There will be 3 couples, all riding 2 up. We are all seasoned riders so long hauls are ok by us. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
formike56
Club Member

If you are going to San Antonio. You need to go ride the 3 Sisters. It is west of SA. Also BigBend national park is nice this time of year. along with the Davis Mtns., Terlinga, Alpine, Marathon.... Alll good area's to ride. You can research them all on the web... Good luck have a safe ride..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

I suggest that you search this forum if you have not already done so as there is a ton of information in roadtrip and southwest sub forums. Both the popular mapping sites have the particularly good ones reviewed.

I like Kerrille for a central location and there are some really nice roads I have personally done and recommend. 16, 39, 335 336 337 1340 473 will ntertain you for 2-3 days of easy riding. There is a popular loop North of Fredericksburg that maps show and any local rider can outline. Take care to avoid commuter times if you go into Austin or San Antonio. In Kerrville I like the Inn of the Hills, clean, reasonable and food is terrific..if you make reservations ask for a room with parking just outside or park out front and stay in their "loft". Beer joint available that has live music etc so you can have a few and not ride.

I included a video I did in early June to give you a taste...on 39/335/336 but does not do it justice. Click on the boxes with an arrow...have no idea why the other 2 showed up. If you do not enjoy the Hill Country I will cheerfully refund all the money you paid for my comments.

Make a contribution here when you get back so we can all share. John

Last edited by flibuoy; 10-20-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM
88b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there twice The Three Sisters is good riding

Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We went in May and followed this web sites directions for some great riding. Bandera is a great town to stay in. Close to everything and small with little traffic.

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/

Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This is another site that might help you plan a trip to anywhere.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
mmont
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the Kerrville area or Bandera for the stay. 335 336 337 39 16 and 473 all are some great roads. Ride the loop one way one day the next day the other way, the views of the canyons are quite different. Bandera has quite a nightlife if you are up to it.
Mark in Houston

Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
We had a trip planned for the end of the week to go up into the Smokies. However the weather may take us to plan "B". We are considering the Texas Hill country. Any help on roads, were to stay, places to eat, points of interest. We will have 7 solid days to ride and explore, so staying in one place is not important. Maybe a couple of days in two or three spots. We would also be interested in San Antonio area for a day to check out the Alamo or other sites. Any help would be appreciated. There will be 3 couples, all riding 2 up. We are all seasoned riders so long hauls are ok by us. Thanks in advance.
Being from Texas, you can't go wrong riding the Hill country, beautiful scenery, twisties, and great places to eat. head for the Lone Star State!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Two recent day trips I did to Hill Country that I posted to this forum.

Lime Creek Rd.

Marble Falls and Lake LBJ

If you are riding 2 up, Lime Creek Rd. can be a major challenge. Take it cautious and you will be OK. Nice scenic vistas.

In San Antonio, the River Walk is a must see. No, you can't ride your bikes on the River Walk.

Old Tunnel is a great ride. An old abondoned railroad tunnel. No you can't ride your bikes through the tunnel. Rocks fall down from the roof and will hurt you. Besides, the floor of the tunnel is flooded with about 1 ft. deep water.

Park Road No. 4 is a great ride. Yes, you can ride your bikes on Park Road #4. Watch out for deer that roam onto the road.

If you stop in Marble Falls, the Bluebonnet Cafe on Hwy 281 is a must stop to chow down.

There is a Texas Hill Country map that is available that lists all the tourist and riding attractions.

Enjoy!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Thanks guys for all of the replies. Great videos and great photos. Sailor, not sure what was on that plate in the photo but I could smell it. Well we are still not sure which direction we will be headed this Friday A.M. We may flip a coin when we pull out of the drive way, but I will make it to the Texas hill country sooner or later. The Smokies still look wet and cold for the week. I've done it before but would rather pass this time. I'll let you all know by posting later. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Texas hill country "need some advice"