Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip advice Phoenix to Grand Canyon???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 AM
nukeman19
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rethink the trip??

I must admit that I hadn't realized that it could be cold in Arizona (born and raised in Michigan). Should I scrap the plan for the GC? If so, can any of you suggest an alternative 2 day ride starting in Mesa? Thanks for all the input!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nukeman19
I must admit that I hadn't realized that it could be cold in Arizona (born and raised in Michigan). Should I scrap the plan for the GC? If so, can any of you suggest an alternative 2 day ride starting in Mesa? Thanks for all the input!
I don't really have any alternative rides, per se. I'm from Tucson, way down in the South side of the state. Some of the Phoenix riders might have some suggestions. Try posting in the Soutwest threads. It's not that the state gets so cold, it's the fact that Flagstaff is at 9,000 ft and the South Rim of the Canyon is at 7,000 ft. Prescott and Sedona are at 5400 and 4500 ft so a ride to Sedona might not be out of the question.
Go through Wickenburg to Prescott and then on up through Jerome to Sedona. Again, the Phoenix rides can tell you what the temps will be like in November. Though the scenery isn't nearly so grand, a ride down to Tombstone would also make a pretty good ride, and warmer. just don't take I10, there's nothing to see off it. Like I said, try posting in the Southwest threads, you'll get plenty of ideas.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out Williams AZ. Nice place to stay, & also check out the Grand Canyon Railroad. Our trip there was absolute 1st class all the way!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 AM
LTBiker
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Heading anywhere north in November from here could be a crapshoot with the weather, as others have mentioned - cold, snow, etc. If you want a warmer alternative for 2 days, head southeast down to Bisbee - an old mining town that is quite picturesque and interesting. The Copper Queen Hotel there is a historic place to stay, and you could check out Tombstone on the way down or back. I'd suggest heading east from Chester's on US 60, then take Hwy 79 south through the desert to Tucson, then have to take I-10 for a ways to Benson, then state highways from there on south to Bisbee........a couple different route choices. No mountains until you get almost to Bisbee, but the desert can be nice this time of year. Wherever you decide to go, ride safe and have a great ride!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A ride to Tombstone/Bisbee is a good choice. Like was stated above, a good back road would be 79 to Tucson. Once you get to Tucson, take Ina Rd. to I-10 and head East. Just southeast of Tucson you head South at exit 281 on 83. This is a great roadd that will take you to Sonoita, AZ. This is just a crossroads where you head East on 82 past 90 and then on to 80 and then South into Tombstone. From there it's just a few miles to Bisbee. this is a ride we take from Tucson a lot. There's not a lot of traffic on these back roads and the scenery ain't too shabby. There's also plenty of gas stops. For a quick trip back North from Bisbee, just take 80 straight back to Benson and I-10. Grab a map and check it out.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Rakel Edith
Stage II

There to do at the Grand Canyon besides the obvious

My girlfriend and I are planning a short trip the Grand Canyon this coming weekend. I was just inquiring as to what else is there to do than stare at the canyon? It's a 5 hour drive or so, so around 10 hours round trip, just want to make sure it's worth it. I heard it's only 2 hour more onto Vegas so we might do that, but I would perfeer to not have the 7 hour drive home. Any suggestions of what to do at the Grand Canyon or other places to visit that are near Phoenix,

Old 10-31-2009, 09:27 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

nukeman been there done that.. i'd run up I17 north to sedona and catch the sunset theres a best western in town thats bike friendly on 89 right in town. seems there was a watering hole nearby .. the next morning after breakfast it should be warm enough again to take 89 SOUTH towards pre scott you'll go thru cottonwood and jerome on your way, i'll usually stop and get lunch on whiskey row in prescott, its right in downtown prescott on 89. Then continue on 89 SOUTH down the yarnell hill into congress,az to 93SOUTH to Winkenberg and take 60 back into phoenix. I promise you will love this ride, in fact I'll be doing it sometime the 2nd week in Nov. myself. Go to phoenix every year around this time, compared to michigan this time of year az is great. it can be cool in the am but by noon its really nice just because the sun is out..bring what you would wear in the fall in michigan and you'll be fine. have a good ride