Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

local road trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005 | 08:26 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Default RE: local road trip

There's nothing wrong with an early B-Day present. Are you going to sell or trade your old bike in? My dealer would take $100 deposit and hold it for a month as long as they weren't too swamped with other bikes to store. In fact, I did put $100 down, they took it off the floor within 15 minutes and by the time I kept making changes to the extras and waiting for things to come in and the financing to be arranged (I had it pre-approved through my credit union @ 5.5% so you may want to shop around on that) it took about 5 weeks before I picked up the bike and gave them the final check.
I just wanted to let you know that there are ways to sometimes get the bike you want "reserved" and off the showroom floor and not have to come up with all of the money within a week. The first thing I did was to say that this is definitely the bike that I want, but I want a week or so to think about the add-ons that I want with it. Once that they were sure that they made the sale and that I wasn't just asking them to hold it on spec., they were real easy to work with.
Best wishes, Art

Old 05-17-2005 | 10:19 PM
Tripper
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Continuing story

We arrived at the dealer and were shown a RK Classic and a Heritage. Then he let me test drive a couple of used bikes of the same models. Well, during said test drive some yahoo who had been looking at the Heritage, called in an bought it out from under me[:@]. Now in the meantime Kat has been trying on the RK and Softlails for comfort. At this moment a couple of folks drive up on Ultras and invite us to try their rides[:@] (sitting on not driving). Well folks, guess what? Kat is interested in comfort on a long ride..., but the dealer ain't got any Ultras. He consults his list and has a EG Standard coming in early June along with two Heritage Classics. It is clear at this point tha Kat has been won over by the EG and with a little help from the wi$h book she can make her dream come true. So we put a deposit down on the EG and Kat goes home with a brand new wi$h book. "...and the beat goes on."

Old 05-18-2005 | 12:27 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, well, Lee! You are the man, and you would seem to have a terrific wife!

Word of caution, I have the EG standard, it does not come with many of the features of the Ultra, no cruise, no radio, no big ol' tour pack...you have to add all that. You'll never have the four speakers (I don't think), and it's short a few gauges. The Ultra also has some plug in ability with headsets and the like for both you and your rider (pretty sure on that, I'm sure someone will chime in).

Not trying to rain on a parade, I have the Standard, and I like it VERY, VERY, much! But, I think if I had known what I know now, I might have bought the Classic at least, as you can make the tour pack removable. For me, that was the defining feature, being able to make it a convertible by removing the tour pack. I have done much to it, and I'm putting the radio in tomorrow, but, want you to be informed.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Either way, congrats! It sounds like your wife was looking at the Ultra, and making a decision based on those bikes...I think you will be happy, I just want you to be informed, friend! In either event, I think you will both be more comfortable on the EG compared to the Heritage, though the Heritage is a sharp looking ride!

Mac

Old 05-18-2005 | 02:13 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

you'd better haul butt, before she changes her mind.....women do that sometimes { i heard} !!

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:04 AM
Harley Rulz
Banned

Man I must have ESPN.I had a feeling this was gonna happen.Nothing at all aginst the Hrtg.but for the money and for riding two up the EG is the only way to go IMHO.I almost bought a HRTG. Springer till my wife sat on the EG and it was all over.I'm with Mac.On a tour bike I want a tour pack and by the time you add it to the Standerd you're at the price of the Classic and you get the pollished engine on the Classic but I'm sure you already know that.Just my two cents.

Good luck with your decission
Craig

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:35 AM
rgerber
Road Master

Hey Tripper!

As long as you're on a roll, find someone that has an Ultra and take it for a test ride. I just went thought the process myself. Nancy has fallen in love with the new Ultra and is almost as exited about it as I am. None of our local dealers have one here in the AZ north country, but the Phoenix Valley does. I got mine at Hascienda last week.

Old 05-18-2005 | 03:40 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

Tripper congrats on getting the new ride. Sounds like you got an awesome wife there. And it definitely sounds like the HD bug's been biting.

Old 05-18-2005 | 05:18 PM
Tripper
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ARRRRRRGH, just got word that we may be appointed guardianship of our 16 year old granddaughter. There goes the EG for now, I hope that there will be some '05s left around when we get back in to the swing. The dealer claimed that there is not any differences in the '06 compaired to the '05 but seems to me that is when some "you can't do that anymore" changes start. We both thank you all for the support of our erstwhile purchase and sorry to disappoint ya'll,

Old 05-18-2005 | 05:44 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Tripper,

I would submit that you have made the right choice, and for a worthy cause. Ride what you have for now...your time is coming, these kinds of sacrifices usually are repaid in spades.

Mac

Old 05-19-2005 | 02:07 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior

What Mac said...exactly! Art

Quick Reply: local road trip