Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mexican Hat, UT area

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mexican Hat, UT area

I'm working on piecing together a first time big ride for me and maybe one or two others next year.

This will take us across AZ and through SW CO and S UT, back down thru Vegas and back home to OC, CA.

We'll be heading from Grand Canyon area on the 160 through four corners and Cortez, UT on to Durango, UT.

Quick question for now is.... Should I add a diversion and turn onto the 163 at Kayenta, AZ up to Mexican Hat, UT and then to the 191 and back down to the 160?
This loop only adds about 50 miles. We'll have the time, just wondering if this loop would be a worthwhile ride. IE, nice ride/road good town or bar along the way to stop and see?
Or just as good to stay on the 160 between Kayenta and Red Mesa, AZ?

Coming back from CO we will be just north of Mexican Hat, hitting Blanding, UT and then up the 95 to Hanksville, UT.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely recommend Mexican Hat. Here are some pics from my trip there in August. Look at the folders for Aug 3 & 4 for the Mexican Hat area:

http://picasaweb.google.com/powhatanfarm

Taking Rt 261N out of Mexican Hat to Goose Necks State Park is some great scenery and riding. On up 261N is the Mokee Dugway. Although it is gravel for about 3 miles, it goes up the face of a mesa 1,000 feet with 10% grades and lots of switchbacks. No problem going up and back down on my 07 Ultra in August! The Mexican Hat Lodge is a great place for a beer and steak. The Cottonwood Steakhouse in Bluff is good too, but not as good as Mexican Hat Lodge! Got pictures of the steaks on the site! Cannot beat the Twin Rocks Cafe for breakfast. A great place to stay is the Desert Rose Inn in Bluff too. Of course you will ride through Monument Valley on the way there from Kayenta too.

Jim
07 Ultra

Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
marshrat
Advanced

Second the above for Mexican Hat. Wife and I stayed at a motel on the river, which I don't think was the Lodge, but also great food.
Did Mokee Dugway also.
Wow!!! Not for the feint of heart!
Also, Monument Valley.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Awesome !!

Nice pictures Jim. I'll take a good look at 'em when I get more time. But looks like the ticket.

Thanks Much !

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn it i wish it was riding time!!! and i wish i had my bike here already....soon i guess!!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

Did that damn Mokee Dugway yesterday!!!! Not MY idea of a good time, but I'm just the passenger, d/h had a great time. Thats because HE has his hands on the handle bars, I just hung on, staring into the DOT of his helmet, or eyes scrunched shut!!!

Enjoyed our dinner at the Mexican Hat Lodge, with its Swinging Steaks Restaurant, it was entertaining and delicious. Apparently they close for the season this coming weekend. Now in Flagstaff AZ outrunning the southern UT rains, then back up for more miles.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

wow, Real Time reports. Thanks for chimeing in..
I'm already drooling for them steaks at Mex Hat.

Enjoy the rest of your trip !!
And be safe !!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

The road up to Mexican Hat from Monument Valley should not be missed. My signature photo is of my shadow on the sandstone on this stretch and it is this piece of road where Forest Gump stopped his cross-country walk. The landscape has also been featured in many movies. As for Mexican Hat...I would stay at the Mexican Hat Motel. You can get your swingin' steak, drink some brews and just walk back to your room.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been there done that..here's a few pictures from back in 2003.

Pic 1 is the dirt road section on 261, gooseneck,4 corner,and last 2 from rt 95 near Glen Canyon Bridge

Awesome trip, you'll need more time......

Attached Thumbnails Mexican Hat, UT area-picture-013.jpg   Mexican Hat, UT area-picture-021.jpg   Mexican Hat, UT area-picture-046.jpg   Mexican Hat, UT area-picture-044.jpg   Mexican Hat, UT area-picture-134.jpg  

Last edited by katobird; 10-14-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just down there about 3 weeks ago. Don't pass up 163 through Monument Valley. The extra 50 miles is worth it. The Moki Dugway is cool and not as bad as it sounds. Here is a link to my "Road Trip" thread (with road descriptions and photos):

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-new-post.html

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Mexican Hat, UT area