Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need suggestions for Florida trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Someone told me that since I will be in Jacksonville Beach, I should take a trip up to Savannah too. Is there a way to get there along the coast without using I-95? Looking at a map, there doesn't seem to be a route running right along the coast. What is the best route to get to Savannah from Jacksonville Beach?
17 North out of Jax will get you to Savanah, you can expect about three hours. Nice ride, but not along the coast. GA is helmet state so FYI.

Second the recommendation to ride 40 across to from Daytona throught the forest on you way to Cedar Key, great ride. You should do the loop north of Daytona: http://www.daytonachamber.com/enbw/loop.html if you desire. A1A from Jax to Daytona (& beyond) offers an array of places to stop, eat, etc, a senic ride. Snack Jacks south of Flager Beach offers some good food and is on the ocean. You can ride all the way to South Daytona before you have to briefly leave the coast at Ponce Inlet, or you go straight and visit the lighthouse and return if that is your thing.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

My nephew suggested we ride south from Jac Beach along the St. John's River then head over to A1A. What roads are best for riding along the St. John's River?

Which town would be better to stay overnight, Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Old 12-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

If you are going to run down the St Johns, it is a great ride. One of the best in the area. There is a state hiway that follows it south along the eastern shore. the hiway number escapes me but any map will show it, Look for Fruit Cove and sart running south there.. if you are going to do that, look for Blue Spring Park . It is where the manatees go in the winter. Definetely worth a stop...

Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

What about Cocoa Beach? Places to eat and drink during the evening?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Savanah trip, 17 is the way to go. Beautiful ride. Been on 17 from N. Myrtle Beach to Jax. Jax on south, I would use A1A or US1. Wife and I were in St.Aug. last weekend. Rode A1A from Jax to St. Aug. Great ride. Last October, We were at Biketoberfest. On the way home, Took US1 to Jax then 17 to Charlston then back to Columbia. In the very near future, We are plotting a trip from Columbia to Key West. A1A is in that ride. Any way you go, You will have an excellent time. I agree with the NO FREEWAY THING!!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Jay on the panhandle and Cedar Key. But you might wanna try St. Augustine, It's got a lot to see.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Chaz in Florida, since you live in Melbourne (just south of Cocoa Beach), can you tell me where you would stay in Cocoa Beach. Also places you like to eat in Cocoa Beach?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not much help, but here's some data...

A1A from Jax to Daytona is beautiful and calm. I had no traffic issues and thoroughly enjoyed the ride through there. Set the cruise and act like a tourist.

St. Augustine is beautiful.

I ate supper down at a place in Flagler Beach, It's called Blue at Topaz. - Google it and it'll come right up. Right on the beach. Superb food and not terribly expensive either. Sadly, they do not serve scotch, but I believe they have rooms for rent.

There was a place on the corner there in Flagler too...big friendly bar lookin' joint that I wanted to go to, but ran out of time.

Plenty of campgrounds along the way if that's your gig....biker friendly.

Here's some pics I took along the way in July of this year.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cujo.coo...eat=directlink

PS- Take a hockey puck with you, especially if you plan on taking scenic pics near the edge of the road...I bought one while down there, but without it would have had lost opportunities.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

How do you spell Key West? oh, just did spell it. spent 9 days riding Fla last March and KW was nice enough to keep us there for three of them

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for Florida trip