Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sturgis 2010

Going to Sturgis next year & gonna do it the new way....Trailer em! I'm pullin my 5vr & my brothers pulling about 6 bikes in an interstate trailer. We wanna get their quickly & be rested so we get to play at least 5-full days of the event before we head back home to Seattle. We're hoping to fiind a RV park 45-60 minutes out of Sturgis so we're not in the middle of the mayhem but close enough to run back & forth and NOT be a PITA too.
Hoping to pick up advice of all of the different locations to ride to when we're at Sturgis. I've read several threads mentioning Spearfish, The Badlands, & Needles to name a few.
Any help much appreciated.

Clay

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM
softailMamaJama
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we went thi year. when you go down to crazy horse and mount rushmore, head south a little further. there's a great road, i think its called iron mountain road - i'm sure someone on here knows what i mean. its a fun ride, nice and curvy, and lots of tunnels and bridges.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the post.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Custer State Park,

Devil's Tower Wy.

Deadwood

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
madroofer64
Stage III

just started planning our trip to sturgis 2010. first time going,looking for advice

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
madroofer64
Stage III

riding for sure. want to stay at buffallo chip campground

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member

If my wife weren't coming I might stay at the Chip but with her coming, I know a calmer atmosphere will be much appreciated. Looks like (1)+ hr away at the Mt Rushmore KOA, we may find some of that. Keep the suggestions coming please.

Clay

Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

riding again this year. I can't wait!!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 PM
softailMamaJama
Cruiser

there are quieter campgrounds much closer to sturgis, klaybus, if you wanted to be closer. we stayed at day's end, and there's freeway noise. most of the partying at that particular campground happens in the big barn, so you don't much from the actual campground. there's also several campgrounds along the way to deadwood and around the sturgis area in general.
the chip is pretty dirty, and not always in a good way. the port-a-potties are really bad even before the actual rally starts,and there's little to no shade. because of all the dirt, if it rains, it gets really muddy really fast. a sturgis veteran told me that lots of people buy passes to the chip now while they're cheap ($150ish) which gets you into all the concerts/parties, and camp elsewhere with cleaner bathrooms and more shade. just a thought though.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 AM
ArkiKen
Advanced

Stayed at Katmandu Campground. Close to Sturgis. You get to all the rides without going through downtown Sturgis so you avoid the traffic. They provide a free shuttle bus from 6pm till 1am. Only real downside is close to the interstate so alot of traffic noise if you are staying in a tent.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2010