Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Recommended Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Recommended Road Trip

Just wanted to let you know about a great road trip and the some wonderful riding. I would highly recommend these roads to anyone looking to ride out west.

Two buds and I left NW Arkansas on Saturday 09/19/09 and we returned Saturday 09/26/09. In total we rode 3500 miles. There was a 2002 VROD, a 2009 Road King and my 2009 FLHX. On average we road 12 hours a day. The first and last day were all interstate and were a bit boring.

The first 3 nights we rented cabins at various KOA campgrounds. Each cabin contains a full size bed and a bunk bed so it fits 3 adults although the bunk beds lack head room. The thing I like about the cabins is there is heat and AC and showers and after a day of riding it’s great to build a fire and kick back with your beverage of choice which in our case was beer and Jack Daniel’s. The other nice thing about the cabins is that you sort of get the camping experience without having to carry or set up a tent. We brought $10 terry cloth sleeping bag liners with us instead of sleeping bags. They take up allot less room than a sleeping bag and work fine in the cabins.

Saturday 09/19/09 - We left NW Arkansas and took I-540 south to I-40 West. It was a little overcast and in the 60’s. We got caught in a few quick showers West of Oklahoma City and West of Amarillo Texas. We spent night one in at the Tucumcari, NM KOA.

Sunday 09/20/09 - We hopped back on I-40 West to I-25 North to the Million Dollar Highway (I-550). The Million Dollar highway certainly lived up to its name. It is a four lane highway (two lanes North and two lanes South) with very little traffic and wonderful views. We stopped for the night in Durango Co KOA.

Monday 09/21/09 - We had planned to head North up to Ouray Co but when we woke up temps were around 40 degrees and we decided to head south instead. We took Highway 160 out of Durango. Highway 160 is a two lane road with some beautiful scenery and almost no traffic. We headed down 160 until we reached the Four Corners. This is where CO, NM, UT and AZ meet. From there we headed over to Highway 98 and the over to Highway 89. Temps were now in the mid 70’s and sunny. Again no traffic and more great scenery. We continued on to Glendale, Utah where we rented another cabin drank some beer and cooked Hot Dogs.

Tuesday 09/22/09 – Temperature was 30 degrees when we headed up Highway 89 to Bryce Canyon. On the way there we found a nice little diner and had breakfast. After we finished breakfast we rode up to and into Bryce Canyon National Park. Temps had warmed up to around 70 degrees. Again more fantastic sights and great riding. We left Bryce and headed South on Highway 89 through Zion National Park and over to I-15 South. Zion National park was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The scenery was SPECTACULAR!!!!! If you are ever in that part of the country make sure you go to ZION. We headed south on I-15. There was one section where we road through the canyons on I-15 that was pretty cool. Quite a few twists and turns as you descend in elevation. Temps were now getting up into the upper 80’s and it was getting dark. Riding I-15 a night was pretty cool. Everything is dark and then you crest the hills and the lights of Las Vegas appear out of nowhere. We rode into Vegas around 21:00 hours. We got a room had dinner gambled a bit and called it a night.

Wednesday 09/23/09 – Left Las Vegas heading South on I-15 into Cali. We got off around the second exit and rode through the Mojave Dessert preserve. Temps were in the lower 70’s and sunny. As the morning went on temps continued to climb. By the time we got back to I-40 it was HOT!!!!! Temps were in the mid 90’s. As we continued on I-40 East it got HOTTER!!!!! Temps were around 105 (estimate). Not sure why but my bike ran like CRAP. It felt down on power and would ping under load. We continued on until Williams Arizona where we stopped for the night. My one buddy on the VROD continued on since it was his one year wedding anniversary on Saturday ad he had to make it back to Atlanta or else he was going to be I deep doo-doo. The ride through the Mojave Dessert was one of my favorite of the entire trip. Two lane road with almost no other cars for miles and miles.

Thursday 09/24/09 - Temps were in the mid 40’s. We headed north on Highway 64 to the Grand Canyon. By the time we got to the canyon temps were in the lower 70’s. We rode through the canyon to the East Rim headed back out on 64 and back to I-40 east. While the Grand Canyon was certainly grand, it did not compare to Zion National park, As we headed down I-40 I watched a Cadillac SUV fight for position with an 18 wheeler and loose. The Cadi ended up plowing through a half dozen wooden barriers send would flying about 15 feet to the air.

Friday 09/25/09 and Saturday 09/26/09 headed east on I-40 and back to Arkansas.

All I all it was a fantastic trip and I would highly recommend it to all.

My bike is set up with a Mustang Solo, a Motherwell Luggage Gunfihter Luggage Rack and a small bag I got on Ebay ($60). I packed light but had more than enough room for all my stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Recommended Road Trip-img_1412-copy.jpg   Recommended Road Trip-arizona001.jpg   Recommended Road Trip-bryce-001.jpg   Recommended Road Trip-zion-001.jpg   Recommended Road Trip-mojave001.jpg  

Last edited by SC_Compact; 10-04-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
Sunday 09/20/09 - We hopped back on I-40 West to I-25 North to the Million Dollar Highway (I-550). The Million Dollar highway certainly lived up to its name. It is a four lane highway (two lanes North and two lanes South) with very little traffic and wonderful views. We stopped for the night in Durango Co KOA.
The Million Dollar Highway I remember riding years ago is more like described on the Canyon Chasers website.
http://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/results.php?id=32

The 4-B rating was enough to give me a high pucker factor. If you miss a curve on the run from Ouray to Silverton, you can say adios to your bike and kiss your butt goodbye.

This is a hot-link to a photo on the Wikipedia website. It is one of the tamer portions of the road (very straight).

I forgot to mention that if you miss a curve going northbound, you do a face plant into a rock cliff. No margin for error. But I don't have to say that. Just look at the photo.

Last edited by SailorDon; 10-04-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM
2weelr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sailordon,
I went thruoght that stretch of road southbound this past July.
If I could have I'd have turned around and gone back, but no
room to turn around, what with traffic and narrow road. Just
had to suck it up and go, with my wife on the back leaning over
taking pictures! Scary. Hard to explain to people what it's like.
That picture tells it all!

2weelr

Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2weelr
....my wife on the back leaning over
taking pictures!
Your wife must have nerves of steel and trusts your motorcycle skills to the max. Taking photos while riding passenger on a motorcycle on the Million Dollar Highway. WOW! That's what I call a good passenger. I hope she didn't upset the balance of your bike as she leaned over to take the pictures.

I found this video clip on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZGdDTIUvfQ

Go direct to the good part starting at the 3:00 minute mark.
It looks like it was taken with a helmet cam. When I made this run in 2005, I was fortunate that I didn't encounter much car traffic, and no 18 wheelers at all. The video clip shows how the cars and trucks can really take the fun out of the experience.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great trip .I did Seattle to La and back up through Uath in August.
Zion and Bryce Canyon are a must see. I just wished I had more time to explore. I will be going back Utah was a pleasant surprise full of natural wonder and great rideing

Last edited by skydrifter; 10-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

There is so much beauty all across our great nation. I would love to take a rid all the way round, in one big trip.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
sidecar
Road Warrior

sounds like a good trip. I live in Bloomfield NM so I have been able to go to most of the placves you went. I will have to say thar Zion and Bryce are a must see.You missed a good ride not going to Silverton and Ouray.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 AM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Thanks for sharing. Sounded like an awesome time.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:27 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer

Originally Posted by SailorDon
The Million Dollar Highway I remember riding years ago is more like described on the Canyon Chasers website.
http://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/results.php?id=32

The 4-B rating was enough to give me a high pucker factor. If you miss a curve on the run from Ouray to Silverton, you can say adios to your bike and kiss your butt goodbye.

This is a hot-link to a photo on the Wikipedia website. It is one of the tamer portions of the road (very straight).

I forgot to mention that if you miss a curve going northbound, you do a face plant into a rock cliff. No margin for error. But I don't have to say that. Just look at the photo.
That shot gave me an instant pucker

I thought,I don't know if I need to travel that road!

My wife was looking over my shoulder and said "I have some pics like that from our last trip".................I guess I was focused on the road and not the scenery..............good thing!

I think I need to find some time to check out all of the 900+ pics that she took from the back of the bike