Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas Hill Country or Big Bend

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Texas Hill Country or Big Bend

I was thinking about a fall ride down to Texas and was wondering what the best ride would be. The Hill Country area or Big Bend?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM
rokdoctor
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The hill country has the best curves in the state, and if you take your time, could be a full 3 days of riding.

Big Bend, however, is a bunch of straight road with stunning views and miles of solitude.

Guess it depends what youre after. I generally hit the high points of the hill country on my way out to Big Bend. It only adds a day or so.

RokDoctor

Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rokdoctor
The hill country has the best curves in the state, and if you take your time, could be a full 3 days of riding.

Big Bend, however, is a bunch of straight road with stunning views and miles of solitude.

Guess it depends what youre after. I generally hit the high points of the hill country on my way out to Big Bend. It only adds a day or so.

RokDoctor
What are the high points of the Hill Country?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This time of year I would only ride the Hill Country during the week. Big Bend is desolate anytime of the year. if you get on the right roads around Big Bend there are some nice twisties but mostly just straight and beautiful. Plan fuel stops carefully, it can be a long way between civilization.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
This time of year I would only ride the Hill Country during the week. Big Bend is desolate anytime of the year. if you get on the right roads around Big Bend there are some nice twisties but mostly just straight and beautiful. Plan fuel stops carefully, it can be a long way between civilization.
I get to ride the twisties often enough so that's not a major concern to me. Which area is the most interesting to visit as far as scenery, neat little towns and historical sites goes?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
I get to ride the twisties often enough so that's not a major concern to me. Which area is the most interesting to visit as far as scenery, neat little towns and historical sites goes?
Like others have said, Big Bend is beautiful, but there are major stretches with nothing but open country. It's not a trip to take without proper planning, but well worthwhile if you plan your gas stops, and take enough liquids to keep you hydrated.

If you're looking to ride a couple of hours, then stop somewhere and look around, then ride again until you get tired, I'd recommend the Hill Country. The towns are much closer together, and you're never more than an hour or so away from civilization. Here's a great site with lots of good info.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
bikers75
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Do the hill country

Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hill country...fredericksburg, llano. leakey, luekenbach...good food and cold beer. can't beat it...when we leaving???

p.s. last weekend in october thru first weekend in november is the wurstfest in new braunfels...an institution in c. texas...and a blast.....might be worth consideration too...ride safe

Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 AM
lunchboxifs
Stage IV

Hill country is really great riding. I would recomend it for the neat little towns like lukenbach. Lots of cool history around that area.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
lunchboxifs
Stage IV

I would definently do the hill country. Fun riding, beautiful country in the fall. The small town historical thing goes with that country to. Visit lukenbach if you go neat town.

Quick Reply: Texas Hill Country or Big Bend