Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas Hill Country or Big Bend

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rode through the hill country last weekend. We stayed in Kerrville and rode the 3 twisted sisters and some other great roads. The weather was awesome and the views can't be beat. I have never been to Big Bend, but you wont be dissapointed in the hill country. This weekend is the Oktoberfest in Fredericksburg, but there are lots of cool little towns to check out.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Having done both being here is South Central Texas my vote goes to Big Bend. I've been there twice, the last time (and first time on a Harley) in April with my HOG chapter. We stayed in Alpine which is about 60 miles or so from Big Bend. Great little town and if you decide to stay there I highly suggest the Alpine Inn Best Western very biker friendly hotel run by a great bunch of people.

Yes the trip to the park is a little long but it's broken up with some nice sweepers to keep you entertained. The towns of Marfa, Presidio, Marathon, Lajitas andTeralingua are nice also and will be your fuel stops. There are also a couple of gas stations located inside the park as well.

If you stay in Alpine head down 90 through Marfa down 67 to Pesidio then take Ranch Road 170 also known as river road to Lajitas then to Teralinqua for one great ride.

Riding through the park itself is awesome highly recommend a ride up to the Chisos Mountains Lodge great views and a decent restaurant to have lunch or dinner.

There's also Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory to check out.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are good choices. I go at several times a year if not more to the hill country and at least twice a year to Big Bend. If you're in Oklahoma don't take I35 unless you just love traffic. Just my opinion, but I'd take Hwy 281 which will take you through some nice smaller cities. Ride south to Marble Falls, then before Johnson City do Willow City loop, then Lukenbach, Fredericksburg (great beer), then south to Kerrivlle and take old Hwy 16 to Medina then go west to Vanderpool (great motorcycle museum) then do the three sisters (Hwy 335, 336, 337) go to Camp Wood (Charles Lindberg crashed his plane there and spent a couple of weeks there waiting for parts) then to Rocksprings and take Hwy 674 (nice isolated road) south to Bracketville (where John Wayne filmed the Alamo). Now go west on 90 to Del Rio then Langtry (TxDot has a visitor's center there at the Judge Roy Bean "Law West of the Pecos") then on to Sanderson, then Marathon stay at the Gage Hotel. Then go south about 80 miles (about 40 the the park entrance and another 40 to park headquarters) go to the Chisos Basin which is high up (high for Texas) and camp out or just go eat at the resturant, then go to the Santa Elena canyon which is about 32 miles from the Chisos Basin. Leave park on west side and come out at Study Butte (82 miles south of Alpine), but don't go north until you ride river road between Lajatias and Persidio (lots of twists as it hugs the Rio Grande River--ride it back the same way and it rides totally different) then go north to Alpine stay at Best Western (new). Then go west to Fort Davis for a little of the Davis Mountains (Hwy 166 in neat). Go north to Balamorhea (they have a state park w/natural spring pools there) then you'd better get home. Go north to Pecos (nothing there, but IH20 which goes NE back towards Okalahoma w/80mph limits). That trip is few miles so you may want to cut some things out, but it's one you'll remember for a lifetime. If you only do hill country there are small cities that you need to see like Concan, Leaky, Bandera, Hunt, etc.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+2
I did that same ride last Spring but in a little different order.
3,300 miles of smiles.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd do both, if you're in the neighborhood. I did last year. I'm in Colorado so I'm not easily impressed, but he Hill Country is awesome. Big Bend is breathtaking, it's so vast it puts things into perspective, at least it did for me. I'd heard about the Hill Country for years but thought just hills, I have mountains. Fortunatly I stumbled on it on a trip to San Antonio. I thought all of Texas was like Amarillo. It ain't. Great scenery and friendly people too. I'm going back.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
harry.b
Tourer

You will enjoy the texas hill country. There are lots of switch backs that overlook large valleys. Some of the twisties have a pucker factor too. At least for me. If you like to stop alot, then the hill country may be for you. There are lots of little towns and wineries that you can stop in and relax for a while. The hill country is kind of touristy and the folks are for the most part, very motorcycle friendly. There are lots of motorcycles in that area on the weekends. I have never been to big bend, but plan on going one day. Big bend suggests solitude to me.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rapz
Both are good choices. I go at several times a year if not more to the hill country and at least twice a year to Big Bend. If you're in Oklahoma don't take I35 unless you just love traffic. Just my opinion, but I'd take Hwy 281 which will take you through some nice smaller cities. Ride south to Marble Falls, then before Johnson City do Willow City loop, then Lukenbach, Fredericksburg (great beer), then south to Kerrivlle and take old Hwy 16 to Medina then go west to Vanderpool (great motorcycle museum) then do the three sisters (Hwy 335, 336, 337) go to Camp Wood (Charles Lindberg crashed his plane there and spent a couple of weeks there waiting for parts) then to Rocksprings and take Hwy 674 (nice isolated road) south to Bracketville (where John Wayne filmed the Alamo). Now go west on 90 to Del Rio then Langtry (TxDot has a visitor's center there at the Judge Roy Bean "Law West of the Pecos") then on to Sanderson, then Marathon stay at the Gage Hotel. Then go south about 80 miles (about 40 the the park entrance and another 40 to park headquarters) go to the Chisos Basin which is high up (high for Texas) and camp out or just go eat at the resturant, then go to the Santa Elena canyon which is about 32 miles from the Chisos Basin. Leave park on west side and come out at Study Butte (82 miles south of Alpine), but don't go north until you ride river road between Lajatias and Persidio (lots of twists as it hugs the Rio Grande River--ride it back the same way and it rides totally different) then go north to Alpine stay at Best Western (new). Then go west to Fort Davis for a little of the Davis Mountains (Hwy 166 in neat). Go north to Balamorhea (they have a state park w/natural spring pools there) then you'd better get home. Go north to Pecos (nothing there, but IH20 which goes NE back towards Okalahoma w/80mph limits). That trip is few miles so you may want to cut some things out, but it's one you'll remember for a lifetime. If you only do hill country there are small cities that you need to see like Concan, Leaky, Bandera, Hunt, etc.
Sweet post. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

I spent four days riding in the Hill Country in September and covered 1200 miles; it's an amazing place, nice twisties and several places with long sweet sweepers. The scenary is varied and the roads are amazing. The ranches there are full of exotic animals, way too cool.

We stayed at a place in Leakey, D'Rose Inn - its a restored '30s era motorcourt that's "bikers only". There are rooms and cabins, all nice, very clean and resonably priced. The owner Deb Rose is a biker and delivers on everything she promises. I'll definately return.

http://www.droseinn.com

Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This was first week of June...was there last weekend and it is green now but water is WAY down in the Frio, Nueces etc...Guadalupe is OK due to dams but moving slow. Also tried 1340 and is better solution from 41 instead of going to 27 to return to Kerrville...nice road and quicker too. Much like 39.

Planning on 2-3 days early November...long poor (flat, straight) ride from Houston but worth it when you get out of San Antonio.

The video is 2 parts...blue boxes with arrow..have no idea what two "extra" boxes are. Was posted in video section in June already but figured you might want a preview to help decision process.. John

Last edited by flibuoy; 10-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.