Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride to "The Rock" and Lime Creek Rd.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride to "The Rock" and Lime Creek Rd.

Another weekend, another day trip.

2 Dyna Street Bob's day trip - Houston to Lime Creek Rd. and back.
427 miles. 13 hours.

Last week, e.honda had posted to this forum about doing a ride to San Marcos for the TX State Hog rally. I suggested Lime Creek Rd., sort of in the same direction from Houston, about the same distance and a chance of more riding and less "rallying". Don't get me wrong. Rallys are OK, but to me it's the ride that is the real thing.

Saturday morning. Pre-dawn departure. Destination Lime Creek Rd.

Lime Creek Road has got to be the best motorcycling road within 200 miles of Houston. 17.5 miles of curves with a few ups and downs. Not exactly "Tail of the Dragon", but lots of fun for a flatlander like me.

I stopped in Montgomery which we used as a meeting place to start the ride to Lime Creek Rd. The local Model A club was gathering at the Montgomery McDonalds for a ride to Hempstead. Neat cars.

We rode out TX State Hwy 105 going west through Navasota, to William Penn Road. That's where we got into the back roads (and fog). We rode Scenic FM 390 to Independence and stopped at the old Baylor University historical site. This would be the administration building. Anyone care to sign up for class?

On the other side of the road is the remains of the women's dormitory, but we decided not to check it out. (No photos.) We figured it was just a bunch of fossils.

This park is on a hill, so the fog wasn't very thick. Back on the road, it was difficult to get into the rhythm of the curves. It is very hard to line up for a curve when you can't see 100 feet ahead because of fog.

We stopped in the town of Round Rock to gas up, get lunch and see the "famous" rock for which Round Rock is supposedly named. We searched several parks. About 2 hours later we found the dam (and the round rock below it).

Photo of one of a multitude of parks. (No rock.)

Found the dam. Too bad that the photos don't give the full picture. You can see the foam, but you don't get the enjoyable wiff of "Eau de Sew-aj"

And finally found the dam rock. That's me 'smiling' for the photo op. It was 2 p.m. and I was ready to pass out from malnutrition. Next stop was for lunch. Tex-Mex in Cedar Park.

We started the ride on Lime Creek Rd. at 2:30 p.m. The north end has been recently resurfaced and there is some loose gravel. I followed. e.honda took the curves like there was no gravel. I figured if he could do it, so could I. It gave me a high pucker factor, and I lagged behind, but we made it through OK, even with a sighting of the local law enforcement (who discourge bikers from running Lime Creek Rd. at anything over 30 mph.)

It's hard to take photos while on the best parts of the road. Towards the southern end near FM 620, we pulled over for a photo op.

We rode south on Hwy 183 to Hwy 290 and then back east towards Elgin. We picked up FM 696 up to Lexington. From there we retraced our track back to Montgomery with a dam stop at Lake Somerville. (We parked on the top of the dam for a photo op.)

e.honda took photos at the Lake Sommerville dam. I hope he posts them since I didn't take any photos there.

It was a great ride even though I ended up with butt fatigue at the end of the day. My Dyna Street Bob is a hoot in the curves, but it doesn't have the touring comfort of my Road King.

Last edited by SailorDon; 09-27-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling, add map
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
e.honda
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent ride! Here's my contribution in color.

First pic is that dam rock that took half the day to find and wasn't even marked when we found it. haha

Second pic is of the end of Lime Creek, you've already seen this one, but it was the best part of the trip.

First shot on the dam at Sommerville.

Second Sommerville.

Last but not least is the sunsetting in my front yard. Prettiest thing I saw all day after staring at the largely varied landscaping we passed through throughout the day...was the sunset on Lake Conroe.

Now I have raccoon eyes and a farmer's tan, and everyone laughed at me when I got home with bugs and dirt all over my face. I enjoyed it!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by e.honda
First pic is that dam rock that took half the day to find and wasn't even marked when we found it. haha
I agree we spent a lot of time searching for the round rock. We should have consulted Wikipedia first. It gives more details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Rock,_Texas

I'm glad we did the ride yesterday instead of today. It wasn't so hot. It's already over 92 degrees this morning and Houston hasn't reached the "high of the day". I'm working up a sweat getting my mufflers re-aligned after having done a somewhat careless (unaligned) re-install after drilling relief holes in the baffle plates about 3 weeks ago. Runs OK. Just looks like crap.

In hindsight, I wish we had stopped to take a photo of the ramshackle trail ride we passed going north on FM 696 toward Lexington on the ride home. Was that a golf cart in the lead? More likely a Quadrunner or something like that. I'm glad they didn't leave any horse apples on the road. I'd hate to skid and go down on one of those.

Last edited by SailorDon; 09-27-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-27-2009, 03:14 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing your ride and pics! Sounds like you guys had a good time.
Any pics of the Tex-Mex cuisine?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

lived in round rock in 92 and 93. great to see the pics

Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
e.honda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SailorDon
I ...

In hindsight, I wish we had stopped to take a photo of the ramshackle trail ride we passed going north on FM 696 toward Lexington on the ride home. Was that a golf cart in the lead? More likely a Quadrunner or something like that. I'm glad they didn't leave any horse apples on the road. I'd hate to skid and go down on one of those.
That was a little weird, but I'm used to seeing unusual things out in the country. What about the dude who all he could say was, "They call me Dawg..."

Originally Posted by micahpop
Thanks for sharing your ride and pics! Sounds like you guys had a good time.
It was just some good ol Taco Cabana. Can never go wrong with that place.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by micahpop

Is this what you are looking for?

Looks good but you won't find it at Taco Yum-Yum.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by e.honda
What about the dude who all he could say was, "They call me Dawg..."
That was in Lexington as I recall. Dawg also informed us he rode Lime Creek Rd. every weekend.

It could be, but it sure didn't look that way.

Here is a photo of the thriving metropolis of Lexington from Google Maps Street.

Last edited by SailorDon; 09-29-2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Add photo