Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Texas Park Road 1 - Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas Park Road 1 - Day Trip

Another weekend, another day trip.

This Sunday's adventure was back roads from Houston to Bastrop and back.

Here's the ride:

Here's the detail of the Bastrop end of the ride. That is, Park Road #1 between Buescher and Bastrop State Parks.

If you enter via KLBJ Rd., you can avoid the $4.00 per person entrance fee. Free Ride!

The Houston start of the ride could have gotten ugly. Stopped at local gas station to fill up for start of ride. My credit card didn't work in the pump. Attendant takes my card, looks at it and says my card is no good, but gives it back to me. That attendant didn't know s*** from Shinola. Stopped at the next gas station down the road and my credit card worked perfectly.

They are building a new subdivision by Fry Rd. and House-Hall Rd. The names don't match and the old House-Hall Rd. has been torn up and relocated (and renamed). But with a little bit of perseverence and some back tracking, we were able to get through to the continuation of the original House-Hall Rd.

Of particular note is a short challenging back road (paved) just east of Hwy 77 called Post Oak Rd. Lots of 90 degree turns.

Ready to ride 7:45 a.m.

At scenic overlook at southern end of Park Road #1.

At Bastrop Commons Park. Old bridge (pedestrians, bicycles only) in background. New bridge is hidden behind it.

Pedestrian path to the bridge. My neighbor was riding with me and patiently waiting for me to take photographs.

The rest of the ride was driving home to Houston on Hwy 71 and Hwy 290.

Just twist the throttle to 75 and 80 mph or you will get run over by the impatient cars and trucks.

Last edited by SailorDon; 09-21-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: fix photos.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
ridzalot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good report. Glad everything worked out. Great pitures also.