Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

A video from the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A video from the Tail of the Dragon

I've got a video here that my OL took while we were riding on the Dragon last month. I screwed-up on one of the corners (which you'll see), but luckily nobody was coming from the other way. I actually SEE more of the Dragon by watching the video as I was too busy concentrating when I was on it to pay much attention to the surroundings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkNzwMitLgY

Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic footage, man! Thanks much for posting it. My compliments to your OL for keeping the camera steady during the ride (and not beating you with the camera when you came in wide on that turn). Looks like a helluva ride and something I'll have to make time for one of these days.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 172 Likes on 76 Posts

Do yourself, wife and others a great service, consider staying off the "Dragon" and others like it until your riding skills improve.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appears you spent alot of time left of center. Could have been a bad situation on the Dragon.....

Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I was left of center a lot, but all but one of those times was intentional. I was able to see ahead and see that no cars were coming so I was just setting myself up to make the corners a little easier (cheating). As to the staying off the Tail until my "skills have improved", just where are they supposed to get improved if not in an environment like this? I don't think you could set up cones in a parking lot to practice this stuff at 30 MPH. In any event, I'm the one who posted the video, so I gave everyone the right to critique it/me/my riding skills. Point noted.

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 09-16-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good video. thanks for sharing. I hope to make it there soon. Love the twistees

Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Yes, I was left of center a lot, but all but one of those times was intentional. I was able to see ahead and see that no cars were coming so I was just setting myself up to make the corners a little easier (cheating). As to the staying off the Tail until my "skills have improved", just where are they supposed to get improved if not in an environment like this? I don't think you could set up cones in a parking lot to practice this stuff at 30 MPH. In any event, I'm the one who posted the video, so I gave everyone the right to critique it/me/my riding skills. Point noted.
Great video! I rode the Dragon first time in July, had a blast, and like you I was intentionally left of center a few times when I could clearly see ahead. Take heed to the cautionary notes, but also consider the source of those who tell you to stay off the Dragon -- they probably have not/will not ever ride it! Those who do need to ride within their skills and stay alert.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
Love the Dragon ! yes you can do exactly as you say about the parking lot practice. I know, because I do it myself. You can practice getting your beast leaned over in a turn, a decreasing radius turn, transitions to turn, turning from one side right on over to the other side, practice altering your butt placement on the seat, varying your throttle while in turns and accelerating out of turns, braking before turning, trail braking, the list is nearly endless. If you practice diligently you can increase greatly your confidence in maneuvering your machine on the highway, particularly highway 129.
Love pics and vids of that road. (I cross the line too on occasion just as you note your reason, but be aware the LEO's will ticket at the Gap if they see it)

Last edited by Centerline; 09-16-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM
streetg7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the video....few twisties around here...I ride them...cratique my riding..only way I know of to get me where I want to be

Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 172 Likes on 76 Posts

My main response is to "PPBART". I have been to Deal's Gap area probably 10 times and ridden US 129 many, many times. I, also on each of those trips have ridden the area roads in NC, TN, and north Georgia. Your statement of “probably have not/will not ever ride it" doesn't apply to me. (Have 66k miles on my ’05 H-D Deuce in 53 months) I am fortunate that I live in the great state of North Carolina and have all of the great roads in this and the connecting states. Jeffgeorgalas I so very much respect your response. My sole reason for my original comment was to keep you and others safe. I agree with centerline's comments this will help greatly with slow speed ability and teach a lot about your motorcycle. When riding on any two-lane road try this. Split your lane in half and ride only on the right side of the lane this is very difficult to do for any rider. Some people have phobias off running off the road or harder to turn left or turn right or for whatever reason. Anyone and I mean anyone can ride in the right half of their lane done slowly. As one increase their speed is where it becomes more difficult, even increments of a couple miles per hour. Once you become skilled at staying in the right half of the lane your ride become much safer because on some roads such as the "Dragon" somebody (oncoming) with fewer skills on a car or motorcycle will cross over in your lane and there is the tragedy. I wish you well and only trying to be of help.

Quick Reply: A video from the Tail of the Dragon