Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

A video from the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup.

http://www.moonshinephoto.com/
http://www.us129photos.com/
http://www.zeefoto.com/
http://www.killboy.com/

If you rode the dragon during daylight hours, chances are that more than 1 of these outfits got a shot or 8 of you.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, Thanks for sharing! Great video...that road is a very memorable experience that everyone should do just once in their lives!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser

Great video! I’ve been there more times than I can count. The Dragon is something to be respected; one of those things where one little mistake can result in major catastrophe. I’ve seen many, many accidents in the many times I’ve been there. You would think it would be the crotch rocket guys, but it’s mostly the big cruisers. Too much bike + too much speed + too little experience. BANG! – YOU’RE DOA!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
jasle
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm a long time rider...but short time harley owner. I can attest that riding a harley through the twisties is quite a bit harder than most any bike I've had. Probably only my water buffalo was harder to turn...I love my harley but brakes and lack of ground clearance make it not my choice for flying through the switchbacks. I'd love to do do the Dragon run...slowly. Practice does help and riders courses are worth their weight in gold...Even picking up Keith Codes twist of the wrist series can help even if you not roadracing. the concepts are the same.

Jeff...what the guy was alluding to about your riding attire is lack of protective gear. When riding sporting roads your chance of falling over increases. Wearing a cutoff shirt and no gloves will plain hurt. Anyone that has lowsided, or high sided will tell you your hands almost always hit first...That being said gloves go a LONG way to protecting those. I cannot honestly say I wear my jacket 100% of the time...but about 90% Even when commuting in Phoenix in 116deg weather I work a full armored jacket with gloves...To each his own I guess but when riding sporting type roads I choose to dress for the crash, just in case. But hey My dad won't wear a helmet for anything and my father in law died not wearing a helmet so I understand both sides of the spectrum...Have fun and stay safe.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the vid. Lets me know I ain't missing a thing by not riding the Dragon. I can go any direction from my house and get the same kind of road with less traffic and fewer idiots to deal with.

Attached Thumbnails A video from the Tail of the Dragon-p1010004.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Thanks for the vid. Lets me know I ain't missing a thing by not riding the Dragon. I can go any direction from my house and get the same kind of road with less traffic and fewer idiots to deal with.
Albeit minus the professional photographers.

I rode literally around 1000 miles of super-twistie, elevation changing, scenic roads last month and for some reason the Dragon was different to me. It was easy to find twistie roads, but very few were in as good of condition (smooth, predictable surface) or as clean (rock free) as the Dragon. That and all of the other 2-wheeled comaraderie made it a little more of a unique experience for me.

The traffic does take away from the experience though. Ride it on weekdays and earlier in the day for less traffic.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Pops
Road Captain

Thanks for the post along with the video! I am glad that you and the missus are safe and enjoyed the ride! After reading the many comments initially I was a little taken back but as I continued to read through them it became obvious that most of them really cared about another rider and his wife. Oh I forgot to mention we don't have a road here in Alaska like that. Thanks again for the video....

Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 AM
LarryV
Novice

Nice video. Thanks for sharing it. I've ridden the Dragon 3 times and that's enough for me. It curves are so many and so tight, I can't get into a rythmn and end up riding too slow or too fast and scaring crap out of myself. I prefer Highway 28 South from Deals Gap and on up to Highlands, NC. Other than the Blue Ridge Parkway, Hwy 28 from Franklin to Highlands is my favorite road. Unbelievable views, waterfalls, nice sweeping curves and deep valleys capped off by the beautiful town of Highlands.