Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to the Dragon/BRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
tazer1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heading to the Dragon/BRP

I'm planning to ride the dragon in mid October, but not sure about the weather this time of year. Will it be too cold to camp at night? I'll be there for a week, and would like to stay at a few bike friendly campgrounds, but not if I need to carry a load of blankets.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Mid-October in the mountains is probably going to be cold, or at least very cool, so you'll want warm riding clothes and if camping a good sleeping bag. The weather is quite variable from week to week (even day to day) at that time of year, but leans more toward the colder temps of winter than the warmer temps of fall. Last year about that time, morning lows were around 30 degrees during sunny high-pressure days with highs in the high 50's. But it can be colder; and warmer.

It's my favorite time of the year in the mountains, but usually requires more gear and clothing than earlier in the fall.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to the smokeys twice a year. But during that time it would most likely be cold. I usually go in late Sept. when I want to go just to ride. Bring a lot of warm cloths and maybe look into a hotel or something at night because it can get really cold.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Do a search for the history of weather in october in yancey or mitchell county in NC and you can some what have a better idea of weather. It will be cooler for sure but also typical drier so 30 with a good coat like a tourmaster with liner youcan ride with just a t shirt under it. Try to search carolinamcevents OR carolinamotorcycleevents and you should find every campground in the mountians and everthing else you did and didn't want to know about carolina's in the link's section.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tazer1
I'm planning to ride the dragon in mid October, but not sure about the weather this time of year. Will it be too cold to camp at night? I'll be there for a week, and would like to stay at a few bike friendly campgrounds, but not if I need to carry a load of blankets.
The most motorcycle friendly campground in the area is the KickStand Lodge on Hwy 28 in Stecoah N.C. Super friendly folks and very clean. They have extra blankets and cheap camping cabins (about 6' x 7') They might even have an extra space heater to plug in one of their camping spots that has power available.

Give Mo a call at the KickStand Lodge. Google it.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Here is a copy of a write-up that I did for the local HOG chapter newsletter of motorcycle only campgrounds near the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap.
The rules for the motorcycle resorts are that you must be either riding or pulling a motorcycle in order to stay there. First of all is a check of the newly opened Cherohala Motorcycle Resort (CMR). Approximately 4 miles before you get to Tellico Plains, turn on SR315S for approximately 3/4 mile to the CMR. The CMR is located on a beautiful piece of property with a creek running along the campsites on the western edge of the Cherohala Skyway (CS) and has been open less than 1 year. The CMR has a covered pavilion with patio furniture for relaxing with friends and other bikers. There is a small camp store with snacks and drinks, washer/dryer, and kitchen available for guest use. The CMR has a clean bathhouse with three private bathrooms and a bike wash. Tent camping is available along the creek, RV camping with hookups, and three small air-conditioned camp cabins suitable for 1-3 people and includes linens and towels. Tent kits were also available for rent if you want to travel light. A hot tub was being installed for after hour relaxation. The owners of the resort lives onsite and was extremely friendly and helpful. The prices were extremely reasonable (from $10 for tent camping to $35 night for the cabins). For those not wanting to cook, Tellico Plains is a short 4 mile ride and has several restaurants and fast food available. For more info, see their website at www.cycleresort.com or call 423-253-6544.

After an enjoyable 45 minutes at the CMR relaxing and talking to other biker guests and the owners, on to the CS, which is SR 165 in TN and SR 143 in NC for some mile high excitement. I also stopped off at the Indian Boundary National Campground, which is about half way up the CS on the TN side. This is a nice National Park Service operated campground with a huge lake, but way too crowded for me. There were too many campers and RVs and kids running around, so back onto the CS up to 5200 feet (brrrrr it is cold up here) and back down into Robbinsville, NC.
Once in Robbinsville, I wanted to check out the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge (IML) and the Kickstand Lodge (KL), both which are located nearby in Stecoah, NC and been in operation for only 1 year. Leaving Robbinsville, stay on SR 143 for 9 miles to SR 28. Turn right on SR 28 for 2 miles and KL is on the left. KL also is located on a beautiful wooded piece of property with a creek running along the backside. It also has a covered pavilion, a camp store, and grills available for guest use. All of the campsites are located along the creek and with all the large trees; it is easy to locate a nice shady spot for your campsite. Tent camping is $15. You can also rent a tent kit at KL. For those that prefer not to tent camp, KL has a bunk house (no AC) that can hold up to 5 people ($15 person) or small cabins (no AC) that rent for $40. RV sites are also available with power only. KL has a large bathhouse that was absolutely clean and spotless. The grounds were extremely nice and landscaped with plants and lawn chairs sitting around under the trees. The owners must have a green thumb, and lives onsite and was extremely friendly and helpful. If you don’t want to cook or eat snacks, Tooties Restaurant is within walking distance and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I had a very enjoyable 45 minute stay at KL talking with the owner and eating an ice cream relaxing in a chair under a huge oak tree. For more info, see their website at kickstandlodge.com or call at 828-479-6069.

Leaving KL on SR28W, immediately turn right at Tooties Restaurant on Lower Stecoah Road, following the signs to IML (approximately 1 mile). Watch out for the quick left turn and down the driveway to IML. I am not sure why the IML and KL are both gravel driveways!! The IML was the most crowded of the other two and the largest. You are first greeted at the huge dining hall and recreation center, which is equipped with pool tables, dining hall and restaurant with home-cooked meals, rocking chairs, huge screen TV, wireless internet, fireplace, laundry, and big porches. Covered bike parking and unloading ramp is available. There is also a creek running through the property. Tent camping is available along the creek for $15. RV sites with full hookups are also available. At IML, there are a bunkhouse ($18 person) and cabins with baths (from $55-80). None of the cabins or recreation center is air conditioned. There is a large centrally located bathhouse, but was not as clean as KL or CMR, probably due to the larger number of campers onsite. The tent campsites in my opinion were not very good, many out in the hot sun or too many squeezed in a small area. For more info, see their website at www.ironhorsenc.com or call 828-479-3864.

Both the IML and the KL are convenient to some of best riding around: 22 miles from the Cherohala Skyway, 23 miles from Deals Gap, 30 miles from Cherokee, 33 miles from Blue Ridge Parkway, or 35 miles from the Foothills Parkway. Either would provide for a great base camp to really get out and explore some great riding locations. Jerry

Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM
tazer1
Advanced

Thanks for the info, looks like I need to prepare for some cooler weather.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 AM
LRS
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice riding in oct. Look out for deer, squids, leaflookers, and da's. Also I was on the dragon in june and a few locals told me to watch my butt on the dragon.They say the Robbinsville pd has purchased 2 kawasaki z11's and they are unmarked and they are trying to pay for them in a hurry...Cold at nite in oct.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

We left Raleigh NC, under clear skies, and mid-80s in Oct 2006. We were facing a chance of passing sprinkles, and we wanted to get through them. Sprinkles began just east of Pittsboro, and became a steady rain. We stopped in Siler City, to wait them out... but the rain kept coming down. another stop in Mt Pleasant, and we finally rode out from under the rain, , on the west side of Charlotte. Continued on towards Robbinsville, and arrived at IRONHORSE.
Woke up the next morning to freezing tems, and the high for the day turned out to be 41. Killboy even bagged it, that day.
Weather is anyone's guess....carry 4 season's worth of gear, as I've used winter gear, in May, June,,Sept, and OCT, as well as spring/fall gear

Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

Ain't it great up here in the fall and spring? Never know what will happen tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Heading to the Dragon/BRP