Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Deals Gap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Calico Jack
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deals Gap

I am planning a solo trip to ride the Dragon this weekend 09-11-09 - 09-13-09, I plan to leave out on the 11th (my birthday) at approx 7am. I've done lots of research on the area but this will be my first solo trip and first time on the Dragon.

I'm looking for any tips on stuff like... what to do, where to visit, and must see's. I'm well aware to be carefull while riding so please no "slow down and wear your helmet" posts.

As far as gear goes, I'm lightly packed...clothes,rain gear, and tool kit. Of course my FF, jacket, and gloves for the trip. I will also bring along my camera so I can document the trip and should have lots of pics to post when I return on Sunday.

P.S. if anyone is in the area and wants to meet up to ride just let me know! like I said I'll be solo so having a guide would not be bad at all.

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser

I was up that way recently in the cage and bought a series of motorcycle tour books by Hawk Hagebak...Motorcyle Adventures 1, 2, and 3. Book one cover N. GA, W. NC, and S TN. Give directions for a lot of loop rides in this area. After driving around a bit and reading the different tours I think I'll keep the book for reference.

The books are available from Amazon. I bought mine at one of the lodges on the Blue Ridge Parkway gift shop and one book at the gift shop at the Biltmore in Asheville, NC.

I'm sure the folks at Deal's Gap can give you some ideas, too. It's hard to have a bad ride anywhere in that area.

Obviously there's Gatlinburg and Chatanooga TN and Highlands and Asheville NC within easy riding distance of Deal's Gap. Lot's of waterfalls, national and state parks, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. etc. etc.

Have a great trip.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Calico Jack
3rd Gear

Thanks,

Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you stop at resort and pick-up tee shirt and stop at nothern end at over look,it was full when we where down. that close ride thru the smokies to gatlinburg

Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my favorite loops there is Dragon, Cherahola Skyway to Hwy 360, right on 360 to 411, 411 over to 72, 72 back to 129 and Foothills Parkway into Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Lots of other good rides in that area.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Slingblade3
Intermediate

Unless you just enjoy riding the slab, you might want to take U.S. 129 all the way up and get a good warm up for the Dragon once you get into the north Ga mountains.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingblade3
Unless you just enjoy riding the slab, you might want to take U.S. 129 all the way up and get a good warm up for the Dragon once you get into the north Ga mountains.
The only way to fly.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Calico Jack
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice guys, I dont plan to take the "Slab" if at all possible. My route is to go up 441 through Athens (Go Dawgs), then 75 through Helen and then weave my way into 129 for the rest of the trip. Not the fastest route but should be amazing scenery.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cherokee Bike Rally is this weekend. you will be right up the highway.
http://cherokeerally.com/

Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM
tugdrivinj
Cruiser

you've got it pretty well planned out, almost all the roads out there are worth riding. but yeah the dragon cherahola and then loop back up to pigeon forge and even back into cherokee from there is awesome.

uumm ride slow and wear your helmet j/k

by the way happy b-day

Quick Reply: Deals Gap