Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006 | 12:29 AM
jkirisits
|
Road Captain
Default cross country trip

my computer illiterate buddy is planning a trip to sturgis, and then heading to california, down the coast, and then back through arizona, new mexico, texas, etc, until he hits mississippi, and then north on the natchez trace trail till nashville. eventually he will be back in indiana. He is planning on being gone for a month.

His questions... what would you recommend him seeing, and are there any groups heading out from sturgis going west?

let me know, and i will connect you all... (hopefully we can get him computer literate soon) :-)

John

Old 06-14-2006 | 12:34 AM
jhackett
Stage I
Default RE: cross country trip

ok all, I am the one going on the ride. I will check the post soon.

Old 06-14-2006 | 09:38 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Yellowstone. Reno/Tahoe. Yosemite. San Francisco (love that city). Monterey/Big Sur. Highway 1 south to Ventura.

I wouldn't go further south than Ventura. It's a concrete jungle with very little to offer the bike traveler (IMO). If you're military, cruise through Edwards AFB; the lakebeds are something differant.

Avoid I-10 through AZ, NM, and TX. It's very hot, very windy. Very dusty. Not much to see there until you hit the hill country near San Antonio. Take the middle of the US instead. Much more scenic, and less heat.

Go to Vegas. It's differant (in so many ways).

From Vegas, head north on 15, and cut across south UT. Some of the cleanest air and most beatifull country in the US. Go through Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, and Grand Staircase-Escalante Nat Mon.

Go through 4 Corners, Durango, Wolf Creek Pass, and southern CO. Cut south to Taos. Then wander on down to gulf coast.

That would be my dream trip.

Old 06-14-2006 | 11:02 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Did the trip last year from east coast, I would add in Cody Wyoming after Stugis. Of course Black Hills SD when in Stugis area. I would also ride the Bear Tooth hywy if posible, it was closed last year when we were out there. [:@] Did the Columbia River gourge and enjoyed it. Theupper coast of Oregon and down the coast through red woods and across Golden Gate. My advise from there head eastward. Lower California was blasted hot, Needles Ca. was 115 degrees in July.
Bobcowan Is correct about Yellowstone, and south Utah. Rode in Utah three years ago, Utah hwy. 12 was one of the best I've ever ridin. Really liked Capitol Reef at top of 12.