Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Luxembourg and Bastogne

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Luxembourg and Bastogne

We took a road trip up to the American cemetery in Luxembourg yesterday to pay respects to all those who gave their live on this side of Atlantic. That cemetery is immaculate! Was able to see Gen Patton's grave while we were there.

After that we turned our wheels towards Bastogne. I thought we were going to see some battlefields, but time was running short and we needed to eat. We ate at a restaurant called Le Nuts. These words were made famous by General McAuliffe response to General Heinrich Freiherr von Luttwitz who demanded that the Americans surrender. Although we did not get to see any of the battlefield the ride was awesome. I do plan a return trip with the family so we can take the tour and see some history.

Last week we rode through France. It was more of a point in a direction and go kind of ride. I wish I had my Harley earlier in the season. Hopefully next year we will make the ride down to Pompellona to see the running of the bulls... but that is if my deployment is after July. I've done more site seeing on my scoots in the last 10 months than I have then entire 4 years I have been here in Germany....

Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that:

a) The cemetaries are well cared for &
b) You're taking advantage of your location during deployment to actually see some of the world.

One of my major regrets is that while overseas, I nearly always ONLY did the normal drunken sailor things rather than the tourist things.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
88b
Tourer

There's some good riding in central Europe don't know where you are in Germany, but look towards Switzerland / Austria / Italy . The Alps and Dolomites have some good roads, google Grossglockner and Stelvio pass.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the Kaiserslautern area, but just a couple weeks ago we did some riding through the Alps in the Garmich (DE) & Austria areas.... Man that was some scenic riding, but it was raining too, so my wet road experience was doubled in just 4 hours... Not a fan of riding in the rain especially wet roads and rain at 6200 feet on the down slope (LOL)...

I keep telling myself I can't believe I am in Europe doing all this riding... man I am gonna have some good memories when I do return to the states. I think after 13 years in Europe it's time to return home... but I have 3 more years before that time will come

Thanks for the locations... it might just end up being one of our next trips.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,475 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Bcane...hello k-town...very nice area your in...was in heidelberg for awhile...u cant go wrong ridin almost anywhere around germany or austria..look for some of the old roman trading routes(romantic road) or the castle roads and almost any river valley..neckar,mainz or rhine..good luck

Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched the Band Of Brothers this past weekend where they were in Bastogne. Rough!!! A big salute to those who fought that battle.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts
Default Cruisin' Europe

Hey guys, greetings from The Netherlands!

Good to read you're doing some road recce over here in Europe!

Next to the D-Day area in France and the Liberty Road (Route de la liberté) Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge) are some WWII historic places to visit!

If you like to ride in mountainous areas there are some nice spots, like French Alps (Route des Grandes Alpes), Austrian and Swiss Alps, Dolomites (between Austria and Italy), Schwarzwald (Germany) and Vosgues (France) and Les Pyrenees (Spanish/French border line)
Last June I made a 4-day trip with some colleagues fron NLD Army Staff to the French Vosgues and the German Schwarzwald. This video was made in the Vosgues (see attached map):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNY380ZwpwU

Some scenic pics from that trip are to be found in my album https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...june-2009.html.

Now I have retired I'll be able to find some more time to jump on the bike and make longer trips. Right now I'm planning to make a "Grand Tour" next spring in France, doing "La Route des Grandes Alpes" (http://www.grande-traversee-alpes.co...lps-trail.html and "Route Napoleon"

In case you're interested in the maps, use this link: http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...troller/Cartes

Zoom in and look for the roads that have the "green lines" .

For those who have the Garmin, check this site for .gpx files: http://www.gpstracks.nl/. I'm afraid it's in Dutch so if you need some help, just let me know by PM and I will help you out.

Maybe some of you want to join me next year and help to let the HDForom.com mascot travel through Europe?

Kind regards, René

Attached Thumbnails Luxembourg and Bastogne-vosgues-and-schwarzwald.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
BIG NAZ
Intermediate

Yea Nuts was a good restraunt . The sites are very noice. Theres a german cementary near the town of foy. Up near the woodline of noville where alot of heavy fightning took place you can still find the german foxholes aswell as where easy company was dug in overlooking foy. Il prob try and make it down there again. As there is so much to see.