Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southwest Colorado / Rocky Mountain Ride and Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southwest Colorado / Rocky Mountain Ride and Vacation

Hey everyone, I'm back!!! Spent a week up in Colorado (Durango area) and did the HOG Fly-n-Ride out of Thunderbird HD in Albuquerque. They were great there at Thunderbird, too bad I can't say the same for Durango HD... But the folks at Four Corners HD in Farmington, NM were the best of the group... Friendly, gave me some discounts on a few items (without asking)...

Riding in the Rocky Mountains, especially between Silverton and Ouray (without the guard rails) was quite an experience, especially in some of the 15 mph switchback turns with loose rock on road, or when it starts to drizzle.... My wife took most of the pictures and many were taken from the back of the bike... The Road Glide is a nice bike and I started getting the hang of those floorboards and quit scraping up the corners with them... In the pictures you will see the Aztec Ruins, Silverton, Durango, the cabin where we stayed, San Juan river, Navajo reservoir dam, Vallecito lake, Florida river, some falls at a scenic turnout near Ouray, etc., etc....

Sorry I missed Cool Dog... We missed each other in Albuquerque and once I was in the mountains there was no cell phone coverage or internet.... Next time!

Click HERE, then on View Album as Guest then Slideshow...

Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser
Default RE: Southwest Colorado / Rocky Mountain Ride and Vacation

Could you post a quick summary of roads traveled? I am heading that way at the ened of the month outts Ft Worth. Just want to compare my plan to the pics you posted.

Andy

Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

The "best" two are below...

The first route is from Durango, up through Silverton (Breakfast at Brown Bear Cafe) up to Ouray, around to Telluride, Dolores, Mancos then Durango. About 240 miles and five to six hours, depending on how long the stops are for lunch, drinks, etc....

The second route is to the Aztec Indian ruins, after stopping by 4 Corners HD in Farmington. It came out right out 170 miles... From Farmington over to Navajo Reservoir and then up to Ignacio, Bayfield and back around to Durango. Careful of all the Oil Field equipment trucks in New Mexico, especially past the Navajo Reservoir.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>> TX Moores
>> 99 Night Train EVO (would you believe bone stock?)

No. From the picture, it's clearly not.

Those roads you show are excellent rides. Some of the best roadways in the US (IMO). I would add that a short trip up to Norwood is worth the trip.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Great pix TX. Cool Dog mentioned you were in the area and we were all sorry to miss you.

Al. (Whiskers)

Old 06-13-2006, 12:06 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

David,

Some of my favorite riding. We feel very fortunate that we live here and are able to ride these roads on a regular basis.

Would have liked it if we could have gotten together while you where. Next time you are in the area give me a shout if you want.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Bill,
Yes, that area is my favorite riding area and my top three favorites are:[ul]
[1.] Southwest Colorado / Northwest New Mexico
[2.] Texas Hill Country
[3.] Keystone / Spearfish Canyon / Sturgis
[/ul]
I am sure I will catch some grief about other areas, but I like these are they, IMHO, are the most rider friendly. I love the Smokey Mountains and the dragon is unbelievable, but the cagers and trucks make it a less than desirable expiernce....

It seems that my vacations are always over planned and over booked and never long enough... but hey, its a vacation!!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics David.I sure wish I could've made the trip but that's the way it gos (maybe next time).I've always heard how good the riding is in that area and I WILL MAKE THE TRIP SOMEDAY.I'm glad y'all had a good time and ever thing went well.You need to get up to the hill country so we can ride in your # 2 spot and have a few cold ones.Have you bought the toy box yet?We're heading to Big Bend in October if you can find the time to head out with us just let me know.I decided to go there instead of the beach.The wife wants to ride in the Davis Mountains and what the wife wants she usually gets .She says the beach is for swim suits not leathers.Thanks again for the little tour and for making me want to get on the bike and head to Colorado [&o].

Happy Trails!
Craig

Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

Gorgeous pics, thanks for them and the info.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Fantastic pics there David. Still looks a little chilly in them there neck of the woods, but what beautiful landscape. The pics of the train were pretty damn cool too. It's like stepping back in time.

Quick Reply: Southwest Colorado / Rocky Mountain Ride and Vacation