Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florence, Italy (Firenze, Italia)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Florence, Italy (Firenze, Italia)

Just got married in Venice and spent our honeymoon touring Italy. What better way to tour the countryside than in the saddle of a Harley Electra-Glide? While in Florence, we rented an FLHTC, similar to my own back home, and with the help of the rental guy (the local HOG Director) we found our way to the Chianti Hills region. These mountains are a treasure trove of switch-backs and twisting turns through beautiful countryside. Rather than take the same way back to Florence after making to a local biker hang out in the mountains, we struck out on our own and with the aide of a good map identified some major roads that would get us back, but in a round-about way. Highway (?) 301 (in red on the map as a major road) was no wider than a golf path and constantly switched back and forth rise 6,000 feet. I don't think I ever made it out of 1st gear. But the ride was breath-taking, and I would recommend it to anyone. One word of caution though, once we made it back to Florence, the ride was a nightmare. Apparently the rule is; if it fits, its legal. Streets change names every block, lanes, stop signs, one-way signs, and stop lights, are apparently decorations only. Fortunately, a cab driver (that loved Harleys) led us across town to our hotel, (for free!!) otherwise, I am sure we would still be lost. But all-in-all, it was the ride of a lifetime.

So, if you are planning a trip to Tuscany, do yourself a favor, join the other hundred billion or so others there that have discovered that a bike is the only way to get around.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!
Trip sounds like a lot of fun.

Jon

Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

complimenti!

I go to Italy fairly often for work; last summer I was there for three months.

Tuscany & Umbria are beautiful. (Umbria is just like Tuscany, but without the crowds.) The riding in Umbria & Tuscany is incredible! Nice roads, lots of twisties, always places to stop......just remember to go easy on the prosecco when it gets hot before passagiato!

ciao ciao!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dove sono le foto?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 AM
88b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wife and I got back last week, unfortunately by plane and car as she won't go on a bike. We flew into Switzerland ,drove to Germany then down to Lake Garda via the stelvio pass ( she didn't like that either ) From Lake Garda to Venice then down to Florence

Stelvio pass

photobucket seems to have lost some of the pics