Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road side assistance for long trips.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Road America...it is specific to the bikes and cars....meaning it is assistance to whom ever is riding or driving. It is a HOG upgrade for me. HOG membership has a 1 tow a year and limited distance specs. The upgrade covers multiple tows, rental car if needed and hotel discounts if hung up for a few days............
There is also AAA that covers bikes....

Whatever you get....it's peace of mind.....

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jb1023
Does anybody have any actual experience with these companies? My concern is if they are going to call the cheapest auto tow they can or if they will call a company that has experience with bikes.

The only experience I have with these companies is with AAA. I've had to call them for vehicles broken down on the road. And my brother used to work for a wrecker company that AAA used when their owned wreckers were down or busy. They do contract with other wrecker services. The bad thing is, they only pay those wrecker services a measly pittance for making the run. It used to be they'd pay them $15.00 to make a run for them.

So, you get what you get. Sometimes you might get someone that knows what they're doing. Other times I wouldn't trust them to haul a dog house.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I live in Northern Ca - AAA in this area will NOT cover bikes - I have gotten into severl pissing matches about this - bottom line - if you plan to use AAA - call YOUR agent/area and make sure you have coverage...

I carry HOG and have used it twice - each time was a learning experence and in the end, worked just fine.. when calling the 800 number for HOG - if I remember right, I was talking to someone in FL - be patient and make sure you know where you are at... have ALL your bike info ready - its best to have All this on a seperate paper in our pouch - so when the call is made - you will have it... be prepared to educate everyone, its part of the terriotry - IF you have someone else ride ahead and make the calls (because of no cell service) again, supply them with all the bikes info AND provide them with a C/C number and info.. Last time I need them I was on Highway 1 in Ca - got a flat and a BMW rider stopped and said he would call for me at the next payphone... He did and after about two hours, a truck arrived... come to find out - this BMW rider gave the tow company HIS c/c info - Tow company would NOT respond with out a c/c on file... Reason,,, He told us - it has been his experence that sometimes, by the time he arrives son scene - the bike is Gone ???? he wants to get paid for his trouble since the biker never called to cancel - makes sense.. Sure wish I knew the name of the BMW rider - big thanks...

moral of the story,,, do your homework before you hit the road - make sure you have all your bikes infor and insurance / tow info written down - it makes it a lot easier when the time comes...

One BIG advantage of HOG over AAA - HOG will tow your bike to the nearest shop that can service your HD - no matter where that is... My tow on highway 1 was a LONG tow - I am willing to bet AAA would not have done this.... plus, this was on a Sunday... the driver dropped us off at Santa Maria HD / Holiday Inn next door - Monday - bought tire / NO service on Moday - HOG came and got the bike and towed to nearest shop for tire mounting.... Great service... just took a long time..

Last edited by harley0711; 09-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got RoadAmerica thru HOG (with $20 upgrade also). My buddy had the same thing, and they picked him up with a flat tire a couple of years ago, took him a long ways (100 miles?) to the nearest H-D dealer. Didn't cost him a dime. Nicest thing about that plan is they take you to a dealer.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

AAA has decent record of service, but you need to pay for the extra cost of the "Plus RV" membership, which is around $130 per year, to cover motorcycles.

One thing about AAA - it doesn't cover the bike or your car, per se, but it covers YOU. So, if you are in your bike or car, fine, they'll come get you - but if you are in a rental car, or your friend's car, or some other bizarre scenario, they'll come get you also - they are covering the member, not the bike.

There are all sorts of threads on the board about HOG versus AAA. Lots of opinions. Bottom line is this - if you want to hedge your bets, get both...it isn't that expensive - especially considering what you'd pay if you didn't have coverage.

Also check your motorcycle insurance policy - e.g. my Progressive policy covers some of the cost of tows, etc. You may have some additional coverage there.

FWIW. YMMV.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 PM
capman98
Cruiser

I had to use my HOG roadside for a tow last summer outside of Little Rock. the customer assistance was very helpfull and nice people. the only bad part was that it was late in the afternoon on a sunday so it took about 3 hours for a tow truck that could handle bikes could come out. other than that it was good. I highly recomend some sort of roadside assistance for anyone who actually rides any distance.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cybermunster
I had mine towed once using HOG's roadside assistance in Spartanburg, SC and I have to say the service and treatment were of the highest level.
Not a problem or hassle when I called, showed up promptly, clean, well equipped tow truck with a motorcycle specific tow setup. I mean A1 all the way. Didn't pay 1 cent and they even reimbursed me for the car rental because their rep gave me the wrong info (recorded in the original call).
Needless to say we renewed our membership.
It is definitively worth it to us as we do fairly long trips and plan on doing them more often, I guess with certain things there's never enough protection..8]
i have the extra coverage through hog roadside for an extra 19.95 a year. was towed once the company was great flat bed with a dolly for the bike

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
AAA has decent record of service, but you need to pay for the extra cost of the "Plus RV" membership, which is around $130 per year, to cover motorcycles.

One thing about AAA - it doesn't cover the bike or your car, per se, but it covers YOU. So, if you are in your bike or car, fine, they'll come get you - but if you are in a rental car, or your friend's car, or some other bizarre scenario, they'll come get you also - they are covering the member, not the bike.

There are all sorts of threads on the board about HOG versus AAA. Lots of opinions. Bottom line is this - if you want to hedge your bets, get both...it isn't that expensive - especially considering what you'd pay if you didn't have coverage.

Also check your motorcycle insurance policy - e.g. my Progressive policy covers some of the cost of tows, etc. You may have some additional coverage there.

FWIW. YMMV.

As I have stated before - don't think your AAA will cover you - call your agent and check... I live in Turlock CA -- Northern CA AAA will NOT sell the RV/Motorcycle tow coverage...

Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

My HOG Roadside service saved me. Broke down in Bumfu(k, Idaho and got a flatbed within about an hour-and-a-half. Me and the just-got-out-of-prison-but-a-nice-guy driver shot the breeze and he told me about his lame-*** prison tats. Dropped me at a motel, and the boss picked me up the next morning and hauled me to a dealer 250 miles away. Totally professional.

The HOG lady on the phone was ALL messed up with what they would pay so I was out of pocket over $500 immediately. After I finally made it home and wrote them a long letter and included receipts, HOG reimbursed me for everything though!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Saen O'Neill
Stage IV

Save your money, HOG was an extreme let down in the W.Va. mountains. The operator advised me that she couldn't help because the nearest dealership was closed and could not locate the own I was in. Besides, unless you are traveling during the week or on saturdays before 4pm the shops will more than likely be closed. My advice, prior to leaving check for all HD shops along your route. Get phone #s and street addresses also check for local riding clubs in the areas you travel and ask if they have anyone (road angels)that can help out in-case of a breakdown or blowout. Good luck to all in your travels.

Quick Reply: Road side assistance for long trips.