Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help with Yellowstone trip plan, please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
toe_hold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5PM traffic jams

Not necessarily caused by the 4 wheel road hogs but the 4 legged! We were there last summer and it seemed around 5PM there were animals that decided to get up and cross the road. Great time to see'em up close.

We had a herd of 30-40 bison cross a stream and then head up the road. All car traffic stopped and we had a gap of 40-50 yards between the four of us and the closest car that was in front of us.

The entire herd came right at us, walking, on our side of the road. They got with 20ft before they changed over to the other side of the road. Was pretty cool until one of the big boys stopped and started staring us down. Woah baby were we sweet talking that guy He kept staring us down until a cow came up behind him and nudged him forward. We were all ready to drop the bikes and run.

Saw loads of bison, some elk, a long female moose's rump going away from us and a sow & 2 cub crossing the road. Oh, and pat attending to the rangers in their trucks!! If you see them together standing on the side of the road I'd bet they are getting ready to stop traffic so a bear can cross the road. Saw that twice. The bear must be tracked somehow.

Yeah, Tetons are great.

TH

Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
HDdeluxeGAL
Tourer

Toe Hold. Great Picture. WE got to ride through Yellowstone this past year but missed the Tetons. We are headed back next year and plan to stay in the area for a few days to enjoy the roads and area.

To the OP, listen to what these people are saying, and STILL plan to go back.
GNP Going to the Sun Road was an awesome ride. Montana and Wyoming just make you say "WOW!!" out loud repeatedly. It truly is beautiful country.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
highdollarscooter
5th Gear

I agree with advice given. I was just out there this August for my first time, and solo. I got some good advice from this forum. Don't jam to many things in one trip, I did. You just have to go back, I sure am. Cant remember the name but that road through the Indian reservation was neat, as is Cody, and Buffalo Bill State Park. Also the Museum,I spent all day in there,the gun room is amazing if you like that kind of thing. Leave plenty of time in the park, traffic doesn't move to fast, 45 spd lmt anyhow. Definitely take warm clothes and rain gear. I was in 2 inches of snow on top of the Big Horn Mt's , never did that before on a scooter. Whatever you do you'll have fun. The things you'll see are awesome, I found myself more than once saying that out loud under my helmet Way better than the corn fields and cow barns in Ohio. Ive never heard anyone mention extra fuel but if you can find room for a little I'd take some, it'll make you feel better blasting across those big states. Enjoy your trip!

A couple mentioned the loop in the park but they closed Norris canyon rd on the west side the day I got there, August 15 or 16 . I don't know if they close it the same time every year or not. You might check if its in your way.

Last edited by highdollarscooter; 10-19-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As alot of people said I would do Glacier as another trip. I know you want to ride, but thats all you will be doing. We went out to Yellowstone from Cleveland. Gone 12 days still didn't see everything we wanted. You HAVE to do the Beartooth. Tetons are cool . Jacksons yuppie heaven. If you drive or ride back go thru SD check out the audiotapes/cds at the first rest stop. You used to be able to rent them and drop them at the last rest stop. They tell the history of the state buy mile marker. Check out Walldrug its at tourist trap but a lot of cool stuff there. MT Rushmore, Sturgis (after the ralley a lot of good deals), Badlands, Dont spend your whole trip trying to get somewhere it will get old fast. Take your time and see the west its great. Wyoming HP got me speeding 77 in 65, let me off with a warning, told me he did not want to ruin my trip. Still have the warning ticket with the pics. They dont cut much slack on the posted limit, seen lots of people pulled over. West Yellowstone has alot of motels, the lodges where booked, you have time to make reservations anywhere. It will be a trip you will never forget. I am envios.